Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will the extra money next season actually do smaller clubs a favour?

I am talking in terms of competing on the pitch in the Premiership. I know it will give whoever is in the Premiership a massive advantage over teams that are not, but will it really make Reading compete with Man U?

Is just going to be more money for the same small pool of half decent players?

I guess it gives more muscle to English clubs in getting foreign players in from other leagues, but again you aren't going to get the cream of the crop if you aren't one of the big boys.

It all just seems a little pointless. More money for the same crap!

Comments

• Options
    agreed, this extra £30 mill will all go to the players and agents. The clubs or the fans will be no better off.
  • Options
    Great point Sco, I think that you are right because the extra money just means that the existing pool of players (especially the top four clubs) will get paid a shedload more. Those in the bottom third (which would include us) would still be scrapping for the same players.
  • Options
    No, because the champions league pays so much money to the big 4.
  • Options
    They only think that will help the smaller clubs will be if Platini gets his wish and we only get three clubs going into the Champions League. Suddenly the big four will be fighting for three places and one of them will lose each season.
  • Options
    It's a very good point.

Let's face, now that the stadia have been brought up to scratch what else is there in football to spend the money on except players and their wages? That doesn't mean that you'll get better players of course - far from it , it just means that the same players will command bigger fees and wages.

Of course, they could take the opportunity to lower prices - but let's not be silly about it!