Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricardo Vaz Te tipped to be a success at Charlton by West Ham legend

"What’s important at this level is to have players with experience of the league. It’s without a doubt very good business and in the Championship he's proven..."

Full quotes:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14110197.Exclusive__West_Ham_legend_adamant_former_Hammers_star_will_be_a_success_at_Charlton/

Comments

• Some interesting comments there
  • Would this be the same Tony Cottee who said he was "astonished" by Leicester's appointment of Claudio Ranieri and it represented a "huge gamble"?

So, we can rely upon him then.......
  • What's the difference between across the front and up top?
  • edited November 2015

What's the difference between across the front and up top?

For fear of a whoosh it depends what formation you are playing I would say up top is the target man or twin strikers, accross the front includes the wide men in a 4-2-4 or 4-3-3 (4-5-1 when defending) or derivation thereof. Don't forget TC is 50 and from yesteryears' old school formations a bit like me :wink:
  • cafcfan said:

Would this be the same Tony Cottee who said he was "astonished" by Leicester's appointment of Claudio Ranieri and it represented a "huge gamble"?

Give him a break. We all thought it was a dodgy appointment
    Morning Nick how's the head :wink:
  • cafcfan said:

Would this be the same Tony Cottee who said he was "astonished" by Leicester's appointment of Claudio Ranieri and it represented a "huge gamble"?

The fact that the gamble seems to be paying off doesn't mean it wasn't a gamble in the first place.

• Tony Cottee questions Charlton's managerial model and transfer policy:

"I don’t particularly understand why anyone would appoint someone without not only experience of English football, but also the Championship..."

Full quotes:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/14140206.Former_West_Ham_and_England_striker_criticises_Charlton_Athletic___s_managerial_model/
  • cafcfan said:

That's the thing about big gambles, when they pay off they tend to pay off big.
  • I really think and certainly hope that Vaz will be a great success .. danger of course is that if he really does the biz, he'll be in big demand after his short contract with us finishes
  • Sponsored links:

• Been an absolute revelation so far.......
  • edited January 2016
    I witnessed his brief cameo at Birmingham and thought he could be ok for us. Last night he just didn't seem to want to know. Now whether he didn't like being played up top on his own or is still not 100% fit I don't know but I do know that at twice his age I would gave put more pressure on the ball! Definitely did not look interested sad to say.
  • He's got some ability but like all of our strikers, he's feeding on the merest of scraps. Until we get a settled defence and midfield, there will be nothing getting through to the forwards. On top of that, he probably hasn't got the stomach for feeding off scraps and hasn't got the legs to chase lost causes.

I don't see how we can ever play any sort of pressing game with partially fit players and John Jackson in midfield. We could manage it for about 20 minutes and then we'd blow out (exactly like the Bournemouth game last season). So we have to sit deep and try to break....but again we've got very little pace to break. Even our two main full-backs haven't got
    the pace/lung power to keep us driving forward and the one full-back who is quick (THD) seems to have problems with his defensive work.

Assuming we don't get any new players we need to get something like the following out onto the pitch asap....

Hendo-Solly Bauer Johnson THD-Cousins Diarra Poyet Harriott-JBG-Vetokele

Subs Ceballos Makienok Reza Williams Jackson Lookman Pope

Spares; Vaz Te Lennon Ba
  • He got Charltonised really quickly!