Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'd still walk away....

The protest was fantastic tonight. Kudos to everyone who went and took part, looked like a heck of a lot and very loud whilst managing to remain pointed and hostile but within reason, ditching the sexism and foul-mouthed abuse. I'd love to have made it but couldn't, so a big thank you to all those of you who did.

However, if things don't improve in the way the club is run, I would still consider trying to organize a mass boycott.

Reality is the hardest you can hit an owner is in their pocket. Forget if you've already paid for your ticket or not, that's actually quite a small portion of where the club makes it's money on matchday with programmes, the shop, catering, the two club bars, the vendors, security staff etc. If you make the costs drastically outweigh the income for a few games running, and it would have to be a few, it will have significant impact because it will create concern and it will show a true loss of fans where so many believe this club only cares now - the pocket.

I know the argument, the same old one about not turning your back on the team and supporting them no matter what, but I really don't understand this when you all seem to have serious, genuine concerns at how the club's decisions will mostly impact the team. Your support alone, as good as it might be, won't keep us and won't change the foundations of the way the club is being run. This British partisanship of supporting our team until the dying end is frankly, on occasion, as daft as it is unfounded. You've proved your true supporters already, you don't need to keep proving it. Your making a point with the ownership, not the team, and the distinctions are not always as black and white as everyone thinks.

The manager doesn't deserve your support either, his post-match interview, which is available through the News Shopper at least currently, shows the contempt he has for you. The scoffing of which he subtly accuses fans of selfishness and mildly mocks a 60-point season of which the efforts of Chris Powell and company have been unwound and kicked to the floor by an owner he is in bed with and has been for quite some time, he was re-recruited in a grand old set-up that Chicago Addick absolutely nailed to the f___ing wall on his excellent blog and that many esteemed football writers, like Martin Samuel, predicted almost two years ago - see his Daily Mail piece.

Will staying away hurt the team's chances of staying up? No more so. More effort today but we've had the odd game here and there since September, form and reliability in experience says that you can sing your heart out and bounce around until you are in cardiac arrest but it probably won't make too much difference because the coaching, the management, the transfer mandate, the depth, the organization, the discipline and the mentality have been MIA for quite some time, certainly since Chrissy's penultimate season and brief spells under Jose Riga.

There is no unwritten rule that in these circumstances with us so desperate for change that any and all outside the club can see is so required that if you chose to boycott you suddenly aren't a passionate or undeserving fan.

Don't buy into the rubbish the players spout through the OS either. Of course Stephen Henderson doesn't want to lose, what player does? The 'sticking together
' part is club doctrine for you must not only support the team, but don't dare to oppose or criticise the club as that is the polar opposite. Fraeye proved it tonight with his interview, he says it only hurts the team after sounding like he was beckoning to fans frustrations only a few short weeks ago. If he is telling the truth, if you really want change, you have no other choice but to boycott because as Nick Powell said in the Guardian this morning, the protests might look grand sound loud, but chances then the owner will just ignore them.

Face it, if things don't change, we're running out of choices and the worse scenario here is that this just subsides and we eventually roll with it.

Comments

• Options
    The 60 point season was under Peeters and Luzon - admittedly Powell got more than that two seasons earlier but just pointing it out.
  • Options

A protest that doesn't have sexism and foul mouthed abuse isn't a protest in our book.
    How many cars did you smash up? You can always judge how good a protest was on how many cars were totalled.

I don't think Miere drives!
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

A protest that doesn't have sexism and foul mouthed abuse isn't a protest in our book.
    How many cars did you smash up? You can always judge how good a protest was on how many cars were totalled.

Not a problem, I'll drop her somewhere.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

She drives me loopy
  • Options
    Loco said:

kentred2 said:

She drives me loopy
    'Loco Loopy', that's got quite a good ring to it :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unsubscribe from everything charlton! Don't give them a penny.

Throw the season ticket outside the front door protest?
  • Options

Just like football violence in general. If there is no enemie to attack just attack each other. Like us at Wembley. We went on national tv to show you how it was done but you're still not catching on.

Don't do ironic MF...it doesn't work with Millwall
  • Options
    kafka said:

Just like football violence in general. If there is no enemie to attack just attack each other. Like us at Wembley. We went on national tv to show you how it was done but you're still not catching on.

Don't do ironic MF...it doesn't work with Millwall
    Misuse of the term ironic there. Don't worry though, most do it. Alanis Morisette dedicated a whole song to it.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

The more protests we do, the more money it will cost the owner. More security required. Higher police costs.

Boycott the food drink, Club Shop, Jackpot tickets etc until they have gone.

Hit him hard in his pocket.

Unfortunately too many fucking wankers will "stand up if you want them out" & talk about how they're killing OUR club but will be in Crossbars before & after the game & pop down for a quick beer at halftime in the Covered End while claiming he's so rich it won't make any difference. Fucking pathetic !
  • Options

shirty5 said:

The more protests we do, the more money it will cost the owner. More security required. Higher police costs.

