Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barcelona trip. Any tips/advice

Looking to book a weekend trip to Barcelona to catch to Bilbao game jan 16/17 (we're away to hull) with wife and 2 kids aged 13 & 11.
Wife and I went in 99 to game and loved it. Kids have always asked if we can go.
Flights are cheap, so ok with that.
Read on Internet that as most tickets are held by season ticket holders it can be better to wait until they are released by fans usually week prior to game. Any advice on best way to purchase tickets would be great. Seem to save a fair bit by organising myself rather than tour operator.
Would welcome any recommendations on hotels ( family room ), resturants. Somewhere to get good steak,seafood.
My budget is mid range.

Comments

• Options
    Bring me along, the 17th is my birthday
  • Options
    Watch your wallet and your wife's handbag.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    You just need to wander around the port and there are some great seafood restaurants.

There was one we went to that had pictures of all the Barcelona players on the wall as it was a favourite of theirs, was reasonably priced and was brilliant. I'll try and think of the name but not sure how much luck I'll have!
  • Options
    My sons too.
    Said we'd take him away next year to wash away the memories of Watford on his birthday last year.
  • Options

You just need to wander around the port and there are some great seafood restaurants.

There was one we went to that had pictures of all the Barcelona players on the wall as it was a favourite of theirs, was reasonably priced and was brilliant. I'll try and think of the name but not sure how much luck I'll have!

Remember having nice meal on seafront back in 99, potluck which one we chose so be nice to get recommendation.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Dont try and see Barcelona FC... When you come back and see Charlton it'll be even more depressing
  • Options

My sons too.
    Said we'd take him away next year to wash away the memories of Watford on his birthday last year.

Yep. What a great 21st celebration that daytime was.

While I went with a university big band last year in the summer, there's still a bit of actual advice I can give:

- La Sagrada Familia is totally not worth it. WAY too busy all year round.
    - Tapas is great pretty much wherever.
    - Seafood is something to have as soon as you get there given when fishermen actually go and fish. "Never eat fish on a Monday" rings true in Barcelona
    - I've heard great things about Patagonia (apparently it's a steak restaurant) - as the name suggests it's Argentinian based which I promise is the way to go for a bit of steak
    - Beer is fantastically cheap. Most alcohol is.
    - As someone else said, be careful of your wallet and such. Avoid carrying too many valuables if at all possible. On Las Ramblas - carry things on your front (no backpacks) for best security. I resorted to backpack over my front. Not pretty, but effective, a la Diego Costa.
    - Las Ramblas is actually sort of shit to be honest
    - Generally speaking, people are able to speak English. Decent lingua franca.
    - Catalan pride is quite strong.
  • Options

Is he travelling back in time to the year 2000?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't go.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    La Sagrada Familia is absolutely beautiful. You don't need to go in to appreciate it. Decent Ice Cream stall outside too.

Tapas is great pretty much wherever, just remember you get what you pay for.

Beer is fantastically cheap. Most alcohol is. ESTRELLA!

As someone else said, be careful of your wallet and such. Avoid carrying too many valuables if at all possible. This is typical of most cities, but Barca definiely has the edge on pick pocketing...

I was pissed as a fart at 10pm walking down Las Ramblas and managed to not get pick pocketed. I was led to a bar by some kind fellows though. (got home with more money than I took out)

Las Ramblas is actually sort of shit to be honest, Agree but there is a beautiful port at the end of it if you make it past all the dodgy merchandisers.

Generally speaking, people are able to speak English.
  • Options
    Im going there this friday, (my 3rd time). Staying in hotel Inglaterra, (2nd time) right in the middle of it where you want to be, lovely hotel and not too expensive. ive got tickets for the Villareal game on sunday, which i bought about a month ago, 2 tickets not together but literally a row apart 160 euros. Bought them via the website which was easy enough and printed them same day at home.

http://www.hotel-inglaterra.com/es/ofertas.html?gclid=CLuG5JLM9sgCFQXkwgod92IFnw hotel link if you are interested.
  • Options

Went there 2 years ago. Place was absolutely rife with petty crime - and was actually sitting in a restaurant when some bloke came in off the streets, walked up to a table with 3 women sitting at it and just tried to lift one of their handbags. Waiting staff never batted an eyelid and just carried on as before.

