Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    a hero to the physio maybe (kept him in a job I suspect!)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    For pete's sake
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    This will be Conor McAleney in 20 years time - a real Charlton hero.

But you're right. He only played about 10 games didn't he? Good player yes. Hero, no.
  • Options
    In 13 Games !
  • Options
    He's no Cory Gibbs.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Good article to be honest... Always liked Rowett when he played for us and though it harsh when his career was cut short by injury, the rumour that we had an injury curse over the club at the time (and has returned is confirmed): Until that point I had virtually never been injured

He seems like someone who is going to have a good Managerial Career though, could see him suffering either relegation or the sack with Birmingham if he gets them into the Premier League though as he doesnt have that experience, hopefully it isn't the later as reckon the relegation that Curbs suffered, made him a better Manager (You could say the same about Sean Dyche)
  • Options
    They got confused with the other Gary that has Birmingham and Charlton connections .

Gary Poole.
  • Options
    It obviously wasn't his fault that he got injured, so I've got nothing against him. Nor is it his fault that Curbs chose him rather than to stick with Jorge Costa. (there are two "inside' stories of whether or not Costa was prepared to stay at the Valley, and I believe the one that says he was prepared to do so)

The odd bit is that it is pretty well known that Curbs suggested to Richard Murray that he might consider resigning over the Rowett purchase - but RM told him not to be silly. But then the question is what mistake did Curbs think he made? There seems to be two possibilities

1. That he could and should have kept Costa

2. That, despite what Rowett says in the article, there was some kind of pre-existing fitness issue which either should have been picked up, or was ignored.

No idea myself. But whenever I hear Gary Rowett's name it gives me a bad feeling despite there being nothing in his own conduct I could criticise (and good for him that he is proving a capable manager). It just seems to be a milestone in our downturn, somehow.
  • Options
    It was well documented that he had knee problems, how did he pass the medical ? & then to cap it all we paid Leicester £4m just as they were about to go into administration.
  • Options

It was well documented that he had knee problems, how did he pass the medical ? & then to cap it all we paid Leicester £4m just as they were about to go into administration.

This might be a whooosh but we didn't and that was one reason that Leicester went into admin.

We paid something like £250k up front with the rest based on appearances because we knew he had injury problems. Obviously we never paid much, if any more.

But LCFC put the full £4m on their books as a debt which the accountants said they couldn't. £3m gap in accounts = administration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have I read it wrong or does the article on the OS says that Gary Rowett currently manages Burton Albion.
  • Options
    Sark99 said:

Have I read it wrong or does the article on the OS says that Gary Rowett currently manages Burton Albion.

Does sound like an old Interview as he discusses being in League Two
  • Options
    Rowett, unfortunately was not with us long enough to be rated a real 'hero' .. BUT Curbishley REALLY rated him as a top defender, waited a long time to get him AND any player that highly rated by Lord Llewellyn will do for me .. Rowett is proving decent as a manager .. but any manager nowadays walks on thin ice, sits under the sword of Damocles etc. etc. ....
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Tried to nick my jacket at poty do, or so I thought whilst in a state of drunkeness and challenged him on it before we were asked to leave