Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fans Protest - Fan Interviews.

I wanted to find out why fans were protesting yesterday, so I asked them.

This is an impartial piece of journalism and I could only report what I was given.

I advertised on Twitter that I was outside the club shop for an hour and if anyone wanted to give the other side of the story, a non-protesting one, they could come and find me. Nobody came between 1pm-2pm so this is all I have to report.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4015492-charlton-fans-comments-compilation-fans-protest

Comments

• Options
    I've never liked the Manic Street Preachers
  • Options
    Want to bump this because i think it's important the views of these fans are heard. I spoke to about 10-15 people and all their comments during the protest are above.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    LouisMend said:

Want to bump this because i think it's important the views of these fans are heard. I spoke to about 10-15 people and all their comments during the protest are above.

Louis, good show and good work last night, cheers. I wasn't sure from your comment that you 'let' Terry do the Fraye interview or whether it was decided and by whom, that you would keep a lower profile for a bit? Perhaps I am reading too much into that? Give me a 'No comment' if you prefer I won't be offended :wink:
  • Options
    Terry always does the Charlton live interviews with Karel, I only interview him myself on the days when I'm covering the game for the BBC.

I made myself scarce to cover the protests anyway and so KF would feel more relaxed speaking to Terry in a quieter studio.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    LouisMend said:

Terry always does the Charlton live interviews with Karel, I only interview him myself on the days when I'm covering the game for the BBC.

I made myself scarce to cover the protests anyway and so KF would feel more relaxed speaking to Terry in a quieter studio.

Ok mate thanks for clarifying that. Any chance of Terry getting stuck Into him a bit more, he got an easy ride IMO...................then again I suppose he might not want to give further interviews, so scrap that :wink:
  • Options
    Please can Terry ask him, if he feels a fraud, doing the coaching job at Charlton, when he's barely qualified to coach Welling ?
  • Options
    Loved the audio (really welling up here). I can see the starting point for a Reclaim the Valley DVD/online video (it'd have to be better than the current season's offering is likely to be).

Would there be any chance of getting Talksport or 5 Live to play it as part of a phone in show?

Fabulous protest by fabulous fans.
  • Options
    According to Louis I'm just more polite than he is! :-)

In reality and to clarify if I may, there are times when I'd be very happy to get 'stuck in' to any of our managers, but there are a number of issues with that. We were initially given the opportunity to interview the manager after home games separately from the normal press conference as an addition to the match commentaries on the CAFCPlayer subscription service. Therefore we were obliged to keep things a little safe, compared to the normal media questions, which were also aired.

The current interviews after home games are not part of the CAFCPlayer service any longer but we have been allowed to continue them to broadcast on Charlton Live and with respect, if I attempted to get 'stuck in', almost certainly this would be stopped, especially at the moment. So I have to make a decision whether to risk losing any form of contact with management and players, or to try to continue to bring at least some post match comments.

I like to think that I am now professional enough to be in a position to separate what I want to say against what I feel I can get away with, (which probably wouldn't include asking Karel Fraeye if he is a fraud). Plus of course I'm no Jeremy Paxman!!!

Louis in fairness also covers games for the BBC and local press and therefore has a different remit to me when he has those media hats on and of course he's just plain rude!!! :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I know Terry, I was just being a bit cheeky.

I'll continue :smile:

Why not requote him re -

1 You said after Burnley we were losing because we had been playing the top clubs under him. Since then we've played all lower clubs and couldn't beat them either.

2 Not along ago he said the squad was strong enough. We didn't need strengthening and there was no point because we can only play 11. Can he explain this please ? Is he saying any 11 bodies will do and if so why aren't we top ? Also, why is he now contradicting himself ?

Near the knuckle but fair enough questions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I know Terry, I was just being a bit cheeky.

I'll continue :smile:

Why not requote him re -

1 You said after Burnley we were losing because we had been playing the top clubs under him. Since then we've played all lower clubs and couldn't beat them either.

2 Not along ago he said the squad was strong enough. We didn't need strengthening and there was no point because we can only play 11. Can he explain this please ? Is he saying any 11 bodies will do and if so why aren't we top ? Also, why is he now contradicting himself ?

Near the knuckle but fair enough questions.

Under my role for BBC I pretty much asked the first question after Bristol City (something about we played a rival today and still didn't play well) (https://audioboom.com/boos/3995789-post-match-cafcofficial-karel-fraeye-says-his-side-rescued-a-point-after-late-goal-to-draw-with-bristol-rovers-cafc)

I asked about signings after the 4-0 drubbing at Burnley in this infamous interview where he wouldn't say about any signings. (https://audioboom.com/boos/3977238-reaction-cafcofficial-speaks-after-a-heavy-4-0-defeat-by-burnley-cafc) IMO he was protecting the players we had at the time saying they will have to prove themselves before the Jan window. Not sure I would have gone for that tactic having just lost 4-0 with the fans already on my back and wrote as much in the SLP that week after.

I asked him again after the Wolves game in the press conference and suffice to say he had changed/updated his answer. (http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=115238&headline=Karel Fraeye admits that Charlton Athletic ready to do business next month&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015)

As Tel says above, depending on what circumstances you're asking questions under you do have to be wise as to what the repercussions could be. Tel IMO pitches the Charlton Live interviews where they have to be remembering that we are given those interviews as a goodwill gesture.

When I'm BBCing or SLPing the gloves are a bit more off because both those companies pay me to get the story and if the narrative isn't easy then the questions won't be either.

I know you're being a bit cheeky @Covered End but I'm glad to see these questions asked really because I hope it helps people understand what the deal is.
  • Options
    Thanks Louis. I'm greatly impressed by your work. Outstanding quality.