Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Fixing In Tennis

I know no sport is immune from cheating, but pretty gutted to hear this news, just wonder who the players are, surely not Andy Murray?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35319202

Comments

• Options

I know no sport is immune from cheating, but pretty gutted to hear this news, just wonder who the players are, surely not Andy Murray?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35319202

Very sad if true, if top 50 players are under suspicion, it's more likely to be players ranked between 30 and 50, with no expectations of doing well at Wimbledon, the sorts of names that nobody other the 1% of tennis fanatics would know much about!
  • Options
    You'd think that the big 4 from the last 10 years would be clean (in this respect) as they don't need the money and have been remarkably consistent. I can only think of 3 non 'big 4' winners in that time, Del Potro, Wawrinka and Cilic so I guess the spotlight has to shine on them.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

You'd think that the big 4 from the last 10 years would be clean (in this respect) as they don't need the money and have been remarkably consistent. I can only think of 3 non 'big 4' winners in that time, Del Potro, Wawrinka and Cilic so I guess the spotlight has to shine on them.

It didn't say in the men's game unless I missed it so there's a few from the women's gane too. Maybe even the doubles.
  • Options
    Tiger Tim
  • Options
    No way would the BBC go after Murray. He's their golden child.
  • Options
    It happens in low grade tournaments which bookmakers and the exchanges such as Betfair feel obliged to offer prices on.

Equally, when a market that normally trades a few hundred quid match thousands the alarm bells start ringing. And bookies won't pay out as a result because they know they won't be challenged for not doing so.

Same thing has happened in snooker resulting in bans for the players involved such as those imposed on the Francsico brothers.

Cricket has, of course, suffered from this too.

Modern day technology though makes it very difficult for such "coups" to stay under the radar.
  • Options
    Andrew castle on the other hand ex itv and they are sworn enemies
  • Options
    It is not going to be the players that regularly get to the latter rounds of a tournament. They have huge bank accounts, and often bigger egos.
  • Options
    Id be shocked if Murray is knowingly involved in any way, just listen to him when they discuss drugs cheats in Tennis... He's like Cavendish and Thomas asked in Cycling, all are just disgusted by those who do it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    well I never !! .. whoda thought it was possible ?
  • Options

It didn't say in the men's game unless I missed it so there's a few from the women's gane too. Maybe even the doubles.
    Fair enough. I don't tend to give the womens game too much thought but I'm sure its just as likely to be a female champion. I suppose if you can film an athlete taking drugs or being involved in underage sex you own them and can force them to lose any point/game/match you want. If any big name players are caught up in this I'm sure it would be through that type if blackmail rather than them being out to make a fast Buck.
  • Options
    Perhaps Charlton were just joining in on Sat, throwing the first set six - love?
  • Options
    Can't say as I'm surprised.
    The players drifting around with low rankings, having to pay their own airfares between tournaments, buy their own racquets, shoes and kit, must really struggle to make ends meet, let alone pay for a coach. It must be quite tempting to not try too hard in a match you were the slight favourite to win if the bung would pay for a year's costs.
  • Options
    Women's game would be easier to fix as 'shocks' are more common than the men's. It would raise less suspicions
  • Options

Women's game would be easier to fix as 'shocks' are more common than the men's. It would raise less suspicions

Definitely, though they would also have lower odds
  • Options

Definitely, though they would also have lower odds
    I worked as a tennis trader for a large betting firm. Bent matches were very common, several every week. But as someone else said, it is usually less prestigious tournament. It was mostly men's matches, although it had started to creep in to women's tennis.

I have definitely seen it at the French open where Alex bogolomov jrn retired on a second serve match point down against Paul Henri mathieu. The authorities want nothing to do with it, as the want the game to look squeaky clean. Same with drug cheats, who have only just started to receive public bans.
  • Options
    Until Murray came along you didn't really need to pay British players to lose, but just work on the safe assumption that they would.
  • Options
    Mark Davies, who I worked with at Betfair, talking about it now on SS.
  • Options
    Murray vs Federer at the olympics was a strange game of tennis
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Murray vs Federer at the olympics was a strange game of tennis

Absolutely. I think Andy Murray won that match on purpose.
  • Options
    Federer gave it to Murray that day it was obvious.
  • Options
    There will be some kind of racquet behind all this.
  • Options
    1eyedtutt said:

Never. That's the one major thing he's never won in Tennis, which he needs to complete the set (4 Grand Slams, ATP Finals, Davis Cup)
  • Options
    It'll be wrestling next!
  • Options
    1eyedtutt said:

No possible way that happened, at that stage.
    The only thing that Federer has not won,and he'd give it away? No chance.
    Murray plays pretty well against Federer, a better matchup for him than Djokovic or Nadal.
  • Options
    1eyedtutt said:

Don't agree at all! No way on earth!