Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

11minute read - "Charlton Athletic Make a 'Statement'"

edited January 2016 in General Charlton
Available here. :)

I think I've posted it unlisted, I'll try and proofread it again and make it more concise - alas, I seem to be a man of many many words.

Any thoughts and corrections would be greatly appreciated, ta!

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic read
  • Options
    Well put. A sad but true reflection of the current situation.
  • Options
    excellent article
  • Options
    Would love to hear what Martin Simons makes of all this.Good times had when true Charlton men run the club.
    Look at the faces now ,my heart bleeds when i hear the board now.
    As for the article a good an true read.
  • Options

Would love to hear what Martin Simons makes of all this.Good times had when true Charlton men run the club.
    Look at the faces now ,my heart bleeds when i hear the board now.
    As for the article a good an true read.

Was thinking the same - Martin and Roger Alwen must be mortified by what's going on at a club they did so much for. ....
  • Options
    Another really good article.
    Just watched the vid of the DJ in the lounge. Hilarious. What were they thinking when they dreamed that one up. Comedy gold Katrien :-)
  • Options
    My only question to you LuckyReds is, now what are you going to do with it? I think it is very good, but if it is only seen by CL readers it is a waste of time. It must be seen by the general public and Charlton fans that are not on this forum. I hope you have luck getting a newspaper to publish it
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks guys - I'm impressed anyone gave it a go to be honest!

hah, as for the video of the DJ; I had to work that in there somehow - it's the greatest thing to come of the club in the last 2 years.
    ross1 said:

My only question to you LuckyReds is, now what are you going to do with it? I think it is very good, but if it is only seen by CL readers it is a waste of time. It must be seen by the general public and Charlton fans that are not on this forum. I hope you have luck getting a newspaper to publish it

Not a clue what to do with it to be honest! It started as a few notes on the Q&A session.. then just grew. I think I have a few similar things kicking about on my computer from when I get bored at work. I broke out the red pen and made a few corrections just now, so I'll probably do a final check again after work.

The problem is, it seems like an awfully long thing to read - and I'm not sure if it's very appealing for anyone outside of CharltonLife and the immediate supporters. It's frustrating as we're the ones who already know that stuff!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Interesting that the budget has increased (RM) 40% to be the 3rd lowest in the division (KM). Can someone post Powell's squad prior to takeover. Suspect someone is telling porkies again! I look forward to the next set of published accounts.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Interesting that the budget has increased (RM) 40% to be the 3rd lowest in the division (KM). Can someone post Powell's squad prior to takeover. Suspect someone is telling porkies again!

Nice catch, not to mention that by Murray's logic - Roland was a huge idiot for sacking Chris Powell who had a drastically smaller budget and no network, but was averaging a win every 5 matches. (In contrast, this season we are averaging a win every 12 (soon to be 13.) games)

Having a quick check of Charlton Athletic Football Company Ltd on DueDil, I'm going to take a punt that their accounts until 06/2015 will be available within the next month or so. This should give us a good picture of the finances involved in their first year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Interesting that the budget has increased (RM) 40% to be the 3rd lowest in the division (KM). Can someone post Powell's squad prior to takeover. Suspect someone is telling porkies again!

Nice catch, not to mention that by Murray's logic - Roland was a huge idiot for sacking Chris Powell who had a drastically smaller budget and no network, but was averaging a win every 5 matches. (In contrast, this season we are averaging a win every 12 (soon to be 13.) games)
    Watched the live stream at RD's house
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Having a quick check of Charlton Athletic Football Company Ltd on DueDil, I'm going to take a punt that their accounts until 06/2015 will be available within the next month or so. This should give us a good picture of the finances involved in their first year.
    Disappointing to note that despite this company being formed on our return to the Valley following financial meltdown, it' Articles of Association are that of an off the shelf company with a wide range of general aims. I'd certainly have specified "play football at the Valley".
  • Options
    Brilliant article only one small complaint, it only took me seven minutes to read it.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Rather shockingly for such a long article, over 220 people have made the effort of reading it according to the stats on medium.

Thanks to anyone who has popped it on Facebook and Twitter, as a few readers originate from there too.
  • Options
    (I can't edit a post and attach an image apparently)

Must say I had a giggle at the way it appears when tweeted..

• Options
    Accounts for all 3 entities due by 31st March though I reckon they will submit prior to that, can now download a significant proportion of company and officer information via the Beta service at www.gov.uk/companieshouse , have checked it out briefly and seems to work OK and is free.
  • Options
    Very good article. Well worth a read.
  • Options
    I read it just 5-minutes though so I want some money back please
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Rather shockingly for such a long article, over 220 people have made the effort of reading it according to the stats on medium.

Thanks to anyone who has popped it on Facebook and Twitter, as a few readers originate from there too.

And I suspect those that made it to the end is probably around the 70-80 mark.

Very sad evolution of the Internet, social media etc is people's ability to read more than 600-800 words is a very small percentage.
  • Options

LuckyReds said:

And I suspect those that made it to the end is probably around the 70-80 mark.

Very sad evolution of the Internet, social media etc is people's ability to read more than 600-800 words is a very small percentage.
    When I checked there were 450 views but 220+ actual "read"; I suspect you're right in that it's a bit optimistic! I'm not sure how Medium calculates what a "read" institutes; browsing to the end of the article?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Probably measured on those that kept the webpage open longer than three minutes or similar.
  • Options

Probably measured on those that kept the webpage open longer than three minutes or similar.

In other words, 220 different occasions where people did some sly tab flipping in the office ;)
  • Options
    3rd lowest budget and inexperienced interim manager = team with prem league ambitions.
    You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Well written and an honest reflection of the situation - sadly.
  • Options
    Excellent read and a perfect summary and critique.