Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wearing the wrong number

With the news that #RicardoVazTwo has been given a right-back's number to wear, I was wondering what other Charlton players were either given completely the wrong number; or denied the opportunity to wear the obviously-appropriate number.

Stuart Balmer playing at right-back with a number one on his shirt is an obvious one.

And why Yado Mambo was never given the number five shirt, I will never know.

Who else got the wrong number?

Comments

• Options
    The fact that Gomez wore number 3 last year and Kashi has it this year bothers me more than it should
  • Options
    That whole 1. Balmer, 2.Bolder....season was just weird.
    Can only recall Argentina 78 squad doing the same.
  • Options
    Marcus Bent wearing number 6 when he joined. Switched with Kishishev (number 7) for the following season.
  • Options
    Both Samuel Eto'o and Diego Forlan have worn number 5
  • Options
    Chizz said:

With the news that #RicardoVazTwo has been given a right-back's number to wear, I was wondering what other Charlton players were either given completely the wrong number; or denied the opportunity to wear the obviously-appropriate number.

Stuart Balmer playing at right-back with a number one on his shirt is an obvious one.

The Stuart Balmer one was because we assigned our numbers in alphabetical order wasn't it ? Were other clubs doing the same at the time ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Chizz said:

The Stuart Balmer one was because we assigned our numbers in alphabetical order wasn't it ? Were other clubs doing the same at the time ?
    No other clubs were doing this at the time
  • Options
    They could have alphabetized the squad AFTER removing 1, 13 &22 though surely......We just looked goofy that year, but imagine if that was our only gripe this season...Karlan wearing #1
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

se9addick said:

Chizz said:

No other clubs were doing this at the time
    And I can't believe none have done it since !
  • Options
    Not for us, but Gallas wearing 10 was always weird. Italian teams wearing the number of their birth year is a bit weird too, a club would have no number 7 and they're first team winger would wear something like 87!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why has Chris Solly never worn the No 2 shirt? Other players have changed numbers to one of the "prestige" 1-11 shirts, like Cousins switching to 8
  • Options
    Hermann Hreidersson wearing number 7 for Iceland
  • Options

Why has Chris Solly never worn the No 2 shirt? Other players have changed numbers to one of the "prestige" 1-11 shirts, like Cousins switching to 8

He had worn quite a few numbers before 20 as well
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Glen Johnson wears number 8 and Clint Dempsey is another who wore number 2.

Gyan (Ghana) has always worn number 3 despite being a forward.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Back in the day when continental sides, in particular Italy when I was in short pants, switched to only having 4 at the back as opposed to the British 'W' formation the defence were numbered RB 2, CB 3, CB 4 and LB 5.

More recently the late Ray Kennedy striker / inside forward wore 10 at Aresenal and then 5 playing for Liverpool.
  • Options

That whole 1. Balmer, 2.Bolder....season was just weird.
    Can only recall Argentina 78 squad doing the same.

For some reason I can't really explain I liked it. Quirky and different.
  • Options

Both Samuel Eto'o and Diego Forlan have worn number 5

Surprising we didn't push on when they were here.
  • Options
    Edgar Davids wore no.1 at barnet
  • Options
    Hicham Zerouali wore the number 0 while at Aberdeen, was outlawed by SFA and England the next season. Quality little player and tragic he died at the age of 27 in a car crash.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's the wrong number?

First numbered shirts at the 1933 cup final were 1 to 22

• Options

The fact that Gomez wore number 3 last year and Kashi has it this year bothers me more than it should

I really hate it for some reason. Vaz Te being number 2 is the final straw for me. Roland out, Katrien out, Vaz Te out. I've had enough of this circus
    Yes, those bloody Belgians have gone all Magritte and started introducing surreallist shirt numbers
  • Options
    edited November 2015

What's the wrong number?

Judging by that picture, 12
  • Options
    Chizz said:

What's the wrong number?

Judging by that picture, 12
    I suspect nobody wanted the unlucky 13 shirt.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Marcus Bent wearing number 6 when he joined. Switched with Kishishev (number 7) for the following season.

Marcus Bent should never have worn our shirt, let alone have a number on the back.
  • Options

Ross said:

Marcus Bent should never have worn our shirt, let alone have a number on the back.
    He had one on recently with 40,000v on it.
  • Options
    I would like to think that giving him the number 2% shirt is KM taking the piss (again)