Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Central Midfielder in the world?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Iniesta for me.

From the last generation, Scholes - described as the perfect midfielder, by Iniesta!
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

Marco Verrati

Great shout.
  • Options
    Verrati is absolutely class.

In the champions league games against Chelsea last year he was unreal.
  • Options
    Modric or Matuidi (PSG) , looking forward to watching him tonight vs England
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midfielder#Attacking_midfielder

Nice Wiki page on the various types of midfielders!
  • Options
    He's by no means the best, but Cazorla is worth a shout here too I think if you can count him as a central midfielder.
  • Options
    Defensive Midfielder: Xabi Alonso
    Box to Box: Pogba
    Attacking Midfielder: Ozil.

Give it a couple of years and Verratti/Thiago will be there too.
  • Options
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Ivan Rakitic, pretty much barcelonas replacement for Xavi and has filled his boots very well, scored the opening goal in CL final and was a class act at Sevilla before just 26 too.

(Sorry if he was mentioned)

Agree also with Pogba, Modric, Ozil, Matuidi, Iniesta.

Genuinely think Jack Wilshere has the potential to be world class if he keeps himself fit, which is proving a struggle. Still just 23.
  • Options
    Iniesta, still only 31 years old.
  • Options
    Vidal - he was great last year in the champions league. modric is one of my favs, reminds me of Pirlo - whos still one of the best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pogba of Kroos for me.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Ivan Rakitic, pretty much barcelonas replacement for Xavi and has filled his boots very well, scored the opening goal in CL final and was a class act at Sevilla before just 26 too.

(Sorry if he was mentioned)

Agree also with Pogba, Modric, Ozil, Matuidi, Iniesta.

Genuinely think Jack Wilshere has the potential to be world class if he keeps himself fit, which is proving a struggle. Still just 23.

I'm a big fan of Wilshire as well. Hope that he goes on to fulfil his potential. On his day he is an top player. But as you say, fitness is going to be the thing that stops him.
  • Options
    Been very impressed with Payet but hard to judge without CL exposure.
  • Options
    Dele Alli.
  • Options

Dele Alli.

Our own Yaya Toure in a couple of years
  • Options
    Pogba certainly showed his abilities tonight, give him a year or two and he'll be right up there with the best
  • Options
    Amazed at how little mention David Silva has got on here. Absolute wizard.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Amazed at how little mention David Silva has got on here. Absolute wizard.

He is a great player, I was trying to think of who influences games most in recent history and came up with Messi (forward) Zidane (retired) Scholes (retired) Pirlo (genius) Pogba (starting to look the real deal but not there yet) Keane (retired) Veira (retired) Ronaldo (forward) Bergkamp (retired) Henry (retired) Iniesta (getting old)
  • Options
    How I loved watching Xavi and and still do Iniesta.

• Options
    6 months ago we may have been saying Matic and Fabregas were in with a shout
  • Options

Pogba certainly showed his abilities tonight, give him a year or two and he'll be right up there with the best

Also gave the ball away for our first goal. A raw talent and a bit too inconsistent for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Also gave the ball away for our first goal. A raw talent and a bit too inconsistent for me.
    He came on at half time didnt he?
  • Options
    tgarrat1 said:

He came on at half time didnt he?
    Yeah replaced Matuidi (Remember us being linked with him years ago) at Half-Time
  • Options
    Worlds best midfielder....Rolands got to be up there, he's good at pulling the strings.
  • Options
    Random thread to bring back up but was just thinking to myself, is Kante now truly established as one of the best? Think it'd be hard to say he's not, there's definitely nobody better at what he does.
  • Options
    Not now but when Parker went to Chelski, even though he wasn't an England regular, I'm not sure I've seen a better midfielder. Deceptively quick, tenatious tackler, pass short and long, beat people with the ball, keep it, up and back, he had everything. Chelsea turned him into an average DM.