Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The signings so far

They sum up the state of this football club perfectly if you ask me.

Just two weeks ago Murray released a statement acknowledging blame for the board on what he called a number of issues, but really his boiled down to one, which was the massive failures in player recruitment. He cited foreign players had no adjusted well or not at all, and attributed a lot of our failings to this and glossed over everything else wrong at the football club in a throwaway manner. Those 'foreign players' he refers too didn't struggle because they were foreign, that's ridiculous to suggest in modern football, they struggled because they were from our owners out-of-depth networking system. Today we have once again plowed into that with the signing of Jorge Texiera. A centre back from Standard Liege, a former networking club of our owner's, who was brought in under his control and by a networked manager.

The other players we have brought in are an arriving-at-past-it journeyman in Roger Johnson, a dead fish in Rhys Williams who's career sunk so low Boro stripped him of the captaincy and a former youth player of ours on loan. All the NE chairman and both managers of the month have talked about is how crucial this transfer window is to any chance of us staying up (this is of course after ignoring/dismissing it), have used injuries as excuses only when it suits and this, THIS, is what they've brought us as we perish on three weeks in.

No one here knows how good, if any, Texiera is. You can cry to give him a chance and stop being so negative, however we do that the majority of networked signings have struggled, some have failed. It also shows our owner will only spend any real money on players brought to him through networking channels. This is no change whatsoever. I just watched Texiera's interview and on a sentimental note, it made me want to vomit. Full of loaded questions where this poor lad has to pretend he knows about Charlton when in reality he probably knows very little. He knows the gaffer (who everyone thinks is the second coming because he won six f***ing games two years ago!) and a soon-to-be former player and he has to stand there and pretend to know our 'history', which let's be honest, wouldn't fill a small A5 notepad. This is a heck of a risk to take given the situation we are in, that we think this is the type of player we should spend money on. Of course, it's not really a risk in the owner and CEO and manager's eyes, they buy into this system and think it will work. Because it's been doing a bang-up job so far....

There's also the other issue that we are not attractive enough, even to mid-range players. The likes of Johnson and Williams will happily cash cheques here until their soon-to-be-over professional careers are done. I'm not suggesting they're dishonest but they are not going to turn down a playing gig at this level at this stage of their careers when the other option is League One or Two on a far-less friendly pitch where injuries are increased even more and you only have one to two years left in you anyway. Poyet knows the team well and is hoping that can help him kick the door back open at West Ham, sure he'll play hard but reality is he won't be here at the end of May. Experienced championship players, not necessarily top-end, probably don't want to come here. The team's position, state of club and ongoing disconnect, for lack of a politer word, with the fans is hardly welcoming. Also, the manager doesn't help, his CV sticks in the lower end of Europe and he isn't going to convince many with experience here to come and play for us. If he was managing a Swiss second division club coming from Belgian top tier I'd imagine he'd be laughing.

Different day, same old Charlton (or rather, new).

Comments

• Options
    A bit long winded, but I get the point. And agree. The signing so far....good? Bad? Or jury's out?

RJ....older player. Wasn't wanted by the club at the end of last season. Shipped more goals than I care to remember since he joined. Bad?

DP....was a good young player. Talented. Happy to leave us despite everyone and their mum knowing he wouldn't get a look in at West Ham. Shipped out on loan. Didn't do well at MK Dons, we sign him. Yet to make a real impact. Jury's out.

RW....is on such a short loan was never going to make an impact. However, I was wrong, he has made an impact. Just the wrong one. Bad

JT....obviously jury's out but another old boy from an old network club signed by a network manager.

• Options
    We know Poyet can make a difference. Williams and Johnson both look dodgy business and although Teixeria looks like he might be ok we really don't know. What we have signed so far won't keep us up.
  • Options
    File under "underwhelmed"
  • Options
    Teixara? Who knows. Looks well briefed 'anyone who knows me knows I give everything in the field'

So he's a commitment player with a good defensive record and minimal to date injury record. Scores the odd goal from a decent free kick (JBG better practice the whipped in ball as well as the (currently missing) direct free kicks.

JBG not enough though so need another creative wide player who can cross. Fox, not looking at you.

