Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"The protest doesn't affect me and I don't think it affects the other players"

Simon Makienok's post-match comments (mainly about the impact of being jeered) seem a complete contradiction of the claims Fraeye and the regime are trying to make, namely our opposition to the owners is impacting on the side.

"The protest doesn't affect me and I don't think it affects the other players but, of course, the situation we’re in affects us. We know we don't have the highest confidence and that we don't play the best football we've played."

This comment - “We have tried a lot of different things, systems, some have worked, some haven’t" - also hints that Fraeye doesn't have much of a clue either.

http://goo.gl/LZywYY

Comments

• Options
    Simon can be handy defending corners and he can do a decent chest pass. I think Simons biggest challenge is mobility. He often makes his moves from a standing start when if he were more active, on the balls of his feet if you like, he would get into the swing of a run or a jump more easily, and more quickly.
  • Options
    Wish Mak would use his size to bully the opposition. He just isn't the nusance or target that he should be.
  • Options

People complain when Makienok doesnt jump high enough to head the ball (or if none of his headers go on target or to his team-mates) but you've also got to look at how the ball is delivered to him...

(1) Makienok is a tall bloke (only a bit taller than myself) and I can vouch that tall people cannot jump very far off the ground, just look at Peter Crouch who barely gets off the ground himself...

(2) So that means if the ball is hit too high, he'll be stretching to receive the ball, it means that the ball wont hit the sweet spot on his head which naturally means that if Simon makes contact, its going to be a lottery where the ball ends up.

(3) Yes Simon doesnt bother to jump sometimes yet thats usually because you can easily see he don't stand a chance of getting the ball because its far too high, but at the same time why should he, if he goes for every lost cause its telling his team mate they can just hit and hope and that Simon will go chasing for any pathetic pass... By ignoring some hoofs he's sending a message that if they want the pressure eased off them, they have to pass better

(4) We saw against Ipswich the above is the case... We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs), he can then control the ball and bring other players into play rather than a pointless hopeful flick on, on Saturday every time that happened we started a dangerous attack.

(5) At the same time you dont want to see the ball given to Makienok's feet (Using myself as an example), its a long way down from your eyes to your feet so his ball control on the floor is pretty shocking

Tbh mate all the above sounds like a Sunday league footballers excuse for having a shit game.
    Or a fan who just doesnt like a player and refuses to accept when he has a good game!!
  • Options
    To add, crouch was tall and didn't jump well yes but was also the prems all time goal scorer with his head.
    He aided this with his movement, strength to hold off defenders, and his timing/ running into the cross
  • Options
    Think he's a poor player that can sometimes show us glimpses of quality, but no more than what a standard 6ft striker offers.

Watching him Saturday he's far too concerned about what his marker is doing. It's like he knows he's in a more physical league so that's all he's worried about. Then when his body shape is all wrong and he fucks up, he moans to the ref.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Tbh mate all the above sounds like a Sunday league footballers excuse for having a shit game.

Or a fan who just doesnt like a player and refuses to accept when he has a good game!!

Not me mate, I don't dislike him, but from the little I've seen of him I simply don't think he's good enough, nothing personal to him.

Good players make something out off bad crosses and passes.

He's all we got at mo so will always support him, just don't think even putting him a side with giggs and Beckham would make ahim a decent striker .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People complain when Makienok doesnt jump high enough to head the ball (or if none of his headers go on target or to his team-mates) but you've also got to look at how the ball is delivered to him...

(1) Makienok is a tall bloke (only a bit taller than myself) and I can vouch that tall people cannot jump very far off the ground, just look at Peter Crouch who barely gets off the ground himself...

(2) So that means if the ball is hit too high, he'll be stretching to receive the ball, it means that the ball wont hit the sweet spot on his head which naturally means that if Simon makes contact, its going to be a lottery where the ball ends up.

(3) Yes Simon doesnt bother to jump sometimes yet thats usually because you can easily see he don't stand a chance of getting the ball because its far too high, but at the same time why should he, if he goes for every lost cause its telling his team mate they can just hit and hope and that Simon will go chasing for any pathetic pass... By ignoring some hoofs he's sending a message that if they want the pressure eased off them, they have to pass better

(4) We saw against Ipswich the above is the case... We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs), he can then control the ball and bring other players into play rather than a pointless hopeful flick on, on Saturday every time that happened we started a dangerous attack.

