Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga

Off to Riga early Sunday morning for 3 days, anything worth seeing/doing?

Comments

• Options
    Hope he's expecting you! There's a beautiful cathedral in Metz and quite a few old forts and a basilica too.
  • Options

Off to Riga early Sunday morning for 3 days, anything worth seeing/doing?

It's a lovely place mate, the main square is beautiful and the woman are cracking too. If you're on a stag do, be careful, some of the bouncers at the clubs are robbing bastards. We didn't have any problems when we were there, but spoke to quite a few groups of lads that did.
  • Options
    Climb up the church spires for great views. Lots of art nouveau buildings too. The changing of the guard at the war memorial is fun to watch (don't get in their way!). It's a city where you need to look upwards!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Just me and the gf going, so no stag related problems!
  • Options
    Been a couple of times with Blackpool for pre season a few years back, great place. Avoid some of the nightclubs which can be very dodgy but lots of great bars and food. Lovely people as well. Would recommend the war museum, not nice but its incredible what the Latvians went through in WW11. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Booze and cigarettes cheap.
    'Dances' very expensive.

Loads of Finnish go over there for the weekends.
  • Options
    Be careful, a colleague went there recently for a nice 'massage' and needed to see his doctor a couple of weeks after coming back.
  • Options
    If you go to the Victory pub then don't venture downstairs with the missus...

It's all so innocent upstairs - a nice English themed pub.
  • Options
    Old Town is very nice. Shedloads of decent bars and eateries.

Went with the wife last year for my 40th. The canal/river boat tour which sets off from close to the war memorial is good. Although the canal might be frozen at this time of year!

The walking tours are all good and you'll get a bit of history.

Not sure if its still running but the Burlesque show in the Old Town is also worth seeing.

Wife wanted to go to Riga Zoo while we were there - its a tram ride away, but cheap to get in and quite a nice way to spend 2/3 hours.

I didn't get to see any Ice Hockey while I was there (they were away) but if they have a home game I'm told it is pretty enjoyable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks everybody, been really helpful. We're only there two days, so I've put together a rough itinerary including the canal boat trip, main square, the castle, a church or two, a museum or two and the christmas/artists market.
  • Options
    Cracking City - Stopped there for a day/night before Estonia v England.
  • Options

Be careful, a colleague went there recently for a nice 'massage' and needed to see his doctor a couple of weeks after coming back.

knob rot?
  • Options
    Have a pint in the skyline bar, its on the top floor of the Radisson and the views are amazing
  • Options
    ads said:

Have a pint in the skyline bar, its on the top floor of the Radisson and the views are amazing

The views are okay
  • Options
    Seek out the Art nouveau buildings.