Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon to return to Plough Lane

13»

Comments

• Options
    Does our history only go back to 1984?
  • Options

But they didn't lose their club - its still exists. It didn't go into administration or went bust, it simply moved. Same as Arsenal (who also changed their name to reflect their new area)

Wimbledon became MK Dons.

How did they not lose their club?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

But they didn't lose their club - its still exists. It didn't go into administration or went bust, it simply moved. Same as Arsenal (who also changed their name to reflect their new area)

You're talking a 12 mile move versus a 65 mile move.

MK is nothing to do with Wimbledon other than taking their league position and SOME of their playing staff.

Arsenal evolved from Dial Square (Royal Arsenal, Woolwich Arsenal, The Arsenal and now Arsenal) and kept the majority of backroom and playing staff when they took their 12 mile move (Let's ignore the latter 0.25 mile move to the Emirates).

sorry, but distance is immaterial. Same club, just different ground. We moved to Selhurst, Leicester moved from Filbert Street, Derby from the Baseball ground. All the same. All MK Dons did was to change their name. If Hull City had change to Hull Tigers would that make them a different team ??

I know I am in the minority - a very big minority, but history is history - you can't change it. AFC Wimbledon were formed in 2002 & so can't have won the FA Cup in 1988. The team that won it simply moved to a new ground & changed their name. They had the same players, were in the same league the next season (AFC Wimbledon have come through the league structure to be in League One now).

I'm not saying that it was right, but that is what happened. In my mind they shouldn't have given the Cup back, but that's more to do with pleasing The League & trying to placate their fans. I really don't care about either team but you can't simply change history because it doesn't fit in with what you think should be.
    Short short memories. What happened to Wimbledon could easily have happened to us. Would we still think that “moved” club was charlton?

What the hell have all the recent protests been about? That the club is the fan’s, not the owners. Wimbledon fans formed AFC as a Phoenix club, in my opinion it’s the same club, it has the same fans and the same colours etc.

If we had completely lost both charlton to palace swallowing up the club (as noades dreamed) and losing the valley, would you reject a Phoenix club formed in or close to se7 by CAFC supporters? Would you fuck, you’d be with the “new” club with the other cafc supporters and call that the same as CAFC

The fans are the football club.
    Yes, I would have probably supported a new club, but that's not the point. MK Dons didn't get swallowed up by another club, they simply moved to a new ground & changed part of their name (they kept the ...........don bit to show who they are). Just like Arsenal - they dropped the "Woolwich" as they were no longer in that area, but are they a different club to Woolwich Arsenal - I think not.

As I said, I had enough of this. You'll not get me to change the way I think & I believe history is on my side.
    You must be the only who still believes this. Even MK Dons don't. They do not claim they have ever won the FACUP. In fact their website even says the club were formed in 2004 from the ashes of Wimbledon. All THEIR history starts from them as per them.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

MK is nothing to do with Wimbledon other than taking their league position and SOME of their playing staff.

Arsenal evolved from Dial Square (Royal Arsenal, Woolwich Arsenal, The Arsenal and now Arsenal) and kept the majority of backroom and playing staff when they took their 12 mile move (Let's ignore the latter 0.25 mile move to the Emirates).

sorry, but distance is immaterial. Same club, just different ground. We moved to Selhurst, Leicester moved from Filbert Street, Derby from the Baseball ground. All the same. All MK Dons did was to change their name. If Hull City had change to Hull Tigers would that make them a different team ??

I know I am in the minority - a very big minority, but history is history - you can't change it. AFC Wimbledon were formed in 2002 & so can't have won the FA Cup in 1988. The team that won it simply moved to a new ground & changed their name. They had the same players, were in the same league the next season (AFC Wimbledon have come through the league structure to be in League One now).

I'm not saying that it was right, but that is what happened. In my mind they shouldn't have given the Cup back, but that's more to do with pleasing The League & trying to placate their fans. I really don't care about either team but you can't simply change history because it doesn't fit in with what you think should be.
    Short short memories. What happened to Wimbledon could easily have happened to us. Would we still think that “moved” club was charlton?

What the hell have all the recent protests been about? That the club is the fan’s, not the owners. Wimbledon fans formed AFC as a Phoenix club, in my opinion it’s the same club, it has the same fans and the same colours etc.

If we had completely lost both charlton to palace swallowing up the club (as noades dreamed) and losing the valley, would you reject a Phoenix club formed in or close to se7 by CAFC supporters? Would you fuck, you’d be with the “new” club with the other cafc supporters and call that the same as CAFC

Yes, I would have probably supported a new club, but that's not the point. MK Dons didn't get swallowed up by another club, they simply moved to a new ground & changed part of their name (they kept the ...........don bit to show who they are). Just like Arsenal - they dropped the "Woolwich" as they were no longer in that area, but are they a different club to Woolwich Arsenal - I think not.

As I said, I had enough of this. You'll not get me to change the way I think & I believe history is on my side.
  • Options
    My last word on this.

MK Dons may have a website claiming that they were formed in 2004, but before then they were known as Wimbledon FC & only changed a year after moving to MK. The main reason for "everyone" wanting them to be recognised as such was to keep the peace, especially their fans. The Football Supporters Federation wouldn't recognise their fans as members unless they stopped being a post Wimbledon club & were a "new" club. So eventually their fans relented & made their chairman give back the FA Cup to the council & renounce their history.

So, please tell me between 2003 & 2004 who were they ??? Wimbledon played at Selhurst Park up until September 2003 and then moved to Milton Keynes - they weren't MK Dons until a year later. Therefore according to all of you there are FOUR teams. Wimbledon, something else, MK Dons & AFC Wimbledon.

work that one out.
  • Options
    RanTooFar said:

Dazzler21 said:

Best episode of a great TV series.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Club changed name and moved 60 miles away.

Immediately that killed Wimbledon.

If the same happened to us and we became Charlton Rovers then I think you might have a different view.