Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What happened to the Charlton "funeral" idea?

A couple of months ago, someone came up with the brilliant idea to host a mock funeral at a home game. Idea was to hire a hearse and drive it as close to the ground as possible (probably junction of Church Road/Floyd Road) and then get a few Charlton fans dressed up in undertakers outfits to carry a coffin drapped in Charlton emblems down to the ground. Fans would stand either side of the street and applaud as it went by. Also suggested wreaths/flowers should be sent to the Charlton office expressing regret at the death of our once great club.

Just as the idea was gaining traction, the mods (AFKA, I think) took the discussion off line as he "wanted the idea to be worked up and the club not to be alerted to it".

Haven't heard any more about this since. But I still think it is a great idea that could get us huge publicity from the TV, press, radio if handled correctly.

Anyone else agree this idea needs to be resurrected and put into practice asap?

Comments

• Options
    Wait till we play Fulham again. First club to do it.
  • Options

Wait till we play Fulham again. First club to do it.

Yep remember them bringing in a coffin to the corner at Selhurst as we were heading for promotion and them relegation
  • Options
    Thought it was a brilliant idea. Standing and shouting can only do so much but imaginative stuff like this is what gets the attention of the media and neutral fans - most of which seem completely oblivious to what is going on at Charlton.
  • Options
    Could it be that a lot of people have recently lost loved ones and have had real funerals, we've even lost some of our own, so a mock funeral could be rather difficult for some, in perspective of the whole grand scheme of things to some it would feel OTT.
  • Options
    I agree think it would be a brilliant idea and certainly get a lot of attention.
  • Options
    Great idea
  • Options
    Good idea
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Perhaps it can be part of a march, altho overall I think Id rather be celebrating our history rather than the end of it
  • Options
    Like it.

Not appropriate on the 2nd with the memorial day for CAFC fans.

Something to look at for another game - maybe Blackburn.

I will see what I can do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Could it be that a lot of people have recently lost loved ones and have had real funerals, we've even lost some of our own, so a mock funeral could be rather difficult for some, in perspective of the whole grand scheme of things to some it would feel OTT.

Agree with this