Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wikipedia's christmas bonus??

I notice they are asking for donations to keep the site going. I use Wikipedia often to find out all kinds of info so I was about to donate some money when I then thought the majority of the sites pages are put together by the people reading them. meaning they don't get paid. so what's all this fund raising about when they suggest they are a non-profit organisation?

Comments

• Options
    For their server costs I think
  • Options
    Wikipedia is one of the world's most heavily trafficked sites. The cost to run their servers must be astronomical. They have full time staff too, who ensure the mandate of the operation is fulfilled. Generating the content is only one part of the process.
  • Options
    ahh, that makes sense.
    i found out though they do have millions stashed away, they are saying the reason for that is if this annual fund raiser doesn't raise the significant amount of cash needed for the running of the site the extra 50 million they have will be used in emergency. which i guess sounds plausible.
  • Options
    They are always looking for donations and I suspect if everyone that goes on there donated £1 it would be massively more than is required. To be honest it is a bloody brilliant service,

Can't say I have ever got around to donating though. Might change that this year.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Wikipedia is one of the world's most heavily trafficked sites. The cost to run their servers must be astronomical. They have full time staff too, who ensure the mandate of the operation is fulfilled. Generating the content is only one part of the process.

CL a close second though
  • Options
    I donated a few quid last year when I saw them asking, and got an email last week to see if I'd do it again - which I did. I use it a fair bit fwiw and they don't plaster the pages with any adverts so I don't mind chipping in.