Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Government Petition

Could a government petition be set up the ones that you need I think 100,000 signatures to get it discussed in parliament. It could be for all football supporters to sign uk wide to stop people from abroad purchasing English clubs without any consideration for the fans. Not sure how to set it up but if CAFC, Bolton and Aston Villa are suffering now it may be something in general the footballing community would sign as its in every clubs interest. Not sure how you do it or how to word it but there is no better time than now.

Comments

• Options

Could a government petition be set up the ones that you need I think 100,000 signatures to get it discussed in parliament. It could be for all football supporters to sign uk wide to stop people from abroad purchasing English clubs without any consideration for the fans. Not sure how to set it up but if CAFC, Bolton and Aston Villa are suffering now it may be something in general the footballing community would sign as its in every clubs interest. Not sure how you do it or how to word it but there is no better time than now.

Bolton it's a bit different, didn't they just go on an unsustainable spending spree over the course of a few years to the point they now struggle to pay staff? I know it's still the fans losing out, but it doesn't seem quite as poignant; that said - you could argue our days under MS/TJ after Cash pulled out were similar..

I do think there's decent potential in a joint petition though, and it could tie in with the campaigns to get the attention of local MPs. If there's already a bill being spoken about for precisely this type of affair..

The media on our situation alone has been pretty positive, and getting a few tweets here and there would probably get us off to a good start. Combined with the fact Aston Villa are still a Prem club with Prem levels of support, and then there are other sympathetic clubs like Blackpool, Cardiff and Leeds. I think it's a cause that most fans could get behind, regardless of club allegiance.

It would have to be worded carefully though, what do we actually want? It needs to be clear and sensible; say legislation surrounding owner transparency and fan representation? obligations to the local community and economy?
  • Options
    For every Charlton or Leeds, there's a Man City, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Southampton, or Watford etc. where foreign owners have delivered great success.

Is it ok if English owners like those at Blackpool bring their clubs to their knees?
  • Options
    Why would you want to stop people from abroad buying English clubs? Do you think Chelsea and Man City fans would sign it? Eddie Davies, the Bolton owner is English! It would also be unlawful to ban them if they were EU citizens, and pretty tricky to ban anyone outside the EU also.

It isn't about nationality - I haven't got any problem with Belgium, just one or two specific Belgians.

Maybe best to focus on our issues at hand.
  • Options
    Bolton are British owned I believe, losing £1m a month on top of all their other debts
  • Options
    I don't think foreign owners are a problem per se, it's absentee wannabe messiahs that are the problem. There might be some scope for a joint campaign with other clubs, but whatever it was would have to be very carefully considered.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Bolton it's a bit different, didn't they just go on an unsustainable spending spree over the course of a few years to the point they now struggle to pay staff? I know it's still the fans losing out, but it doesn't seem quite as poignant; that said - you could argue our days under MS/TJ after Cash pulled out were similar..

I do think there's decent potential in a joint petition though, and it could tie in with the campaigns to get the attention of local MPs. If there's already a bill being spoken about for precisely this type of affair..

The media on our situation alone has been pretty positive, and getting a few tweets here and there would probably get us off to a good start. Combined with the fact Aston Villa are still a Prem club with Prem levels of support, and then there are other sympathetic clubs like Blackpool, Cardiff and Leeds. I think it's a cause that most fans could get behind, regardless of club allegiance.

It would have to be worded carefully though, what do we actually want? It needs to be clear and sensible; say legislation surrounding owner transparency and fan representation? obligations to the local community and economy?
    Totally agree with everything you are saying.
  • Options

For every Charlton or Leeds, there's a Man City, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Southampton, or Watford etc. where foreign owners have delivered great success.

Is it ok if English owners like those at Blackpool bring their clubs to their knees?

Yes that's true newtorkaddick needs to be across the board I guess any owner in general
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Why would you want to stop people from abroad buying English clubs? Do you think Chelsea and Man City fans would sign it? Eddie Davies, the Bolton owner is English! It would also be unlawful to ban them if they were EU citizens, and pretty tricky to ban anyone outside the EU also.

It isn't about nationality - I haven't got any problem with Belgium, just one or two specific Belgians.

Maybe best to focus on our issues at hand.

I guess what I meant was owners that do not engage with fans and completely alienate them. Agreed with your points raised but with all the problems in football it might be the right time to reach out to the wider football community as part of our protest.
  • Options
    Why stop at football clubs? Most utility companies are now foreign owned.

• Options
    Wasn't PV's proposed role essentially leading a Kuwait owned bid ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAIA
    edited January 2016
    Didn't realise until just now how far behind Villa are. 11 points from safety with 18 matches to go.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    se9addick said:

Wasn't PV's proposed role essentially leading a Kuwait owned bid ?

No it wasn't introducing an interested future buyer yes. Where has it been intimated the 3rd party was from Kuwait. I believe Airman Brown didn't know who the perspective buyers were or where they were from.