Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carlisle

2»

Comments

• edited December 2015
    The problem is waterlogged pitches are up to the club to sort out. Same as having to pay players, you need to pay for a pitch good enough for your division. If your pitch is not up to scratch and you cannot afford the upkeep then you need to cut costs, including players. If that means they miss out on promotion then so be it. A dangerous precedent would be set if the FL had to bail out every club whose pitch was frozen, waterlogged or otherwise unplayable.

I can sympathise with a club who faces similar fixture congestion but it is in no way unfair, Carlisle will face more difficulties in terms of their football and business from having to play somewhere else for the foreseeable future? What does Coleman propose, that Carlisle play the rest of their home fixtures in April, or that Accrington are allowed to have a back-up pitch ready on the morning of the game so in case the pitch is waterlogged the entire stadium can decamp to a nearby back-up? Because realistically speaking he is suggesting one of those two alternatives.

I think this bloke needs some perspective. Again I'm struggling to see why he has made this outburst? Comparing his situation to Carlisle's is apples and oranges.
  • Fiiish said:

The problem is waterlogged pitches are up to the club to sort out. Same as having to pay players, you need to pay for a pitch good enough for your division. If your pitch is not up to scratch and you cannot afford the upkeep then you need to cut costs, including players. If that means they miss out on promotion then so be it. A dangerous precedent would be set if the FL had to bail out every club whose pitch was frozen, waterlogged or otherwise unplayable.

I can sympathise with a club who faces similar fixture congestion but it is in no way unfair, Carlisle will face more difficulties in terms of their football and business from having to play somewhere else for the foreseeable future? What does Coleman propose, that Carlisle play the rest of their home fixtures in April, or that Accrington are allowed to have a back-up pitch ready on the morning of the game so in case the pitch is waterlogged the entire stadium can decamp to a nearby back-up? Because realistically speaking he is suggesting one of those two alternatives.

I think this bloke needs some perspective. Again I'm struggling to see why he has made this outburst? Comparing his situation to Carlisle's is apples and oranges.

Carlisle are 5th / Accrington are 6th, both sides are in the Play-Offs and are separated by just the one point... Accrington already have two games in hand on Carlisle and if they win those two games will go into the automatic promotion slots.

At the same time I guess Coleman is worried that if his team have too many games to catch up on, fitness will come into play and will be big factor down at League Two level, subsequently that'll mean Accrington could fall away (and finish mid-table) which in the long run could cost Coleman his job because fans / owners only tend to think short term and not at the bigger picture
  • edited December 2015
    I meant more in the context of how this was disseminated to the media? Did he go out of his way to blast the FL over their handling of the Carlisle flood or was he responding to a question over whether he thought that the Carlisle flood was an issue for him?

Fair enough to have a moan about fixture congestion but every club has to deal with fixture congestion at some point, especially lower-league clubs. The fact that there is a flood a hundred miles north has little bearing apart from the fact both clubs are looking for play-offs. Maybe if they finish in 6th and 7th then there might be some discussion to be had.
  • I've just had that chilling realisation that we could be playing Accrington next year.
  • cafctom said:

I've just had that chilling realisation that we could be playing Accrington next year.

Who are they?
  • cafctom said:

I've just had that chilling realisation that we could be playing Accrington next year.

To be fair, I'd rather go there than some of the new, soulless places like Derby or Middlesbrough.
  • cafctom said:

If we stay up in the Championship we could be playing Burton Albion
  • IA said:

cafctom said:

Who are they?
    Exactly.
  • cafctom said:

Never lost to Accrington Stanley.
  • I'm in Cumbria for Christmas. It really is incredible what's happened here. Kendal looks like the end of a disaster film. I decided not to use this footpath.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tragically, I've just seen on the news, that another storm is going to hit Cumbria in the next 24 hours.
    There is already more flooding today, after all the rain in the last few days.
  • cafctom said:

I saw Accrington Stanley earlier this season, as they won at Barnet. Their best player Josh Windass will move on in January, his old man (Dean Windass) has been touting him around.
  • Terrible flooding up there. Note the cross bar

Their players have volunteered to help out locals with cleaning and tidying up as well. Well done them.

That is about 7 foot of water
    It's the gigantic oil slick that worries me. Millwall are not in that division yet are they?