Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Spain

2»

Comments

• Options
    IA said:

Having just watched David Beckham's All Star charity Match , it makes you realise that if we didn't win anything with those players, this current crock ain't coming close

So true, especially as quite a few other nations are very strong at the moment, Germany in particular.

Our best chances were 96 (most of the big teams poor, home advantage) and 2004 (Greece FFS. and the Czech were the best team so no one stood out).

But for Gazza sliding an inch further or Rooney's foot injury, maybe....

This is the Germany who struggled over Scotland and lost to both Poland and Republic of Ireland?

I think they're a long way off how good they were at the World Cup.
    Bet they'll sort themselves out in time for next summer!
  • Options
    2010 World Cup could have been very different had the Lampard goal stood

We weren't great in South Africa, yet coming back from 2-0 down against Germany could have been like Jackson's goal against Cardiff just before half-time, we could have come out in the second half a different side allowing us to push on in the rest of the Tournament
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:

IA said:

Having just watched David Beckham's All Star charity Match , it makes you realise that if we didn't win anything with those players, this current crock ain't coming close

So true, especially as quite a few other nations are very strong at the moment, Germany in particular.

Our best chances were 96 (most of the big teams poor, home advantage) and 2004 (Greece FFS. and the Czech were the best team so no one stood out).

This is the Germany who struggled over Scotland and lost to both Poland and Republic of Ireland?

If England had been on the other side of the draw in 2002, it would have been an England-Brazil final, imo.
    If Gary Neville and Steven Gerrard were fit we would have won that world cup.
    Possibly.

But with the teams the way they were, the best three (Brazil, England, Turkey - in that order, in my opinion) were all on the same side of the draw. The German team that made the final were very weak.
  • Options
    IA said:

Daddy_Pig said:

IA said:

If England had been on the other side of the draw in 2002, it would have been an England-Brazil final, imo.
    Possibly.

But with the teams the way they were, the best three (Brazil, England, Turkey - in that order, in my opinion) were all on the same side of the draw. The German team that made the final were very weak.
    Was only two years after their disastrous Euro 2000 Campaign as well wasnt it...

(Know we didnt do much better that year)
  • Options

IA said:

Daddy_Pig said:

IA said:

Possibly.

Was only two years after their disastrous Euro 2000 Campaign as well wasnt it...

Yes.

To be honest, if Roy Keane hadn't walked out, Ireland could have been in that final - that's how weak that side of the draw was. Even without him, they still drew with Germany.
  • Options

2010 World Cup could have been very different had the Lampard goal stood

We weren't great in South Africa, yet coming back from 2-0 down against Germany could have been like Jackson's goal against Cardiff just before half-time, we could have come out in the second half a different side allowing us to push on in the rest of the Tournament

I have often wondered that - although I don't remember it, the 1970 quarter final against Germany springs to mind. England 2-0 up and cruising and then losing it as the Germans pegged us back.

Had the goal been allowed suddenly the wind is really knocked out of the German's sails. Still, if me auntie had b*****ks and all that.
  • Options
    In 2002 England came second in their group on goals scored behind Sweden after a nil nil draw against Nigeria. If we'd won the group, we would have faced Senegal, then Turkey in the quarters, and faced Brazil in the SF instead of the QF.

That Germany team that got to the final is pretty low down the list of great German teams!

GK 1 Oliver Kahn (c)
    CB 2 Thomas Linke
    CB 5 Carsten Ramelow
    CB 21 Christoph Metzelder
    RM 22 Torsten Frings
    CM 8 Dietmar Hamann
    CM 16 Jens Jeremies Substituted off 77'
    LM 17 Marco Bode Substituted off 84'
    AM 19 Bernd Schneider
    CF 11 Miroslav Klose Substituted off 74'
    CF 7 Oliver Neuville
    Substitutes:
    FW 20 Oliver Bierhoff Substituted in 74'
    FW 14 Gerald Asamoah Substituted in 77'
    MF 6 Christian Ziege Substituted in 84'
    Manager:
    Rudi Völler
  • Options
    edited November 2015

IA said:

Daddy_Pig said:

IA said:

Possibly.

And 9 months after we beat them 5-1.