Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carson aiming to keep Charlton up

from the Sun (we luuuve it)

SCOTT CARSON plans to give Charlton the perfect leaving present — by keeping them in the Premiership.

The on-loan No 1 plays his last game for the Addicks on Monday before being recalled by Liverpool to battle Pepe Reina for the keeper’s jersey.

But the England Under-21 star wants to go out on a high by helping his side win three crucial survival points over Tottenham.

Carson, 21, said: “I’ve had a great time here and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

“I won’t say it’s going to be my last game but it is my last game this season and hopefully I can go out with a bang.

“It is a must-win game. Anything less puts us in real trouble because it means going to Anfield looking for three points.

“Obviously it’s going to be difficult but until we are actually relegated there’s still a chance.”

Without Carson’s heroics, Charlton would have been down weeks ago and his displays have alerted the likes of Arsenal over a potential summer swoop.

But Jerzy Dudek’s exit from Anfield could give Carson a chance to compete for a starting place with Champions League ace Reina.

He added: “Obviously my time would have been better had we been 10th in the league and closer to the European places.

“But the main thing was to get regular football. Before I came here I had less than 20 first-team games under my belt.

“I haven’t spoken to Alan Pardew or Rafa Benitez about the future. We’re just trying to get this season finished and then we’ll see what happens. But I definitely want to be a No 1.”

Carson says penalty expert Reina can help get the best out of him next season.

He said: “Fair play to Pepe, he had a lot of stick at the beginning of the season but he’s bounced back and is the hero now.

“He’s played in big games in Europe and is a top keeper. I’ve tried to pick things up from him and hopefully he’ll help me become a better keeper.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007200743,00.html

Comments

• Should we beat spurs, perhaps he could play in goal for liverpool on sunday and let a few in!!