Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proposed Charlton Fans Protest Fund - Your views please

Comments

• Options

Who are The Upbeats?

I can only think that is a joke?
    Or if you don't know speak to one of your brothers. I don't believe golf has ever contributed to the shirt sponsorship. But sure N has. But still really surprised you don't know who the Upbeats are
  • Options
    love it. A couple of flags would be brilliant.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Who are The Upbeats?

I can only think that is a joke?
    Or if you don't know speak to one of your brothers. I don't believe golf has ever contributed to the shirt sponsorship. But sure N has. But still really surprised you don't know who the Upbeats are
    Don't Bite @Curb_It. Don't Give him the pleasure
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Please count me in. Is there any chance it could be a just giving type page where we can use a credit card rather than just pay pal? Would help me a lot as can't use my pay pal account and don't have internet banking.

Thanks @HantsAddick The problem with Just Giving is that they take 5% of all donations as a fee. That put us off, to be honest.
    They only take 5% of the gift aid amount which they claim on the charities behalf so you actually get more than the original donation but assume this would not be funds raised under a charity umbrella
  • Options
    In principle, I'm in too.

I have a couple of questions -

How to verify the people using the money for protests are legit?
    That whatever is being funded is lawful?
    That whatever users spend, it is proven and matches their original ask?

Will the Fund and Accounts be audited?

Is it sensible to give funding only to those protestors who "register" on the CAST website?

Why should unused funds go only to the Upbeats, I imagine CACT do other great work that wants funding?

I've tried to be constructive here and am not wishing to stir any pots with you, CAST, CACT or anyone else. It's just that in thinking about your proposal these things have popped into my head.

Good for you both for offering to do this, it seems like a great idea to me. It may also turn out to be a lot of time and effort for you both? Over the years I've been constantly amazed at the passion and energy of Charlton fans, you're yet another example. Thank you, the bad guys don't stand a chance.........I hope :smile:
  • Options
    I'm definitely interested
  • Options
    I'm in .
    Tell us how to do it - btw i dont do Paypal.
  • Options
    I'm up for this but would want to feel comfortable about the fund governance/control
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Something aroundValley Gold could be a good idea, we could convert our membership of VG into a protest scheme and then return it to Valley Gold after we get rid of this lot. If I understand correctly, isn't VG run by Charlton club independantly of the club itself. Could we get all members to lobby the organisers of Charlton Club to ask members where they now want the money to go whilst RD owns the club?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we get Valley Gold involved it could take ages, surely we need a fund as soon as possible if we want action now? It is something to consider for the future if nothing happens.
  • Options
    I was happy to receive black and white scarves for free last game

Would contribute to a pot for such things to continue
  • Options
    You raise good points CW re verifying where it goes. We would have to come up with a scheme. I think Davo will have to answer those but he's not available today.

It's probably going to need a bit more thought. I only really offered to hold the funds but wouldn't be interested in auditing etc, I wouldn't want the hassle or worry. I'm assuming people think there are going to be large sums involved.

Maybe any accountants on here can suggest something.
  • Options
    Simply holding buckets and asking for any donations would surely work very well. It's safe to say that the MASSIVE majority of charlton fans are on board with these protests now and I like to think that most would be willing to give whatever change they have in their pockets.
  • Options

Who are The Upbeats?

bro, you do disappoint me sometimes. The Upbeats have been supported by Charlton Life for a number of years so I'm surprised you are not aware but they are the Charlton Downs Syndrome team.
  • Options
    total boycott of one game, tv will have this protest no problem
  • Options
    I'm in
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

You raise good points CW re verifying where it goes. We would have to come up with a scheme. I think Davo will have to answer those but he's not available today.

It's probably going to need a bit more thought. I only really offered to hold the funds but wouldn't be interested in auditing etc, I wouldn't want the hassle or worry. I'm assuming people think there are going to be large sums involved.

Maybe any accountants on here can suggest something.

I would have thought the Trust could be a logical vehicle for a fans led initiative such as this and simultaneously cover any auditing / independent examination requirements.

Supporter politics might make that idea a non starter in reality of course.
  • Options
    razil said:

Maybe the time is right to form a completely fan led democratic alternative to Valley Gold, discuss.

I'm thinking of stopping my membership I have to admit, particularly after we were told the club didnt need the VIP money, and with all these undisclosed fees

I've been thinking the same thing -- especially as it now seems the best youth products will hardly touch the sides before they're sold on to fund RD's narcissistic scheme.

On the matter of the fighting fund, I'm in for £50. Will you, @Curb_It , let us know when you're ready to receive donations?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for all the comments so far folks. I've had to work today and just home. Welcoming guests and prepping for a big dinner party this evening so I will aim to discuss questions with @Curb_It and respond to these tomorrow if possible.

All I will say for now is that we don't want this idea to become too bogged down with verification and audit trails - it's meant to be a fairly simple way, based largely on trust, to get money quickly to fellow lifers involved in protest activity.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Davo55 said:

Thanks for all the comments so far folks. I've had to work today and just home. Welcoming guests and prepping for a big dinner party this evening so I will aim to discuss questions with @Curb_It and respond to these tomorrow if possible.

All I will say for now is that we don't want this idea to become too bogged down with verification and audit trails - it's meant to be a fairly simple way, based largely on trust, to get money quickly to fellow lifers involved in protest activity.

Absolutely.

My "Baldrick like cunning plan" was, if one or both of you were Trust members, for it to be held under the auspices of the Trust with both of you as authorised signatories so to speak which would have the dual effect of leaving you and Curb_it with the control and instant acccess you want and need but also hopefully help to alleviate any accountability issues, anticipated or unanticipated, that might arise alluded to in passing by Curb_it.

The rationale being that this is a fans led initiative and the Trust represents the fans.

I do accept that politically it is probably not a goer but suggestions were requested so I tried to help.
  • Options
    Brenda, Alan if you get this off the ground I will contribute, inbox me with details please, Tel
  • Options
    Do the trust want to get involved now then? That would be some uturn.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I would happily divert my VG money into an alternative that can go back to the development of young players when the current mob leaves. Maybe somebody could construct a letter template that fans could e-mail to their banks that transfers the Valley Gold direct debit into another. It would be good for the trust to organise this IMO.
  • Options
    All sounds good to me. I'm still in. Thanks to you both for doing this.
  • Options
    Excellent idea - I'm in.
  • Options
    Unless you can get the media supporting you, protests are a waste of time and will easily be ignored by RD. KM is just obeying his every instruction, a total nobody who is an insult to the title CEO.
    Sadly I believe that empty seats and low attendances might eventually force some attention, but expecting them to appoint a strong manager is akin to expecting to win the lottery every time, no bloody chance.
    We need to make the peculiar owner we are lumbered with uncomfortable. No-one of any quality will want to work with theses two nitwits.
  • Options
    We are launching the protest fund tomorrow (Sunday) morning. Watch out for the launch announcement and details of how to contribute.

Now, let's go and stuff Forest and then the Board.

COYRs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!