Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Re-reading Curbishley's Book

edited January 2016 in General Charlton
Because we are so far away from where we were I can finally look back on the past with fondness, it doesn't hurt so much now as we aren't within touching distance.

The think that becomes so clear is the management of the players, the money, the care taken, the focus, the gradual building, the careful, focused assessment of every single decision, the understanding of the human aspect of each and every appointment from coaching staff to player, the deep levels of scouting involved, the trusted group of senior staff members, the talking discussing and rules that were put in place to protect all involved at all times, the characters that stood strong, the players that dragged us forward... the ethos.

It is an utter shame that we have had this cancer move in, and more surprising is how RM is acting based on the tremendous support and vision he had regarding the club in those early years of our assent.

However the ONLY positive I can see is that it has mobilised the supporter base, and once these maggots are out of OUR club I can see us getting the right men in again to move us forward.

Is there any more we can do? (Protest image outside the MCG is coming soon)

Comments

• edited January 2016
    I don't think the vision was that amazing. What he did well was to realise Curbs was a bit special. Then it was a case of letting the bloke build the club. He loved the recognition it brought him at the time and basked in the glow, but he didn't learn anything from it did he? We let him off to a degree because it was Palace, but his behaviour when they got relegated was disgraceful for a football chairman. From being a Charlton legend, he has managed to get his name erased from any positive legacy. His name can join Glickstein's now. He is nothing to us!
  • I wonder if the tragic death of Richard Murray's wife hasn't helped the club.

You read the book and it mentions that Curbs and Murray would have discussions round the latters house and Mrs Murray would come out and say; Just give Curbs what he wants, you can trust him to do the right thing (Or something like that)

Since she's been gone I wonder if he's lost that side that would soften him up a bit ensuring he did the right thing for the club.
  • Curbishley and Varney were our gems in that period, with some excellent support staff. Murray showed when Curbishley left that he didn't really know what he was doing. Who knows what would have happened if Curbishley had been allowed to see out the final year of his contract and had been given the funds that Dowie wasted.
  • edited January 2016
    wmcf123 said:

Curbishley and Varney were our gems in that period, with some excellent support staff. Murray showed when Curbishley left that he didn't really know what he was doing. Who knows what would have happened if Curbishley had been allowed to see out the final year of his contract and had been given the funds that Dowie wasted.

The voices against the appointments of Dowie and Pardew must have been a tiny minority. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Dowie was probably the best available choice at the time and I wonder if we gave him long enough in charge.
    Pards was the right appointment, but we got him too late (had WHU job) and that handful of games under Les Reed were wasted.
    Parky was a fair appointment but probably punching above his weight.
    Powell was an excellent appointment.
    Riga was a fair appointment and he could probably have bluffed another decent season
    Peeters was OK but had no experience of the Championship or dealing with British players/coaching.
    Luzon was a poor appointment for the same reasons.
    Fraye is a disaster appointment for the same reasons.

No decent Championship manager will touch us now, especially if the owner is going to interfere with team selection.
    We will either get Riga back or the board will bluff their way through the transfer window and then accept relegation in late Feb, by declaring the Fraye is permanent manager.

I think it is likely that Meire will be replaced before the end of the season.