Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An interesting scenario for the last day of the season

Speculation in the morning paper. Not doubt you bright sparks have already spotted this possibility but suppose:
1. We are relegated tonight
2. West Ham are being beaten comfortably with 10 mins to go at Old Trafford
3. Sheff Utd and Wigan are, at the same time, drawing.
As things stand with 10 mins to go, Sheff Utd and West Ham would be safe and Wigan relegated.
However, WH's impending defeat means that Sheff Utd would know they would be safe even if they were to lose to Wigan. How unfortunate then for the Hammers if Wigan were somehow to scramble a last minute winner, thereby leap-frogging WH and Sheff Utd on goal diff and sending the Hammers down.
Most unfortunate indeed for West Ham and I'm sure Warnock would be furious at dropping a place to 17th and losing £500k merit award.

Comments

• Options
    If we should win tonight and at Anfield. ;-)
    And West Ham get a point at Old Trafford.

If Wigan beat Sheff Utd - then they both go down.
    Did you hear that, Colin? ;-)
  • Options
    Now that would be some twist to the end of season. I wonder if the Hammers would question the integrity of Sheffield United to the EPL? - O the irony (even the irony is an irony - come on you irons).
  • Options
    Poetic Justice?
    You may think that........I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    Nice conspiracy Peanuts, i'm sure chairman and managers would be equally pleased.

But footballers by the rule once in a game are not particularly interested in scenarios elsewhere, they will be doing what they can to win.
  • Options
    or...tonight's game gets called off due to a waterlogged pitch, we beat liverpool at anfield on sunday and in the rearranged fixture one night next week we have to beat spurs at home to stay up...
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]or...tonight's game gets called off due to a waterlogged pitch, we beat liverpool at anfield on sunday and in the rearranged fixture one night next week we have to beat spurs at home to stay up...

Now THAT is a great one !!

Curb It, stick your hose out the kitchen window and flood the South end of the pitch !!
  • Options
    No no no. OK, we win tonight but Warnock still reckons we're as down as we are losing 2-0 at Anfield with 3 minutes to go and so chucks the game to Wigan.
    However, Pards dispenses with goalkeeper Randolph to throw on an extra striker in the form of Kevin (Liverpool-killer) Lisbie who proceeds to net an injury-time hat-trick in front of the kop to keep us up and send WH and Sheff Utd down.
    .....................I'm going for a lie down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]or...tonight's game gets called off due to a waterlogged pitch, we beat liverpool at anfield on sunday and in the rearranged fixture one night next week we have to beat spurs at home to stay up...

Now THAT is a great one !!

Curb It, stick your hose out the kitchen window and flood the South end of the pitch !!

i cant see the pitch cos treees in the way but i think the bubble is up over it. dire out there.