Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fury and Murray

2»

Comments

• Options

LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

Yet people loved brunonand henman despite both being slighlty above average. Henman had no personality either and Bruno... Never quite got the appeal. I bet if fury and Murray were middle class and English they would be more popular even if everything else stayed the same

You are a tough crowd. Henman was ranked in top 17 in world for 8 consecutive years.
    Reached the semi final in all four grand slams too.

Perry and Murray are the best two British players since majors abandoned the Challenge round. Bunny Austin, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman, in order of when they played, are fighting it out for 3rd in my view and, for me, Tim probably shades it for excelling at all four major veenues.

Henman didn't reach an Australian Open semi.
    I stand corrected!

My point still stands though. 3 out of 4 is still better than all but the very best.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

Yet people loved brunonand henman despite both being slighlty above average. Henman had no personality either and Bruno... Never quite got the appeal. I bet if fury and Murray were middle class and English they would be more popular even if everything else stayed the same

You are a tough crowd. Henman was ranked in top 17 in world for 8 consecutive years.

Perry and Murray are the best two British players since majors abandoned the Challenge round. Bunny Austin, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski and Tim Henman, in order of when they played, are fighting it out for 3rd in my view and, for me, Tim probably shades it for excelling at all four major veenues.

I stand corrected!

My point still stands though. 3 out of 4 is still better than all but the very best.
    Like Miss Wade for example.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Brits hate winners

Not at all, look at the love for Conor McGregor atm
    Ah, but do they realise he's a Dub?? :wink:
  • Options
    I think Andy Murrays unlucky to be disliked.
    It's because a lot of people's first horror film was Carry on Screaming and he looks the spit of Oddjob.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

You are right of course, and Bruno was a world champ - one of only 5 Brits - but moving the goalposts they were still plucky underdogs compared to e.g. (Mike) Tyson and sampras... Murray is unlucky to be around at the same time as djokovic, federer and nadal, but can still be considered as worthy of their league
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

"top 17" !
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Brits hate winners

Not at all, look at the love for Conor McGregor atm
    Think he meant British winners.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

I stand corrected!

No disputing the achievements of Virginia Wade at all.

However the Davis Cup is a tournament for men only hence the natural restriction of the discussion on the thread to men.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

I stand corrected!

No disputing the achievements of Virginia Wade at all.

However the Davis Cup is a tournament for men only hence the natural restriction of the discussion on the thread to men.
    But the Grand Slams aren't and you mentioned them.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

MrOneLung said:

McBobbin said:

Surely he wasn't fully erect?

No wonder he struggled with the return of serve.