Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Krakow

I'm going to Krakow for a city break in January, my first time in Poland.

Have any of you been there, got any tips on what I must see/do?

I know it's cold!

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Auschwitz isn't far away is it?
  • Options
    DFT,

Had a few nights there before and after Poland v England (the rained off game) a few years ago.

It's a lovely City and was on the shortlist for my stag next year.

Lovely, picturesque old town and main square, surrounded by bars and resturants where you can watch the world go by. I loved the underground scene - that being all the amazing bars and resurants that are built underground and out of sight (I think because of the extreme cold in the winters).

I could not recommend a particular bar or resturant, as we were smashed most the time, but there were plenty and very good value could be found. We managed to find some clubs but i'd never be able to find them again.

Auschwitz is worth a visit if you are interesed in that kind of thing, but is a sobering experience, esp on a hangover!!!

I'm sure others could offer a lot more cultural advice but it was a great place to just spend a few days eating and drinking tbh and the locals were spot on, but then most English were staying in Warsaw where the game was held.

Enjoy!! I'd certinally return in future.

Oh and wrap up warm if you're going in Jan!!
  • Options
    Salt mines are worth a visit. There's some good beers around too, particularly one around 7.6% which unsurprisingly I cant remember the name of.
  • Options
    Stay in the old town. Visit Auschwitz and The Salt mines. Allow a whole day for Auschwitz and half for Salt mines. Use one of the numerous tours to do both. Do plenty of walking. Restaurants are great and cheap by British standards. Bars numerous and excellent. Look down ally's and through doorways to find hidden bars often in basements. You will enjoy. It's a great little city.
  • Options
    Lovely city. Salt mines and Auschwitz are good shouts, we did a city tour in a Trabant that included a history of the communist era.
  • Options
    The beer is 'Okocim Mocne' and apparently I was exaggerating as it's only 7.1%
  • Options
    I'm going there in March for a Stag as well actually
  • Options
    Great town, and full of culture, you will not be bored.
    Some great bars, and eating places.
    The Main Market Square is a bit 'touristy' like Covent Garden.
    Oscar Schindler's Factory, and Auchwitz, although heartbreaking, and terribly sad should be part of compulsory education in schools, pre GCSE age.
    Stayed at the Hotel Stary, but went out for meals, 20 seconds walk from the main square.
    Enjoy.

• Options

Lovely city. Salt mines and Auschwitz are good shouts, we did a city tour in a Trabant that included a history of the communist era.

They're done by 'crazytours' I think....a day trip to zakopane and the tatras mountains is well worth it, kazimierz has some great bars and caffs, about 1.5 from rynek glowny. Cracowonline and the TripAdvisor forum has lots of useful info
  • Options
    Underground/cellar bars are pretty cool, wouldn't say any one in particular but it's good to wander around and go in a few as there are loads
    Restaurant that I found was really good for trying different Polish food in the city centre was 'Chłopskie Jadło' - it's a bit touristy/safe but had all the typical Polish dishes I was told to try out
    There's a great burger place called Moaburger which I can't recommend enough (and a really small 'Vodka Bar' a few doors down that does loads of different flavoured vodkas)
    Auschwitz is something that'll stick with you forever (can definitely be excused for avoiding it on a stag do though)
    I've heard that once you've seen 15mins of salt sculptures you're pretty much done at the Salt Mines but haven't been myself
    Old/Jewish Quarters are good for a visit/walk
    Castle at the top of the hill is decent for a walk as well - can't remember the name of it
    Try Zubrowka (bison grass vodka) and apple juice (literally just the concentrated stuff) with ice - it's great... this is probably old news though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Trams, and the Museum of Municipal Engineering located in a former tram depot.
  • Options
    The women!
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your tips. I suppose I should do Auschwitz but it might be depressing and I've only got 4 days, don't want to get all depressed, I'll see. I've heard the All Souls Alley horror thing is good. I've looked on TripAdvisor as I'm vegetarian and like to check the food scene before I book anywhere but it all looks good and there seems to be plenty of bars. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Not been - but been to Warsaw 2 or 3 times. Very friendly people. All of them said "If you like the old town in Warsaw - you've got to see Krakow!".
  • Options

The women!