(5) At the same time you dont want to see the ball given to Makienok's feet (Using myself as an example), its a long way down from your eyes to your feet so his ball control on the floor is pretty shocking

So basically don't knock it to him in the air or on the ground ?

We saw against Forest that if you aim for Simon's chest (or ribs)

Hmmm where do YOU think the chest / ribs is located on a Human?
  • Options
    edited January 2016

How "tall" is tall?

I cannot think of a world class high jumper under 6 foot and most are considerably taller than that.

This man is a good example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohdan_Bondarenko

That said I agree that a lot of the service he receives is dire.
  • Options

From Saturday that's simply not true. Countless times the ball was played into him and instead of letting the ball hit him on the chest or body he panicked and crouched to head back first time. Only one I can remember working was from a long Henderson pass and he wasn't marked. That's not gonna happen a lot for a 6ft 7 barely mobile centre forward.
  • Options

I genuinely wouldn't know, being vertically challenged myself but how come Rugby back row forwards manage to jump high in a line out albeit more often than not assisted.

Perhaps it's a case of altitude sickness mate for footballers :wink:.

Seriously though I think shorter stockier forwards are physically more adept at springing upwards from a standing position, Uwe Seeler and Gerd Muller, top German Strikers of yesteryear and even our own Igor immediately come to mind.
  • Options
    What I have found interesting and although I agree with it in principle, is the 'support the team, not the regime' ethos. I'm really starting to run out of patience with some of those players, particularly Mak, Ba & Sarr. Yes they're all still young, but they're just not good enough. I thought Mak would be okay given his start. I don't agree with the ironic jeering, but all 3 of them just aren't up to it. Sarr's balance is weird, he doesn't look comfortable on the ball, and is error prone. Ba is a massive liability. Does the odd bit of skill but is in no way able to cope with how physical the league is, and prone to lose possession. Mak, for the size he is really struggles to win the physical battle.

Like I said, I know they're young, but, like our inexperienced manager, they're just not good enough for us.
  • Options

From Saturday that's simply not true. Countless times the ball was played into him and instead of letting the ball hit him on the chest or body he panicked and crouched to head back first time. Only one I can remember working was from a long Henderson pass and he wasn't marked. That's not gonna happen a lot for a 6ft 7 barely mobile centre forward.
    Strange cos I saw it happen about four or five times... Had you left when Makienok held up the ball and passed to Harriott right at the death when he almost scored on the counter attack and then from the resulting corner?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tall people can't jump?
    The Masai can jump about 2' off the ground with no run up.
  • Options

Tall people can't jump?

Are they like the Fekawi tribe?

They're a tribe who live in really tall grass which can be annoying because they can't actually see where they are, to actually tell their location they're forever jumping up and down going... Where the feck are we, where the feck are we?
    the old ones certainly are the best.
  • Options
    alangee said:

Wenger says it takes a player a full season to get used to football in UK. Take Ozil example, last year - his first full season at Arsenal - he was being rubbished by the Arsenal fans. This year they are saying he is one of the best in the world in his position.

We give our foreign players 10 minutes, and then decide that they are shit.

Crikey - I guess that means that by the time he is up to speed that he will be back in Italy!
  • Options

Tall people can't jump?

Are they like the Fekawi tribe?

They're a tribe who live in really tall grass which can be annoying because they can't actually see where they are, to actually tell their location they're forever jumping up and down going... Where the feck are we, where the feck are we?
    the old ones certainly are the best.
    Someone call? :wink: .
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    alangee said:

Wenger says it takes a player a full season to get used to football in UK. Take Ozil example, last year - his first full season at Arsenal - he was being rubbished by the Arsenal fans. This year they are saying he is one of the best in the world in his position.

We give our foreign players 10 minutes, and then decide that they are shit.

Trouble is most of ours have been, so Big Mak doesn't have the dice loaded in his favour. I liked him at first and predicted he'd be our top scorer with 10 after TWW went to Cardiff and am still hopeful he will do the business.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Strange cos I saw it happen about four or five times... Had you left when Makienok held up the ball and passed to Harriott right at the death when he almost scored on the counter attack and then from the resulting corner?
    From what i can remember he didnt hold it up, he deflected a pass into his path. Happy to be proved wrong on that tho.
  • Options

From what i can remember he didnt hold it up, he deflected a pass into his path.
    Watch it from about 2:30... http://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-n-forest/339824

He definitely controls it with his chest before passing on to Harriott