Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Were the previous owners bad?

Do you think, on reflection that slater and Jiminez ran the club badly? Or is that a stupid question but also one people probably don't know much about. They ran the club less badly from a fans perspective, I'd say, is the short answer.

In hindsight...seeing what has happened to us now, would they still have sold the club to RD? Sounds like I'm being too kind and the answer is of course they would have, they don't care and are businessman with no evident emotional connection to charlton they needed the money and to get out.
Still, perhaps, maybe not though. Depends what they were told. Or large part of this is there fault!

Katrien talking in terms of "Revenue"' The 1/3 of ticket sales that's not very important or needed according to her.

We must have generated more revenue under previous owners, surely? A mixed bag no doubt, but overall?...

Comments

• Options
    With funding they got us out of League One. Without it we were in real danger of Administration. They didn't do communication either, other than an annual begging letter from the lawyer pleading with us to renew our season tickets.
  • Options

Yes behind the scenes it was bad as I am sure Airman & others former staff members could explain

Would be interesting to know if that was the case from day one or just when the money ran out.

Remember standing there at the Hartlepool game in a packed stadium with the league trophy presentation thinking that the club was on the up again and in its best position for years. Went on holiday that summer and logged on here the day I came back to see it in meltdown with all the insinuations that the plug had been pulled and we were skint and my hope of a progressive few seasons faded quicker than my tan.

F***ing Charlton ha ha.
    They left Varney and Kavanagh to run the club until the summer of 2012 when it became impossible for them to carry on as directors.
  • Options
    Cheers. Depressing.
  • Options
    well, at the end, or near it, they were not paying their bills to local businesses and I know of at least one that nearly went out of business because of money owned by Charlton. If they had of gone out of business six people would have lost their jobs, two of them Charlton fans so in my opinion, in that respect, they were worse than RD and Co.
  • Options
    They didn't sack Powell or employ Katrien, and probably were sort of aiming for us to be successful on the pitch, but that's about all the praise I can muster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    they did great to get us out of div 1 but what a mess after that,then in come the Belgiums and we all thought here comes the prem league,what a shock but at least we are still able to carry on as a club because nobody else wanted us
  • Options
    Games called off after a bottle of lucozade spilt onto it, pink seats in the stands, training ground in a state of disrepear, no investment into anything on or off the pitch, people behind the scenes culled without any explanatio, I'd say they were just as bad if not worse
  • Options
    I think doing nothing because you haven't got the money is preferable to doing nothing when you can clearly afford to. Jiminez and Slater just about escaped with their business reputations intact. Duchatelet and Meire aren't looking like doing the same. Shrinking the club will be a disaster and it will be on their watch.
  • Options
    I don't know what went on behind the scenes but what I do know is that them owning us was one of the best periods I have had supporting us.
  • Options
    At least they let us sign decent players i.e. Morrison, Stephens, Wiggins, Kermogant, Hamer and others.
    They could not possibly be as bad as this mob.
    Have no ideal why Kevin Cash cut the money off. Can anybody tell me why?
  • Options
    Yes.
    Next question ?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I don't know what went on behind the scenes but what I do know is that them owning us was one of the best periods I have had supporting us.

It is hard to separate rightly or wrongly them from Powell and his team in our minds, as I am certainly guilty of overlooking their many flaws simply because I have never had a more enjoyable time in my 20 years of support as those first two full seasons under CP, even more then the premier league years if I am honest.
  • Options
    Not THIS bad, no.
  • Options
    Which is worse - A) an ownership group that doesn't spend any money on new players (almost all of our League one signings were funded by the sale of one player and virtually no money was spent once we were promoted). The same group treated our employees poorly, was delinquent to pay vendors, who had zero communication to the fans and generally were very shady in running the business or B) an owner who spent money on transfers fees and upgrading the Valley but has no football sense whatsoever resulting in poor player recruitment/selection and a revolving door at manager.

It is a tough to pick the lesser of two evils. I guess I would rather have RD as least he has seems partially willing to spend some money and would pray that he would come to his senses and find the correct person to come in and run the football operations.
  • Options
    My view to my own question is that Slater and Jiminez were financial ticking time bombs and sooner they went the better.

Their relationship with the manager was a lot more simple and football minded in general. What most clubs expect.

Same with the fans. Communication is not always necessary when no extremely weird stupid decisions have been made.

The pitch was an absolute joke in the end they couldn't afford to sort that out...but then again they didn't bother with gimmick bulshit, as even as most likely poor businessmen that left the club in a vulnerable state, they were relatively normal compared to this lot.

RDs human centipede like experiment where eventually these academy players won't even have names. They will be cloned and sold off in shop windows

The current regime is losing fans by the week. The previous regime was perhaps very very slowly eroding people away...but we had a manager that cared and done the best with what he had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

They were a joke and took the club to within 24 hours of going out of business , took money out the club for personal reasons , agreed to sell the Valley in return for a loan from the council and refused to give Stephens, Yann new deals and told them they could both leave in Jan .....

So just help me to be clear here. They sold Yann? Right?
  • Options
    Have said before, TJ with RD's money behind him would have been good. We went from one set up good at football and rubbish at everything else to another lot who have more money but no sense of football whatsoever.

I would also go further to say that if RD is loading the club with debt then this is potentially as damaging as anything TJ and MS did in the long term.
  • Options
    I actually kind of hate Slater and Jiminez now for selling to these c*nts.

Desperate is desperate but they were desperate for a reason, THEY screwed up.

Although perhaps fed bullshit and they are not even charlton fans etc and murrary was involved, they didn't asses it properly and put themselves in a situation where they had to sell to any old f*cking c*nt.

Thanks chaps.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I actually kind of hate Slater and Jiminez now for selling to these c*nts.

Desperate is desperate but they were desperate for a reason, THEY screwed up.

Although perhaps fed bullshit and they are not even charlton fans etc and murrary was involved, they didn't asses it properly and put themselves in a situation where they had to sell to any old f*cking c*nt.

Thanks chaps.

I'm pretty sure that although they are businessmen at the end of the day, they would have had other offers on the table and they would have tried to sell the club to the 'best' person on paper, let's face it, we were all full of hope when RD came in