Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rick Everitt's On The Shambles, and more, at Colchester. New Article

2»

Comments

• Options
    PL54 said:

Once again the man that Always looks for the truth behind the mess that is charlton athletic.
    Good on you.

That's fine.
    Very good PL :wink:

On a serious note (not that our PL isn't serious). Very well written Airman. The pen is certainly mightier than the sword. When you read this and every other post by lifers that just accentuate the facts, it hammers home the incompetence of it all.

They're running out of time, ideas and shame. More articles like this please
  • Options

One bit really hits home: 'Whatever you make of the personalities involved, there’s little question in my mind that Varney’s investor possesses both the resources and the ambition to take Charlton back to the Premier League. This risk now is that those attributes will be diverted to a competitor club'. It means we have to fight this war with everything we have.

So very very true.
    Funnily enough, the bit about getting back into the Premier League is not my biggest concern, though it would be nice. I think it's much more fundamental than that. I don't need to trot out the reasons; everyone knows what they are.
  • Options
    An excellent summary Rick your best to date for me.

Saddened as I was by the fans turning on the players, the context is understandable. As it was a cup game, the players may have had an easier subconscious way of showing their disillusionment.
  • Options

One bit really hits home: 'Whatever you make of the personalities involved, there’s little question in my mind that Varney’s investor possesses both the resources and the ambition to take Charlton back to the Premier League. This risk now is that those attributes will be diverted to a competitor club'. It means we have to fight this war with everything we have.

So very very true.
    Funnily enough, the bit about getting back into the Premier League is not my biggest concern, though it would be nice. I think it's much more fundamental than that. I don't need to trot out the reasons; everyone knows what they are.
    I agree, but I think the point is that it seems increasingly PL clubs are able to be sustainable, whereas Championship clubs require subsidy.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

So very very true.
    I agree, but I think the point is that it seems increasingly PL clubs are able to be sustainable, whereas Championship clubs require subsidy.
    The amount of money they (Prem clubs) get from TV deals these days, it would almost be harder for them not to be sustainable. I'm sure some will still manage it though!
  • Options

So very very true.
    It's a fair point. What might seem a facetious comment on the back of that but is meant seriously - is League 1 an easier place, do you think, to break even once you 'downsize'? In which case, RD's strategy (sort of) makes sense.
  • Options
    I do like the name The Shambles, when we move to the Peninsular could we name the ground this?
  • Options

I do like the name The Shambles, when we move to the Peninsular could we name the ground this?

"Shambles" is an obsolete term for an open-air slaughterhouse and meat market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shambles
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    micks1950 said:

"Shambles" is an obsolete term for an open-air slaughterhouse and meat market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shambles
    It's a perfect description of the Valley these days.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I don't think we should advocate any nasty stuff, but we do have some hard fans. I trust they will deal with this in their own way. This is going to get nasty. You can only blame the owner and his cronies when it does.