Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

customers v fans

I tend to be an observer rather than a poster on this site but FYI I sent this email to Katrien this afternoon. Penned it after lunch in the pub today. Not sure what good it will do but it made me feel better.

Dear Katrien

I am writing because I have been a ‘fan’ of Charlton Athletic for 41 years – so well before you were born and I expect well after you’re gone. Apologies if I go on a bit, but to paraphrase Blaise Pascal, if I had more time, I would have written you a shorter email.

Your comments about people like me being mere customers, equivalent to someone who goes to a restaurant, really interested me. Is that really how you see the fan base of this proud and illustrious club?

If so, let’s look at the comparison. For the past 30 or so years, I have lived in Bristol and the South-West. I have bought a season ticket, usually 4 months in advance of receiving my first ‘meal’. I would not pay any restaurant for 23 possible meals 4 months in advance, particularly as I do not know at that time exactly when I can expect to receive the meals. It may be a Saturday, Sunday or a Tuesday – if the latter I miss out due to work, but it is always variable. However, I do not get a refund for being unable to attend. When I book a restaurant, it suits my time and circumstances, not vice versa. Over the last 41 years, I have been to hundreds of different restaurants – but only one football club.

I would also not book a restaurant and pay them up front for a product when I don’t pretty much know the quality of the product and service I am going to receive. If I receive a bad meal or bad service, I expect a discount or refund from the restaurant – and usually get it. Is that what you are proposing for Charlton, that we can all ask for a refund if the ‘product’ or ‘service’ you deliver on any particular day is not up to scratch? If so, you owe me and countless other season ticket holders a lot of money. If a restaurant has a bad day, I don’t go back.

I would also not book a restaurant 135 miles from where I live – so a round journey of 270 miles.

In addition, I am doing your marketing for you. Despite being born in the South-West, my daughters have grown up to become dedicated Charlton ‘fans’ and used to be season ticket holders, until work and distance intervened. They still attend away matches however, like the recent Bristol City one.

My daughters in turn converted several of their school friends who are still Charlton ‘fans’. I also converted my brother-in-law, who in turn converted his son and they are both season ticket holders. My brother-in-law’s son (my nephew) has also bought baby kit for his son – and so it goes on. I would not do this for any restaurant – and certainly wouldn’t buy their merchandising.

I could go on, but I think I’ve made my point. A fan is much more than a customer. Supporting a football club is a way of life. We are both fans and stakeholders.

Even if we were just ‘customers’, we matter more than you admit to. I have been in marketing most of my life and one of its fundamental tenets is that without its customers, a company does not exist. You dismiss ‘oldies’ like me but the demonstration after the match last week showed that your younger fans are also very unhappy. Treating your customers with contempt can end badly – the Gerald Ratner case study springs to mind.

If you and Roland really had the best interests of Charlton at heart, you would have at least met with Peter Varney to see what he had to say. Instead, your attitude shows arrogance and is insulting both to a potential investor and to Charlton fans/stakeholders.

Finally, over the years, I have had a lot of time for Richard Murray, but his recent feeble Q&A really does not cut it.

I am not asking for a reply as I know that despite your own charter, you don’t do that. However, whilst I am not naturally one of life’s protesters, I am now firmly in the ‘Black & White’ camp – and urge you to at least talk to Peter Varney.

Comments

• Options
    Superbly put!
  • Options
    Very well put.

Let's us know if and when you get a response
  • Options
    Excellent. As you rightly state in your final par, not a cat's chance in hell of her replying.

I wonder if a day goes by when she doesn't regret the "restaurant" and "customer" comment?
  • Options
    Well written and well said you obviously didn't have enough beer with that lunch!
  • Options
    Macronate said:

very good.

my only concern is that she will now go out and try to sign Blaise Pascal.

He could play some neat triangles in midfield
  • Options
    She will be looking up Gerald Ratner. Just in case he can do a turn in the Club Shop.
  • Options
    It still dumbfounds me that so much energy has gone into criticising Katrien's restaurant/cinema analogy, when it was clearly intended as a way to disassociate football fandom from other forms of custom in the first place.
  • Options
    Good post, well done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Echo other comments - very well put
  • Options
    Great letter, superbly written. Glad you used your energy to write it.
  • Options
    Very well written.But I bet it's already in the deleted items folder
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I do see your point, Leuth but I don't really agree with it. Whilst I haven't bothered watching it back again, my interpretation at the time was similar to yours in terms of her not actually saying that fans were customers, however she made the distinction, bemoaned it and seemed completely bemused by it. The insinuation is pretty much there even if the words aren't.

