Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

peanut seller

anyone remember the bloke on the east terrace during the 70's selling peanuts. He seemed to target me by creeping up behind and scream PEANUTS!!. Scared the crap out of me every time.

Comments

• Options
    Can remember a bloke selling peanuts during the sixties.
    He used to wander the terraces shouting “peanuts tanner a bag”.
  • Options
    Yeah....I remember him well, I think it was "peanuts ROASTED PEANUTS" haha, frightened the bloody life out of you, they were bloody nice though.
    How about the Roasted Chestnuts? now they were delicious!
    Happy days eh..............
  • Options
    Unshelled peanuts, possibly more than one guy, yeah he did shout. Also a horse chestnut seller I think. I was in the middle of the East stand in those days with my dad.
  • Options
    I don't think the peanuts were Percy Dalton's............made his own up!
  • Options
    If we're talking east terrace, what about the gate half way up about in line with the penalty box (JS end). It cost you nine pence to get through to the halfway line, was free later on in the game.
  • Options
    Why would anyone be selling conkers at a football ground?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Horse chestnut seller was also at to of Floyd Rd, my Dad used to get me some after the game,quite emotional remember ing ,days I will never get back

Sweet Chesnut guy did a raring trade and retired to Beckenham in 1976, the bloke selling the Horse Chesnuts went bankrupt an subsequently conkers, sad sad story!
  • Options
    Peanuts roasted peanuts chwenty P.
  • Options
    Yep. Didn't he also sell the"Golden Goal" tickets too?

Peanuts. Roasted Peanuts.

The good old days....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember him very well, but the spooky thing was that if you occasionally went to another ground/game (e.g. Spurs) when we were playing somewhere distant, that guy used to turn up there as well. He seemed to cover every ground in London...
  • Options
    My pitch was very close to the players almost on the pitch!!! I remember being gobbed on several occasions when passing along the Jimmy Seed end with my tray of peanuts, early sixties I think.
  • Options

Can remember a bloke selling peanuts during the sixties.
    He used to wander the terraces shouting “peanuts tanner a bag”.

He did indeed shout that and also "six a bag of nuts".
    A tanner being sixpence of course :-)
  • Options
    I've told this story before .. BUT .. for a while, I used to take my then girlfriend to the Valley until she 'divorced' me for inflicting cruel and unusual punishment .. she used to laugh her head (notice my politeness here) off when the peanut man came round .. she was convinced he was yelling .. PENIS, PENIS .. hahaahhaahaha
  • Options
    'Peanuts, Roasted Peanuts'. Made my day when my Dad bought me a bag - it was different back then as a kid!
  • Options
    Used to be able to buy Roasted Chestnuts at the top of floyd road a swell.
  • Options
    I remember him I went to Arsenal v Sunderland with a Sunderland fan in the early eighties and was really surprised to see him there I think he alternated between the Valley and Highbury. I hate to say it but I suspect he made more money at Highbury.
  • Options
    Sweet Chesnut guy did a raring trade and retired to Beckenham in 1976, the bloke selling the Horse Chesnuts went bankrupt an subsequently conkers, sad sad story!

Ha ha, - your right of course. (Thought those conkers were hard to digest! )

• Options
    I recall pranksters in the crowd shouting out ‘ere ah mate’ into their fisted hands. Peanut seller would get more and more enraged as he trudged up and down the terrace chasing non existent customers. On some occasions he’d be shouting, “Don’t mess me about”, almost as much as “Peanuts”.
  • Options
    "Keep your hands off me nuts!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ere are mate. Those were the days. Used to stand in the away end. Couldn't do that now.
  • Options
    I do remember him, and a shell covered east terrace.
  • Options
    Also remember the bloke outside the ground selling programs shouting “official ear”.
  • Options
    That's a flash back in time,also running behind the goal when it poured with rain.
  • Options
    I used to chase the peanut man all round the East terrace trying to get him to stop. And he did use to turn up at West Ham too.
  • Options
    Alan Dugdale and myself still talk and laugh about the peanut seller on the East Terrace,what memories
  • Options
    What larks eh Pip.
  • Options
    3:30 winners and haaalf times.