Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this the earliest Charlton Athletic symbol?

Comments

• Options
    Interesting design
  • Options
    Looks like a badge from an American Baseball side like the New York Yankees combined with the Cincinnati Reds
  • Options
    I like it.
    I'd like to see it revived in some form.
  • Options
    Nug said:

It would look great on some black and white scarves.

Request some funding from Curb_It.

:smiley:
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    just goes to show that coherent logo design is not a brand new trade .. I like the allusion to a lucky horseshoe in the shape of the 'C'
  • Options

Looks like a badge from an American Baseball side like the New York Yankees combined with the Cincinnati Reds

It looks like the Rangers one
  • Options
    Wasn't something very much like that still in use in things like programmes and club handbooks from the 50s or 60s? I'm sure it looks familiar from that period.
  • Options
    Looks remarkably like Rangers scroll crest, which I've no doubt will please loads on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The question is whether it was a logo peculiar to Charlton or a generic printers design.

Will look at the other early year books (the museum now have scanned copies of all the PRE-WW1 hand books) and see what there is.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Looks remarkably like Rangers scroll crest, which I've no doubt will please loads on here.

Is extremely similar... Wonder if thats why it was changed?
  • Options

The question is whether it was a logo peculiar to Charlton or a generic printers design.

Will look at the other early year books (the museum now have scanned copies of all the PRE-WW1 hand books) and see what there is.

Good question. It might be worth contacting other clubs' museums to see if they have anything similar.

I seem to remember that you had a pennant a while ago and some ebay trawls found that it was a generic thing as both Arsenal and Palace had remarkably similar.
  • Options
    The logo doesn't appear again although I realised we are missing the 23/4 handbook

No other logos or badges are used in the hand books although we know the club used the C A F in in Club design.
  • Options
    Was it worn on the shirts or just printed in the handbook ?
  • Options
    Just the handbook
  • Options
    Stig said:

Very similar to the Dundee FC crest too, which will also no doubt please loads on here
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Just the handbook

Interesting. Didn't we play with the crest of some Greenwich nobility at a point in our very early history or have I completely imagined that ?

Edit - we used the crest of the Met. Borough of Greenwich (but not on our shirts) in the 1940/50s but the crest in the hand book long predates that.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Just the handbook

Interesting. Didn't we play with the crest of some Greenwich nobility at a point in our very early history or have I completely imagined that ?

Edit - we used the crest of the Met. Borough of Greenwich (but not on our shirts) in the 1940/50s but the crest in the hand book long predates that.
    60s

• Options
    I think it would look good on a cap perhaps a museum initiative, certainly a striking design and it was great to find it in the handbook, I just wish I had seen it before I got the war memorial carved :-(