Consistently her public communication about the fanbase is disparaging and her actions consistent with her communication. It's not entirely surprising that fans are now jumping on anything that she says and pulling it apart (I honestly don't believe that Charlton fans are predisposed to do this, it is borne out of their actual experience) - though the exact wording fans have picked up on may not be 100% accurate, I believe that the message is and it has proved a useful one in shining a light on the actual behaviour of our CEO.

• Options
    I think it's a really well written letter that should strike a cord with someone who values their "customers".

She will just think it's weird.
  • Options
    Another great post if only they would listen.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Agree with previous posters. Well written and reasoned.

Respect.
  • Options
    Good post. I sent KM an e-mail when Luzon got sacked, politely enquiring whether or not I was entitled to a refund of my season ticket money, due to the difference between what I was promised at the start of the season, and what has actually transpired. I didn't expect an answer, no-one does.
  • Options
    Excellent @bristoladdick, well done mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great post you should send a summary to the Evening Standard
  • Options

Leuth said:

It still dumbfounds me that so much energy has gone into criticising Katrien's restaurant/cinema analogy, when it was clearly intended as a way to disassociate football fandom from other forms of custom in the first place.

She wasnt dissociating them, she was trying to distinguish between the two but in a negative, disparaging way. She felt that having a different relationship with a football club than with that of a cinema or restaurant or feeling any ownership was "weird".

She was saying "they don't react like that in a restaurant or cinema, why do they react like that with poor me?" and asking rhetorically "Why do they feel a sense of ownership when they don't have equity?". That she doesn't understand the reasons for that is bad enough, that she says it in public and in such as way to curry favour with her audience is worse.
    That's not what she said at all.
  • Options
    Who's doing the match thread ...
  • Options
    I actually think Leuth is right about that part - I agree that what she was trying to do was highlight that the relationship between a football club (business) and it's customers (fans) is different to other business/customer relationship in the hospitality/entertainment industry and talk about how that is challenge almost unique to those running a football club.

Perhaps because of English not being her first language (particularly the use of the word "weird") it came across badly, but I actually believe the point she intended to make was not unreasonable and relatively harmless.

I also agree with Henry that by now she easily could (and should) have corrected the misinterpretation (if that is what it is) by a simple bit of extra communication with the fans, but when they continue not to talk to us directly they just leave a vacuum for rumour and innuendo to flourish and wheeling out batty old Uncle Richard for a pre-scripted 'interview' is not going to fill that vacuum.

Personally I think it is high time we heard from, and had the chance to talk to, Roland himself.

• Options
    Bristoladdick, I really hope you get a reply and then she can put straight what she actually meant! Her silence is so revealing of her lack of experience and understanding of football/fans/cafc.
  • Options
    Yep. We must all be odd. Blaise Lepont Pascal - wasn't he the guy last season running around the pitch doing Basil FAwlty impersonations? Another gem unearthed ....BA I echo your sentiments.
  • Options
    I think if Katrien did reply, fans might have a bit more respect for her, I wonder how many fans emails she receives a day, and how many she replies too?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    IA said:

Leuth said:

She wasnt dissociating them, she was trying to distinguish between the two but in a negative, disparaging way. She felt that having a different relationship with a football club than with that of a cinema or restaurant or feeling any ownership was "weird".

She was saying "they don't react like that in a restaurant or cinema, why do they react like that with poor me?" and asking rhetorically "Why do they feel a sense of ownership when they don't have equity?". That she doesn't understand the reasons for that is bad enough, that she says it in public and in such as way to curry favour with her audience is worse.
    That's not what she said at all.
    Yes it is - she literally used the word "weird" to describe football supporters attachment to the football club. She could have used any other word - "incredible", "amazing", "unbelievable", but she chose weird.
  • Options
    I've sent her 3 e-mails. All polite, but questioning and had nada.