Unfortunately too many fucking wankers will "stand up if you want them out" & talk about how they're killing OUR club but will be in Crossbars before & after the game & pop down for a quick beer at halftime in the Covered End while claiming he's so rich it won't make any difference. Fucking pathetic !
    As soon as someone mentioned a commercial boycott a few weeks ago I started. Nothing bought from the shop, no food, no drinks (even beer), no jackpot tickets, no match day programme, and even cancelled my cafc player subscription.

Only my ST and VG membership left, and they're both in the balance at the moment.
  • Options
    need to flyer people for the 'hunger and thirst strike' to make it effective
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Apologies had to buy a burger from the ground yesterday as went to get a sandwich from Sainsburys and the Co-op but neither had any!!
  • Options

shirty5 said:

Apologies had to buy a burger from the ground yesterday as went to get a sandwich from Sainsburys and the Co-op but neither had any!!
    Maybe it was just my wishful thinking, but the bars and food outlets in the North Stand Lower looked very quiet yesterday, even allowing for the numbers present
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shirty5 said:

use the burger stalls outside next time!
  • Options
    The financial implications of a boycott will only be apparent in L1, where Roland would get a third of the price for Lookman as he would in this division. Doubt anyone has pointed that out to him.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

shirty5 said:

Or the Valley Cafe
  • Options

The protest was fantastic tonight. Kudos to everyone who went and took part, looked like a heck of a lot and very loud whilst managing to remain pointed and hostile but within reason, ditching the sexism and foul-mouthed abuse. I'd love to have made it but couldn't, so a big thank you to all those of you who did.

However, if things don't improve in the way the club is run, I would still consider trying to organize a mass boycott.

Reality is the hardest you can hit an owner is in their pocket. Forget if you've already paid for your ticket or not, that's actually quite a small portion of where the club makes it's money on matchday with programmes, the shop, catering, the two club bars, the vendors, security staff etc. If you make the costs drastically outweigh the income for a few games running, and it would have to be a few, it will have significant impact because it will create concern and it will show a true loss of fans where so many believe this club only cares now - the pocket.

I know the argument, the same old one about not turning your back on the team and supporting them no matter what, but I really don't understand this when you all seem to have serious, genuine concerns at how the club's decisions will mostly impact the team. Your support alone, as good as it might be, won't keep us and won't change the foundations of the way the club is being run. This British partisanship of supporting our team until the dying end is frankly, on occasion, as daft as it is unfounded. You've proved your true supporters already, you don't need to keep proving it. Your making a point with the ownership, not the team, and the distinctions are not always as black and white as everyone thinks.

The manager doesn't deserve your support either, his post-match interview, which is available through the News Shopper at least currently, shows the contempt he has for you. The scoffing of which he subtly accuses fans of selfishness and mildly mocks a 60-point season of which the efforts of Chris Powell and company have been unwound and kicked to the floor by an owner he is in bed with and has been for quite some time, he was re-recruited in a grand old set-up that Chicago Addick absolutely nailed to the f___ing wall on his excellent blog and that many esteemed football writers, like Martin Samuel, predicted almost two years ago - see his Daily Mail piece.

Will staying away hurt the team's chances of staying up? No more so. More effort today but we've had the odd game here and there since September, form and reliability in experience says that you can sing your heart out and bounce around until you are in cardiac arrest but it probably won't make too much difference because the coaching, the management, the transfer mandate, the depth, the organization, the discipline and the mentality have been MIA for quite some time, certainly since Chrissy's penultimate season and brief spells under Jose Riga.

There is no unwritten rule that in these circumstances with us so desperate for change that any and all outside the club can see is so required that if you chose to boycott you suddenly aren't a passionate or undeserving fan.

Don't buy into the rubbish the players spout through the OS either. Of course Stephen Henderson doesn't want to lose, what player does? The 'sticking together
    ' part is club doctrine for you must not only support the team, but don't dare to oppose or criticise the club as that is the polar opposite. Fraeye proved it tonight with his interview, he says it only hurts the team after sounding like he was beckoning to fans frustrations only a few short weeks ago. If he is telling the truth, if you really want change, you have no other choice but to boycott because as Nick Powell said in the Guardian this morning, the protests might look grand sound loud, but chances then the owner will just ignore them.

Face it, if things don't change, we're running out of choices and the worse scenario here is that this just subsides and we eventually roll with it.

It wasn't in The Guardian. It was on The Guardian website.

• Options
    waldo said:

JohnnyH2 said:

shirty5 said:

Or the Valley Cafe
    The chip shop in Charlton Village is very nice.
  • Options

There's irony for you, a Millwall fan picking a Charlton fan up on his poor diction. ;-)

Incredible as well as ironic. Big_Bad_World will be pleased to know he's not alone.