Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bass players

13»

Comments

• Steve Harris, the bloke out of Oysterband (Chopper?) and the God that is Pete trewavas.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

John Taylor from Duran Duran didn't play bass on the initial studio albums he was too pony it was session men.

Source?

I've seen reviews of early Duran duran live shows, and his playing was highly rated. John Taylor himself have mentioned how he likes the track Rio as the bassline made his reputation, which hardly ties with session players being involved
    Sorry, people I know in the business, its common knowledge (allegedly), and John Taylor would say that wouldn't he.
    There was an interview in NME in the 80's with Duran Duran and John Taylor said he has no idea what strings he uses, but he knows what shirt he is wearing at the gig. He really was pony when they started.

Mind you its not unusual, a lot of live bands just cannot cut it and dont have the discipline to play accurately in the studio. Ronnie Lane, The Faces bass player didn't play bass on their first album, not considered good enough, the bass was played by my mate Dave S.

Get Dave S Down the Half Moon! That bassist from Strictly who turns up is fugging amazing, but I don't want to be accused of mentioning obscure names just for the heck of it.
  • Saga Lout said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

John Taylor from Duran Duran didn't play bass on the initial studio albums he was too pony it was session men.

Source?

I've seen reviews of early Duran duran live shows, and his playing was highly rated. John Taylor himself have mentioned how he likes the track Rio as the bassline made his reputation, which hardly ties with session players being involved
    Sorry, people I know in the business, its common knowledge (allegedly), and John Taylor would say that wouldn't he.
    There was an interview in NME in the 80's with Duran Duran and John Taylor said he has no idea what strings he uses, but he knows what shirt he is wearing at the gig. He really was pony when they started.

Mind you its not unusual, a lot of live bands just cannot cut it and dont have the discipline to play accurately in the studio. Ronnie Lane, The Faces bass player didn't play bass on their first album, not considered good enough, the bass was played by my mate Dave S.

Get Dave S Down the Half Moon! That bassist from Strictly who turns up is fugging amazing, but I don't want to be accused of mentioning obscure names just for the heck of it.
    Dave S has played at the Vigo.
    John H, That bassist from Strictly, is in Sweden playing on Agnatha from Abbas new album at the moment , he's a lovely bloke and what a player.
  • Greenie said:

Saga Lout said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Source?

Dave S has played at the Vigo.
    John H, That bassist from Strictly, is in Sweden playing on Agnatha from Abbas new album at the moment , he's a lovely bloke and what a player.
    Wouldn't have minded playing on Agnetha a few years ago...
  • Halix said:

Peter Hook using the bass as lead guitar
    Sid Vicious using the bass as an weapon
    Macca (if only to use the bass as a dildo and take his music and go fuck himself)

Corrected...
  • Richard Sinclair
    Ron Carter
    Microslav Vitous
    Stanley Clark
    Jaco Pastrious
    ... Just a few of the great ones
  • Mick Karn - master of the fretless bass
  • edited December 2015
    McBobbin said:

Flea. I'm not a chili peppers fan but every bass player I know rates him (not a large or impressive sample, but all of them).

Donald duck dunn on loads of my fave soul tracks

Flea absolutely shits on most of the names on this thread. Say what you will about the chili pepper's most recent album (it was turd) their musicianship, particularly with John Frusciante is possibly unparalleled in contemporary mainstream music.
  • McBobbin said:

Flea. I'm not a chili peppers fan but every bass player I know rates him (not a large or impressive sample, but all of them).

Donald duck dunn on loads of my fave soul tracks

Flea absolutely shits on most of the names on this thread. Say what you will about the chili pepper's most recent album (it was turd) their musicianship, particularly with John Frusciante is possibly unparalleled in contemporary mainstream music.
    Hahaha - play a bit do you?

I like the Chillis seen em a few times, good band, but behave.
  • always loved this bass on the let the sunshine in half of this song by the 5th dimension. go to 2min 18seconds on the vid....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06X5HYynP5E
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2022
    Mick Karn , Japan ......... whoops allready mentioned by me , oh well still the man for me .
    https://youtu.be/7IanvhpoGCA

• Love the sound of Naomi Yang from Galaxie 500 playing bass 
  • Les Claypool

Danny Thompson

Robbie Shakespeare
  • edited October 2022
    What makes a good bass player..?
    Jaco Pastorius and many others mentioned here would not call themselves 'Bass players'. 
    They are composers using the bass.
    Some of the most memorable  bass lines are very simple, but they are perfect...

• I think Mohini Dey could give him a run for his money.