Know all big cities have their problems with "petty" crime but this place has a serious one. And if you don't believe that, just go there and drop your guard and see what happens.
  • Options
    Don't go. But if you do go when I was out there they had a stand on Las Ramblas selling tickets for both Barcelona and Espaynol home games to tourists
  • Options

Don't go. But if you do go when I was out there they had a stand on Las Ramblas selling tickets for both Barcelona and Espaynol home games to tourists

That sounds too good to be true...
  • Options
    Just go to the ground the day before and do the museum tour. Can buy tickets there.

If I recall correctly you can also buy tickets from some ATM machines too
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Went there 2 years ago. Place was absolutely rife with petty crime - and was actually sitting in a restaurant when some bloke came in off the streets, walked up to a table with 3 women sitting at it and just tried to lift one of their handbags. Waiting staff never batted an eyelid and just carried on as before.

Know all big cities have their problems with "petty" crime but this place has a serious one. And if you don't believe that, just go there and drop your guard and see what happens.
    Been there over 50 times, spanning 40 years. Stayed in some grim shitholes with relatives, nice hotels with partners and experienced everything it has to offer and more. The crime is no worse now than it is in Oxford Street. In fact, I could step out of my office on Bond St right now, walk 200 yards in either direction and find you two groups of pickpockets cruising.

Up until about 2005, petty crime was much worse than in London. Since then, every visit I've made its got less frequent. Yes it still exists, but take the same basic precautions you would in London, New York or Paris and you are at minimal risk.

Still stinks up near Parc Guell, mind. They'll never sort that out :smiley:
  • Options
    Great city to visit and agree that La Sagrada Familia is not worth paying to go into but is worth a look from the outside. We really like the Picasso museum I'm not art fanatic but this is a kind of history of his art and i found it pretty intesresting. Visited the Olympic Stadium which was also great.

Buy a rover ticket for the metro which is very cheap and is briliant to use. Agree the Marina is good for restuarants there is also a very good restaurant near the beach called Agua not cheap but excellent food. We also ate at Messan David don't be put off by the location the food was brilliant as was the atmosphere.

Enjoy I would live there is a heartbeat if i could convince Mrs. Dave
  • Options
    Can you bring back Messi to SE7 please, just fold him up and but him in your suitcase.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knowing this lot Greenie they would play him in goal
  • Options
    The cable car is excellent!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Can you bring back Messi to SE7 please, just fold him up and but him in your suitcase.

No thanks. I'd rather our team was shit than have a drugs cheat involved.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I was thinking Iniesta, the whole tax thing with messi could turn into a nightmare.
  • Options
    You can buy tickets on the fc barcelona website - really easy, can pick your exact seat(s), think they do print at home option as well.
  • Options
    Great place to visit (think its now the No.1 city visit in Europe). Las Ramblas is fantastic, but as others have said above, watch out for pickpockets and handbag snatchers and keep hold of bags in restaurants. Lots of eastern-bloc gangs operating. Also Las Ramblas is fine in the day - avoid late at night when it seems to be full of prostitutes, drug dealers and transvestites....
  • Options
    Good choice for a family trip.
    recommend this place down by the port full of locals and great atmosphere - brews its own beer the dark one is great or have a pint of mixed. Food is reasonable except for prawns for some reason !
    http://vasodeoro.com/index.html
    As well as other suggestions enjoyed looking round the old Olympic complex and museum - good views from there too.
    Metro is fine but found with a family that cabs were as cheap - nothing like London prices.
    We stayed in a family room in a central hostel as were on a budget - in retrospect would have been better to have had a bit more comfort in the eves as city breaks can be tiring work .
    Have a great time
  • Options
    Heading there on Friday in anticipation for the game on Saturday against Granada...can't wait.

Second time back to this great City. And going with my Dad and brother's. We got it as my Dad's 60th Birthday present - saves taking him to Charlton to watch the dross on the pitch atm ;)