Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Government announcement on airport expansion

... is to put off an announcement until the summer. It's like pushing peas around your plate.
There are a number of issues here. Cameron would look pretty stupid in announcing airport expansion - be that at Heathrow, or Gatwick - as the World Climate talks conclude in Paris. There's also the threat of resignation by Zac Goldsmith, MP for Richmond, should Heathrow have been declared the site at which to expand. Putting off the decision - which Cameron previously announced would be made before the end of the year - also conveniently puts off the decision until after the London Mayoral elections.
So, the "Greenest Government ever" (Cameron, ha ha) kicks the can down the road, and leaves thousands of Londoners and Home Counties residents on tenterhooks.
My view? Don't expand at all! Instead, put effort into combating global warming and back the Green Economy.
Over to you...

Comments

• Options

... is to put off an announcement until the summer. It's like pushing peas around your plate.
    There are a number of issues here. Cameron would look pretty stupid in announcing airport expansion - be that at Heathrow, or Gatwick - as the World Climate talks conclude in Paris. There's also the threat of resignation by Zac Goldsmith, MP for Richmond, should Heathrow have been declared the site at which to expand. Putting off the decision - which Cameron previously announced would be made before the end of the year - also conveniently puts off the decision until after the London Mayoral elections.
    So, the "Greenest Government ever" (Cameron, ha ha) kicks the can down the road, and leaves thousands of Londoners and Home Counties residents on tenterhooks.
    My view? Don't expand at all! Instead, put effort into combating global warming and back the Green Economy.
    Over to you...

And encourage teleporting
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Over to you...

Or telephoning. Often does the job.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Over to you...

We need more airport capacity. It's that simple. It will be Heathrow because anybody flying into London wants to fly to a real London airport. Gatwick is fine for holidaymakers.

• Options

Over to you...

Gatwick makes far more sense and is more ecologically sound.
  • Options

Over to you...

We need more airport capacity. It's that simple. It will be Heathrow because anybody flying into London wants to fly to a real London airport. Gatwick is fine for holidaymakers.

What does this mean? Fair enough Heathrow is best for connecting flights, but if your destination is, say, central London, and if they're all equally well connected with fast routes, then does it matter which one you fly in to? Maybe other people like to hang around at an airport, I don't know.
  • Options
    IA said:

Over to you...

What does this mean? Fair enough Heathrow is best for connecting flights, but if your destination is, say, central London, and if they're all equally well connected with fast routes, then does it matter which one you fly in to? Maybe other people like to hang around at an airport, I don't know.
    What I should have said is anyone needing to fly to London. Business is not interested in Gatwick.

• Options
    Heathrow should be expanded, but instead of building a third full runway the north runway should be made double long, which has the least environmental impact and cheapest building costs. I still believe a Thames Estuary airport would be of great benefit, taking the strain off of Heathrow and Gatwick, or even turning Stanstead into a Mega airport
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

PL54 said:

Over to you...

Or telephoning. Often does the job.
    Works for the devil RD
  • Options

IA said:

My view? Don't expand at alhttp://forum.charltonlife.com/post/quote/70290/Comment_2327007l! Instead, put effort into combating global warming and back the Green Economy.
    Over to you...

What I should have said is anyone needing to fly to London. Business is not interested in Gatwick.

That's a bit sweeping. The Gatwick Express takes you to Victoria, and didn't I read it is becoming very frequent now? Admittedly, Crossrail will finally connect Heathrow with the business areas of London, but Gatwick is hardly further out from London than CDG is from central Paris. And speaking of Paris, Orly still does OK.

I don't normally agree with @Anna_Kissed 's more radical viewpoint, but he has a reasonable point. If we had real high speed rail like in France or Germany you could put internal UK flights out of business at a stroke, freeing up loads of slots at Heathrow.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Over to you...

Gatwick makes far more sense and is more ecologically sound.
    Unless you want to get out of the south east once you land (or vice versa), in which case Gatwick is a pain in the arse.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another case of government infrastructure decision making paralysis. Add to this the lower Thames crossing and the critical situation re. electricity generating capacity. Cameron is so concerned looking over his shoulder at the likes of Johnson and Goldsmith that he is in danger of losing the plot. He is lucky, that under the leadership of comrade Corbyn, there is no effective opposition.
  • Options
    There is only one proper solution.

Boris Island.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

There is only one proper solution.

Boris Island.

I do like a vainity project.
  • Options
    IA said:

Over to you...

IA said:

My view? Don't expand at alhttp://forum.charltonlife.com/post/quote/70290/Comment_2327007l! Instead, put effort into combating global warming and back the Green Economy.
    Over to you...

That's a bit sweeping. The Gatwick Express takes you to Victoria, and didn't I read it is becoming very frequent now? Admittedly, Crossrail will finally connect Heathrow with the business areas of London, but Gatwick is hardly further out from London than CDG is from central Paris. And speaking of Paris, Orly still does OK.

I don't normally agree with @Anna_Kissed 's more radical viewpoint, but he has a reasonable point. If we had real high speed rail like in France or Germany you could put internal UK flights out of business at a stroke, freeing up loads of slots at Heathrow.
    Paris has four runways. Amsterdam six. London needs a new runway probably at both Heathrow and Gatwick.

Cross rail hasn't been built for nothing.

• Options

IA said:

Over to you...

IA said:

Over to you...

Paris has four runways. Amsterdam six. London needs a new runway probably at both Heathrow and Gatwick.

Cross rail hasn't been built for nothing.

Well indeed not. I wonder if it is still for the same reasons as in 1974 when they first started planning the bloody thing. 1974....visionaries, us Brits. And yet there's a headline claiming it will be delivered on time and on budget. Laughable

Take your point about the runways at the other airports, though. LHR is the only airport I fly to regularly where there is stacking almost all the time. Flown this year into Frankfurt, Madrid, CDG and JFK, straight in, in each case.

• Options
    There are hardly any domestic flights at Heathrow (apart from the big cities) as there isn't the space. Hence why people in the regions tend to transfer in Amsterdam, or use Emirates via Dubai

• Options
    All the while London is losing its status as a hub for world aviation...
  • Options

There are hardly any domestic flights at Heathrow (apart from the big cities) as there isn't the space. Hence why people in the regions tend to transfer in Amsterdam, or use Emirates via Dubai

If that's the case, why not expand capacity at the regional airports, so they can fly direct rather than having to transfer in the first place?