Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where do charlton rank amongst other badly run clubs in recent history

edited January 2016 in General Charlton
Portsmouth have got more control now but they suffered a lot over the last 5/6 years.

Blackpool last season were just all the over the place. That was a sad story in itself.

That's off the top of my head there are more and I'd wonder how bad charlton have got it in comparison to others.

Ours is more of a different kind of sh*t I think.

Comments

• Options
    You have to add Leeds both in recent and past years. We are up there in that bunch for sure.
  • Options
    Luton Town, Boston United, Maidstone United and Scarborough all have had plummets in recent years although Luton and Maidstone are coming back.
  • Options
    Most badly run clubs are done through over extending themselves and being unfeasibly ambitious. Blackpool is more about making money and getting at the fans, which is very familiar to our situation.

As ourselves and Blackpool are run to the others strategy and the others are caused by stupidity, it has to be the Seasiders first then us.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Most badly run clubs are done through over extending themselves and being unfeasibly ambitious. Blackpool is more about making money and getting at the fans, which is very familiar to our situation.

As ourselves and Blackpool are run to the others strategy and the others are caused by stupidity, it has to be the Seasiders first then us.

Agree, we are the less obvious version of Blackpool. More of a gradual slow painful death though.

Opposite side of over ambitious.
  • Options

Luton Town, Boston United, Maidstone United and Scarborough all have had plummets in recent years although Luton and Maidstone are coming back.

Maidstone are my local club these days. You'd struggle to find a club that's run better.

• Options
    Burnley always seem like a well run team in recent years who don't overspend but at least have good championship players who with the exception of Austin, Ings and Trippier have stayed to keep continuity.

Badly run clubs ? Could be too many to mention,

But Cellino at Leeds,Tan at Cardiff and Duchatelet seem to be the wackiest.
  • Options

Maidstone are my local club these days. You'd struggle to find a club that's run better.

What are they doing that is working?
  • Options
    Leeds, Bradford, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Blackburn, Darlington, Luton, Warbury Warriors
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Getting gates of 2,000 for Conference South matches suggests things are working well at Maidstone.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Getting gates of 2,000 for Conference South matches suggests things are working well at Maidstone.
    Impressive
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Impressive
    I saw them play at Gosport in September, they must have had about 200 there.
  • Options
    I have a friend who was a part of the takeover at Luton and then was on the board until relatively recently. They suffered badly for many, many years at the hands of terrible ownership. The last three years or so have been far better, but they had to drop out of the football league and hit rock bottom in many other ways for that to happen.

I believe Luton and Portsmouth have had winding up orders against them. That, along with the insanity of ownership at Blackpool and Notts County, and their nadirs are a level we just aren't anywhere close to at the moment. Remember that Notts County had owners who basically had no money and did it all with smoke and mirrors. Porthsmouth had Peter Storey engineer a takeover move for a man who may or may not actually exist. And Blackpool are Blackpool.