Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Played for the colts (an over 60 uses sixties terms -winds up Katrien don't you know) and perhaps even the reserves back in the Prem days when Sir Alan ran the Club.
  • Options
    Didn't he play with Hales junior for a while?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Could well have done. Charlie MacDonald was around I think
  • Options
    Don't think he's that old.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Varney

MacDonald was around but older. Hales Jnr is Charlie's vintage I think.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Played for the colts (an over 60 uses sixties terms -winds up Katrien don't you know) and perhaps even the reserves back in the Prem days when Sir Alan ran the Club.

Do you mean the South East Counties League there, Len?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Do you mean the South East Counties League there, Len?
    That's the one!
  • Options
    Leigh Hales left in Jan 01 and went to Dover Ath, Alex Varney was with us 03 - 06
  • Options
    Leigh Hales wasted talent I see him around my way all the time I was training with Sittingbourne while he was there you could see he had it just didn't want to prove it
  • Options
    Alex came through the youth set up with his mate, Stacey Long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He actually made a league appearance for Barnet as a substitute.
  • Options
    Went over to Inter Milan i think with one other colt player.
  • Options
    Born in Lewisham, London, Micheal Turner started his career at Charlton Athletic.
    [1] As part of a link-up Charlton had with Internazionale, he spent several months of his apprenticeship with the Italian club's under-19 team
    [3] After signing professional terms with Charlton, he went out on loan to Leyton Orient in March 2003 until the end of the 2002–03 season. The following season, he was captain of Charlton's reserve team, and was named Charlton's Young Player of the Year 2003–04.
  • Options
    Alex; know your dad and I have NO DOUBT whatsoever of his intentions. He is Charlton through-and-through, something these vile parasites killing his (and our club) will never be.
  • Options

Went over to Inter Milan i think with one other colt player.

Was another Alex (Martin) and Michael Turner.

http://www.espnfc.com/england/news/2000/1207/20001207cafcinteryouth.html
  • Options
    Does Peter Varney still attend matches at the Valley, or is he too busy at Ebbsfleet?
  • Options

Does Peter Varney still attend matches at the Valley, or is he too busy at Ebbsfleet?

Still has a season ticket
  • Options

Yes he does, when he can, if Ebbsfleet games don't clash.
  • Options
    Alex, hearing of your father's involvement in a potential investment was the best news I have heard in a long time. He is CAFC through and through, and it was a bad day when he left us.
  • Options
    Was Leigh Hales actually Hales junior? Didn't think they were related.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was Leigh Hales actually Hales junior? Didn't think they were related.

Yes, a chip off the old block.