Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nothing but an investment and a circus

That's all we are, signed and sealed today.

Riga's appointment confirms my worst fears that I always knew were true. He has been brought back in to try and keep this team on life-support in the championship so that the owner can rebuild revenue streams, avoiding relegation is the pinnacle for the owner because of what that means to him financially but nothing more. After almost two years of mickey mouse management from top to bottom we are back where we started, with a coach who, for all intents and purposes, kept us up thanks in no short part to six games in hand, some reputable loan signings and shades of honeymoon luck, he won six games to seven losses and he had a far stronger squad than the one we had now and was not a marked man by his reckless owner, something his predecessor, despite his incredible hard work and fantastic achievement, was never afforded. Riga is here on an 18-month contract, it spells it out for you, he wasn't good enough for the first time around and he isn't the end-result of a managerial search that supposedly has been taking place since October, another Meire lie.

I don't care how likeable he is, no one can justify him as anything more than the best of a bad bunch and he's a networking coach, and probably our second choice. Just like our player recruitment failures, this is no different. I don't mind Riga but what he represents is going to ruin us and any fan who thinks this is sensible should go and join them in the West Stand lobby a week Saturday because as far as I'm concerned you are with them. I can't understand for the life of me how everyone can't see this circus for what it is. The model has failed, the reason we are in this situation is not all down to the managers, they are part of a far larger problem, one Riga actively buys into. It's not going to change long-term, we will repeat this cycle.

My heart and passion is sucked out and gone, I don't really care anymore and only decisions like this evoke any true emotions and the audacity of the owner to assess his popularity and tell me what I want and think given how they've ruined what I loved so much about the club and the way they stabbed a servant like Chrissy in the pack. F*** that. Is that honestly what we're going to settle for?

This is truly heartbreaking.

Comments

• Options
    Agree 100%
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Charlton had a maximum of 3 games in hand, not 6.

Riga won 7 games, drew 3 and lost 6. 24 points from 16 games, play off form and a win % of 43.75%.

He was good enough, first time round.

I agree with the rest.
  • Options

Riga's appointment confirms my worst fears that I always knew were true. He has been brought back in to try and keep this team on life-support in the championship so that the owner can rebuild revenue streams, avoiding relegation is the pinnacle for the owner because of what that means to him financially but nothing more. After almost two years of mickey mouse management from top to bottom we are back where we started, with a coach who, for all intents and purposes, kept us up thanks in no short part to six games in hand, some reputable loan signings and shades of honeymoon luck, he won six games to seven losses and he had a far stronger squad than the one we had now and was not a marked man by his reckless owner, something his predecessor, despite his incredible hard work and fantastic achievement, was never afforded. Riga is here on an 18-month contract, it spells it out for you, he wasn't good enough for the first time around and he isn't the end-result of a managerial search that supposedly has been taking place since October, another Meire lie.

I don't care how likeable he is, no one can justify him as anything more than the best of a bad bunch and he's a networking coach, and probably our second choice. Just like our player recruitment failures, this is no different. I don't mind Riga but what he represents is going to ruin us and any fan who thinks this is sensible should go and join them in the West Stand lobby a week Saturday because as far as I'm concerned you are with them. I can't understand for the life of me how everyone can't see this circus for what it is. The model has failed, the reason we are in this situation is not all down to the managers, they are part of a far larger problem, one Riga actively buys into. It's not going to change long-term, we will repeat this cycle.

My heart and passion is sucked out and gone, I don't really care anymore and only decisions like this evoke any true emotions and the audacity of the owner to assess his popularity and tell me what I want and think given how they've ruined what I loved so much about the club and the way they stabbed a servant like Chrissy in the pack. F*** that. Is that honestly what we're going to settle for?

Your penultimate paragraph hits the nail firmly on the head.
  • Options

Riga won 7 games, drew 3 and lost 6. 24 points from 16 games, play off form and a win % of 43.75%.

I agree with the rest.

True enough, Riga did well last time, but I think circumstances are different this time and the job is going to be a lot harder. I'm willing him to do the business again, but I have some nagging doubts that I can't shake off.
  • Options

I agree with the rest.

Luzon & Peters had similar runs at times - over the longer term they were absolutely abject.
  • Options
    Great post northdevon
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Today I have virtually lost interest having until the last few weeks been somewhat supportive of the regime.

I thought they had finally recognised the need for a real manager yet they haven't even interviewed anyone - complete joke.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    You can only work with the tools you are given and Jose is going to have his work cut out big time and that's after he's picked the players up off the floor after Tuesday night's debacle.

He doesn't have the same backroom staff to lean on, the core of a team that were closely bonded under CP or the luxury to get up to speed. Our run in is very tough and the trap door is already ajar so good luck JR my old fruit because you are certainly going to need it.
  • Options

I agree with the rest.

Five games on Millwall in 21st and Doncaster Rovers - who went down - in 20th, plus superior goal difference, when Riga's first match in charge kicked off. Checked it today.
  • Options

I agree with the rest.

Five games on Millwall in 21st and Doncaster Rovers - who went down - in 20th, plus superior goal difference, when Riga's first match in charge kicked off. Checked it today.
    I presume you're correct :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The interesting thing is that Doncaster had 36 points to Charlton's 27, but they finished on 44 to our 51. But 16:11 was also a big advantage in games over Millwall, for example, who were only four points ahead of us. We also had four on the other two who went down.

Riga did much better than necessary, but it's not that surprising we stayed up looking at the advantage we had - and the disadvantage Powell had had.
  • Options

We're not going to settle for it, no.
  • Options
    Nothing against Riga but when will Roland understand what it takes to manage a Championship (albeit probably only temporarily) club? we MUST get these people out of our club or I fear it will be the end.
  • Options
    Riga won't get the welcome he expects. I hope!!