Oh yes mate, Polish women!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Apparently, it's legal to carry a gun out there. My son was out there a few weeks ago. They got talking to a nice bloke in one of the bars, who showed them his gun (insert joke). Good luck.
  • Options
    Really nice city. Auschwitz is definitely worth a visit if you have the time, a really worthwhile experience, have something to cheer you up lined up for after! Nice city square and some good bars. I wasn't there for too long and I went in the Summer, but I imagine it is beautiful in the winter. Went to a good club there, no idea where it was or what it was called as had been on the beers for quite some time, but maybe if you drink copious amounts you'll find it too?
  • Options
    D_F_T said:

Thanks to all for your tips. I suppose I should do Auschwitz but it might be depressing and I've only got 4 days, don't want to get all depressed, I'll see. I've heard the All Souls Alley horror thing is good. I've looked on TripAdvisor as I'm vegetarian and like to check the food scene before I book anywhere but it all looks good and there seems to be plenty of bars. I'm looking forward to it.

Moa place does some huge veggie options and greenest is good for cheap veggie stuff
  • Options

The women!

Hmmm....

• Options
    I went a few weeks ago for four days with three mates. As other people have said Auschwitz isn't too far. Probably about an hour in a taxi. That's really an all day thing to do.

Souls Alley was also very good and there's a shooting range close by which we went to. At night I'd recommend the Krawl through Krakow bar crawl. They meet every night in the middle of the square at 9. They're easy to find, just look for the pink pub crawl sign being held up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Apparently, it's legal to carry a gun out there. My son was out there a few weeks ago. They got talking to a nice bloke in one of the bars, who showed them his gun (insert joke). Good luck.

Erm, he must have been in a very dodgy place. Gun laws are about as strict as they are in the uk
  • Options
    Auschwitz, Salt Mines and the Amber market in the main square are all great
  • Options
    Oh and Zakopane and the Tatra mountains are amazing too, but that's a bit far to travel for a day if your only there 4 days
  • Options
    Personally thought the salt mines were cack. Some good night clubs, beautiful city
  • Options
    I would say take in a Wisla Krakow game but the Ekstraklasa breaks in January
  • Options
    rina said:

Erm, he must have been in a very dodgy place. Gun laws are about as strict as they are in the uk
    It was in quite a nice bar and as weird as it sounds he seemed a reasonable guy... Not that I'll be meeting up with him for drinks again any time soon :-)
  • Options
    Took daughters for October half-term holidays last year. Auschwitz & Berkenau visit solemn but totally enthralling. Youngest was 13 and loved the trip. Definitely a life changing experience and at around £25 each for guided tour with coach transfers its not expensive. We stayed in town centre in an apartment (Sleeping in Krakow). Cost around £50 per night for nice two bed place in the main square by the cathedral. As for weather it was around freezing during days when we were there and couldn't get warm so spent much of time drifting between coffee shops. The trams are best way to get around and it cost about £1.00 for a ticket that lasts around 40 minute and they run every few minutes. From the airport the bus to town centre costs £1.00 if i remember right. A great getaway and as others have said very cheap compared to home.
  • Options
    I thought the Salt Mine was one of the best attractions I've been to. Incredible. Down there for 4 hours, not bored in the slightest.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hotel all booked, private car transfer from airport all booked. We're going on January 8th and really looking forward to it, thanks for all your tips, definitely gonna be seeking out the basement bars and Zubrowka! We will do Auschwitz.
    We do a different city break every January, it's the best time IMO as flights/hotels are cheap and there are no queues for the all the tourist sights!
  • Options
    Don't know if you like oriental / vegetarian food but if you do Pod Norenami comes highly recommended.