Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pavel Srnicek in coma

Former Newcastle goalkeeper Pavel Srnicek is in a critical condition in hospital after suffering cardiac arrest in the Czech Republic.
According to information received by his agent Steve Wraith, the 47-year-old collapsed while out jogging in Ostrava on Sunday.

Comments

• Options
    read this on the BBC .. he was out running .. it shows that even very fit and athletic people can have health problems .. or even that over exertion in an effort to 'get or keep fit' can be dangerous at any age
  • Options
    Very sad... Always used to get the Match magazine as a kid, remember a group of Footballers saying what Christmas meant to them.

Everyone said that playing Football was one of the best things but Pavel turned round and said that seeing and spending time with the family he didnt get to see was the best bit.

Thought it was a really good quote and have always kept track of him since.
  • Options
    Funny story about him I heard the other day - before the Liverpool vs Newcastle game when Newcastle were odds-on to win the title - Keegan proceeded to pull Srnicek to one side just as the players were heading to the Tunnel and said "schmeichel for Man Utd wins them points. Why can't you be more like Schmeichel for me"

This is from Srnicek's autobiography.

Get well soon Pev - part of my upbringing was watching his era of players.
  • Options
    Hope he pulls through. Terrible time of year for it to happen too - not that there is ever a good time.
  • Options
    Shocking and scary. After the death of Fulop last month, it's not been a good few weeks for goalkeepers
  • Options
    Very shocked. Hope he pulls through.