Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Aldgate East

2»

Comments

• Options
    Well I am a bit more posey so probably why liked it ha.

They all went bit downhill when turned into Agenda abacus apt chain of similar bars.

Loved the 80s bar up Watling street and Bar Med by Finsbury square. Thursday and Friday's in the city from 88-08 were great.
  • Options
    Well I'm less posey but was more a Minsters then Minories man , prolly due to the very limited success I had in there pulling when compared favourably against the complete drought I had from my Minories efforts
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Was it called Revolution? I remember going into that club on me jacks after a Christmas work do, show's how pissed I was I thought it was called Dianes (She was probably the bird I was boring the legs off pretending to be a stockbroker or sumin) .....

Also Minories, knew a couple of the door staff (Stilks etc) so we'd have a good go in there on a Thurdsday night an all.

I prefered the city on a Thursday or Friday night than the West End on a Saturday meself

Preferred Minsters to Minories probably because once I saw someone take a dump between two fruit machine one Friday night in Minories.
    Sorry about that. I'd been on it since lunchtime and had a really dodgy curry the night before.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    MrOneLung said:

Well I am a bit more posey so probably why liked it ha.

They all went bit downhill when turned into Agenda abacus apt chain of similar bars.

Loved the 80s bar up Watling street and Bar Med by Finsbury square. Thursday and Friday's in the city from 88-08 were great.

Me and my mate went in there the night it opened. Reflex on Watling st if that's the one you mean? We had been on a session early doors and got in there earlyish when it had just opened....knew from the minute we saw the life size cut outs of the Hoff that it had potential to be a cracking venue.

Was disappointed at how empty it was as it was literally just me, my pal and the bar staff and worried it would be one of these gaffs that opened on the Thursday and closed due to lack of business by the following week. In our drunken concern asked to see the manager who fair play to him invited us into his office and entertained us by listening to this pair of prized pricks slurred business plan and "advice" on how this place was amazing and should be packed and our suggestions on how to get it filled. He just politely smiled and nodded.

We walked out of his office half hour later to a jampacked nightclub wall to wall with punters. They obviously knew what they were doing and didn't need the help of SE London's Chuckle brothers. Was too obliterated to even feel a sense of shame.

Ended up back there practically every week in the mid 2000s and always a cracking night.

Brittania at Monument was also a good place around that time too.

• Options
    The Ship and Crutched Friars are good pubs within walking distance. The East India Arms is a nice pub if you can put up with the Shepherd Neame beers. Meanwhile, if you want a really disappointing drinking experience, walk the other way and try the Ten Bells.
  • Options

What was the club called oppo 1 America Square in Crosswall? Used to be Dianes think, closed now I'd thought

Revolution is actually in America square if your talking about the club on the road that runs past the square where you went in and downstairs then I think that was called Charlie's
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

What was the club called oppo 1 America Square in Crosswall? Used to be Dianes think, closed now I'd thought

Revolution is actually in America square if your talking about the club on the road that runs past the square where you went in and downstairs then I think that was called Charlie's
    Yeah, Charlies, thought it was a name. Cheers Smiffy
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Charlie's was the one in the basement. The council shut them down after their 'gentleman's evenings' got a bit out of hand!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

smiffyboy said:

Charlie's was the one in the basement. The council shut them down after their 'gentleman's evenings' got a bit out of hand!
    Yeah that's the one, just a door onto the street and then you went down stairs.
  • Options

Was it called Revolution? I remember going into that club on me jacks after a Christmas work do, show's how pissed I was I thought it was called Dianes (She was probably the bird I was boring the legs off pretending to be a stockbroker or sumin) .....

Also Minories, knew a couple of the door staff (Stilks etc) so we'd have a good go in there on a Thurdsday night an all.

I prefered the city on a Thursday or Friday night than the West End on a Saturday meself

I'd prefer the seventh circle of hell to the West End.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10 Bells :wink:
  • Options

Minories back in the day was impossible not to pull on a Friday and a great start to the weekend. Minsters always seemed a bit more posey. Charlie's and City Ale and WineHouse were the other late night ones and were ok.

That lot rings a bell.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Me an all tbh, a night in the West End would always end up with us getting the first train home on the Sunday morning after a night either in West End Central or Saint Thomas's
  • Options
    @RodneyCharltonTrotta I was also in Reflex on its opening night. And Abacus.

My late night venue of choice in those days was either Mithras or Silks and Spice
  • Options
    Browns of Shoreditch was always worth a visit from Friday lunchtime onwards an all ; )
  • Options
    .......remember the lovely Laura in Browns, my first love as an apprentice back in the day. Use to stick a fiver in the pint glass when she came round
  • Options

se9addick said:

Me an all tbh, a night in the West End would always end up with us getting the first train home on the Sunday morning after a night either in West End Central or Saint Thomas's

se9addick said:

The 100 club in Oxford Street was handy if your into Northern Soul, started at 1am and went onto 7am.
  • Options
    Anyone know if the square rigger is still there, had some great times there in the 70s wall to wall crumpet
  • Options
    Rob was this before Dianne met Jeremy ?
  • Options

Rob was this before Dianne met Jeremy ?

Cor dear me R, I just chucked me Wheatabix up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Browns of Shoreditch was always worth a visit from Friday lunchtime onwards an all ; )

Only if you had 10p pieces that sounded like pound coins when you dropped them in the glass.
  • Options

@RodneyCharltonTrotta I was also in Reflex on its opening night. And Abacus.

My late night venue of choice in those days was either Mithras or Silks and Spice

A man of class ;-)