Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So I can't go Charlton no more

Was the response from my son last night when I told him, I wouldn't renew our season tickets, broke my heart really, he just wants to go and watch Charlton and it made me feel who am I to stop him, so when the Blackburn game comes along if he wants to go in thats fine by me.And I will buy him season ticket if he wants one just wont buy one for myself.I will be fucked if I am going to let that duchaleat hurt me financially as well.One kids season ticket wont make feck all difference to him.

Comments

• Options
    Season ticket sales in general won't hit Duchatelets pocket
  • Options
    How old is your son... I started going to watch Charlton on my own in 1998 (I'd been going with a friend of my Dad for four years beforehand) which would have made me 14-years old, used to get a lift down to the BP Garage just round the corner from the Station and then would be picked up from there afterwards
  • Options
    It also got me thinking we need to keep the kids going regardless, because whilst we will boycott and come back, I'm not so sure they will, he loves footy and has seen all the shit times, I don't want to allow him the option of going elsewhere to watch his football because oneway or another he will go and watch footy on a saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    My son was the opposite as I'm still going but he asked to stop coming after the Ipswich game. The conversation had come up this season a few times already and I'd moaned and persuaded him that he must come and things will get better. I saw the boredom in his eyes that day as we were getting trounced and I made the decision to let him stay at home with Mum and his sisters. I still ask him before every game but I won't be working too hard to make him come and watch us get smashed again.

I know defeat and a lack of success is character building for a football fan and helps you enjoy the good times more but it's all too extreme at the moment. As things stand, I won't be renewing so nor will he.
  • Options
    Suppose it depends how old they are he is 14 , so likes the craic the whole matchday thing, we go in the car together and I see him after the game, he's got his own group of mates that he made at Charlton and who am I to take that away.
  • Options
    No one gets out of it that easy. When we moved out of Charlton my kids wanted to know if they could support someone else now. There was no way they weren't going to go through all the shit following Charlton like I have. We all go down together.
  • Options

Suppose it depends how old they are he is 14 , so likes the craic the whole matchday thing, we go in the car together and I see him after the game, he's got his own group of mates that he made at Charlton and who am I to take that away.

14 is old enough to go to games on his own... Do you live far from the Ground?
  • Options
    Yes mate Orpington
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think is a prime example of why we all need to do everything we can so that our ultimate goal is to start next season with Charlton Duchatelet free.

dont think we will get rid anywhere near that timescale, I reckon you are looking far longer than that I would say 2 years at least.I think this is the start of a long hard battle.
  • Options

Yes mate Orpington

Yeah location is a bit of a bugger as I work there and had a nightmare trying to get up to Charlton for the Bolton game and that was driving as there are no direct buses etc.
  • Options

I think is a prime example of why we all need to do everything we can so that our ultimate goal is to start next season with Charlton Duchatelet free.

dont think we will get rid anywhere near that timescale, I reckon you are looking far longer than that I would say 2 years at least.I think this is the start of a long hard battle.
    This.

The various protests have certainly rattled Murray and Meire and need to continue, but RD is another kettle of fish, and a cold, unfeeling one at that.
    Even if we are relegated this season, I can see him persisting in this half-baked, and rotting corpse of a project of his out of sheer bloody - mindedness if nothing else.

I fear we are in for the long haul.

• Options
    My son is 4, has a ST but told me he wants to stay at home to play Lego rather than going to Football with Daddy.

Then just before Christmas, I took him to Rochester United & he loved it, so it's the game he loves, just not Charlton!
  • Options
    14 year olds are not like they used to be, I would have thought 14 is more than old enough to attend on his own
  • Options
    My eldest son just stays in the Lib and gets twatted, I may join him for the next one.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
  • Options

Yes mate Orpington

I'd be worried he'd start going to watch his local PL club mate (although would love to see your face when he told you)
  • Options
    The good thing is Russ he fucking hates Palace as much as me and Millwall he's a good kid.
  • Options

Was the response from my son last night when I told him, I wouldn't renew our season tickets, broke my heart really, he just wants to go and watch Charlton and it made me feel who am I to stop him, so when the Blackburn game comes along if he wants to go in thats fine by me.And I will buy him season ticket if he wants one just wont buy one for myself.I will be fucked if I am going to let that duchaleat hurt me financially as well.One kids season ticket wont make feck all difference to him.

Mate I'm the same they AV totally ruined our club I'm gutted .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gonna buy him his ticket mate I owe him that but wont buy mine will go in boozer
  • Options
    I am all for a boycott but the best times you will have with your son include going to football with him.You should go mate ,family comes first.
  • Options

Gonna buy him his ticket mate I owe him that but wont buy mine will go in boozer

Hard for me mate can't let him go in on his own , I'm gutted and furious .
  • Options
    I started going to games on my own from Folkestone when I was 15, pulling on my Charlton shirt as I walked out of the school gates for evening games. Used to be buzzing all day knowing when the bell rang I was off to The Valley. Happy memories!

Hopefully your lad will be able to start making his own way soon, if that's what needs to happen. Obviously so important that we don't lose the youngsters because of RD's mismanagement.
  • Options
    I think the money you're spending on that posh school is being wasted

"So I can't go to Charlton any more?" is correct ; - )

Seriously, Joe is proper Charlton and yes he should have a season ticket.

Two black and white scarves in the post for him and you.

• Options
    i have been reading posts for years , but have never posted until i read this thread . i had a similar conversation with my 15 year old son last weekend . we have both been season ticket holders for about 8 years , but i have told him that i refuse to renew under current ownership.. he is gutted and loves Charltton , but last night asked if he could spend £100 of his own birthday money to go watch west ham next year.. all of his mates who support various teams are doing the same. season ticket for £100 to watch premier league football........ says no way he will start to support west ham , just wants to watch watch football with his pals !!!!!
  • Options
    Listening to Steve on Talksport now. Coming across very well.
  • Options
    Support the team not the regime, I cannot and will not stop going to CAFC regardless of if we think duchatelet will give a toss if the stadium is full or not. I will be renewing my season ticket. I will be getting behind the boys! No different to the last 25 years.
  • Options
    HandG said:

My son was the opposite as I'm still going but he asked to stop coming after the Ipswich game. The conversation had come up this season a few times already and I'd moaned and persuaded him that he must come and things will get better. I saw the boredom in his eyes that day as we were getting trounced and I made the decision to let him stay at home with Mum and his sisters. I still ask him before every game but I won't be working too hard to make him come and watch us get smashed again.

I know defeat and a lack of success is character building for a football fan and helps you enjoy the good times more but it's all too extreme at the moment. As things stand, I won't be renewing so nor will he.

Same here, my boy has stopped going and I definatly will not be renewing.