Johnson failed to impress me last time round and an 18 month contract looks poor business.

Interested to hear Teixara in his interview say he spoke to Tony Watt who he played with at Liege before he joined.

• Options
    My glass is half full, which is not full enough so I'm going to top it up.
  • Options
    I still think Williams represents a low risk. There is a player in there, but he's got ten days to show he's up to scratch. If not, he's back to Boro.

I understand that in order to sign RoJo we probably needed to give him 18 months. Hopefully there's a way to break that contract in the summer. I figured he would come in and fill a void, did not anticipate him being so far off the pace. I like to think Fraeye had a look at him in training before they signed him but...yeah.

Texeira is still to be determined. He should walk into the first team, and he makes us less reliant on Johnson and Williams.

As for Poyet, the test will be in the next couple weeks. From what I've seen the game has passed him by the last couple weeks, but it has passed our entire team by. If Riga bring in rigidity and the ability to spring a counter attack, he could be incredibly useful...assuming he fancies it.
  • Options
    Williams, low risk and unfortunately low added value.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

I still think Williams represents a low risk. There is a player in there, but he's got ten days to show he's up to scratch. If not, he's back to Boro.

I understand that in order to sign RoJo we probably needed to give him 18 months. Hopefully there's a way to break that contract in the summer. I figured he would come in and fill a void, did not anticipate him being so far off the pace. I like to think Fraeye had a look at him in training before they signed him but...yeah.

Texeira is still to be determined. He should walk into the first team, and he makes us less reliant on Johnson and Williams.

As for Poyet, the test will be in the next couple weeks. From what I've seen the game has passed him by the last couple weeks, but it has passed our entire team by. If Riga bring in rigidity and the ability to spring a counter attack, he could be incredibly useful...assuming he fancies it.

Surely we can't risk playing Williams again after last week, he was absolutely shocking. Overall the signings have been disappointing on the face of it with all three of the British signings looking below par, but some of that may be the Fraeye effect. If heads are down they will feel it too, despite only just arriving at the club. We have to hope that Riga can lift them this week, it's possible he might get some performances out of them.

Teixeira will have to be judged on performances as we have no idea if he is good enough for this division. Riga seems to think he is so we'll find out soon enough.
  • Options
    Odd thing: the two games Sarr missed were calamities 0-5 and 0-6. Bring him back?!
  • Options
    Agree, and for me everyone got a fresh start Monday, at least in terms of team selection. I think The Fraeye Effect consumed everything leading up to that.

For Saturday, we could potentially have a team of
    Hendo
    Solly Teixeira ????? Fox
    JBG Cousins Poyet Harriot
    Watt Mak/Lookie

It's not bad that, with the exception of which of our four fit center halves pairs Texeira. Personally, I think it will be Sarr, as he can (sometimes) pass the ball out of defense, and I think he will be most improved under a proper manager. But I know I'm alone in this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you're not
  • Options
    I just can't get over Teixara being given a 4.5 year contract, has anyone we've brought in during the RD era been given a deal of that length? I remember Le Point getting a fairly lengthy contract (which actually lasted about four months) but nothing like this.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I just can't get over Teixara being given a 4.5 year contract, has anyone we've brought in during the RD era been given a deal of that length? I remember Le Point getting a fairly lengthy contract (which actually lasted about four months) but nothing like this.

Lots of them have long contracts! Vetokele had five years, Sarr four, etc etc
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

bloody hell, it gets worse !
  • Options
    My whelm has not even been stirred out of its bed for a cuppa. One utter has been, one cripple, a career stallee and an unknown 29 year d on a four and a half year contract. Couldn't make it up. I'll just about take Poyet if he is suitably contrite but not impressed with the rest. Planning for league 1
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

I think long contracts are also in place for Gudmonsson and Cousins.
  • Options
    The fans asked for championship experience, so RD gives them players that have it, very crafty RD, give them crap players, then they will accept more Belgians
  • Options

We know Poyet can make a difference. Williams and Johnson both look dodgy business and although Teixeria looks like he might be ok we really don't know. What we have signed so far won't keep us up.

Poyet made a difference before his career plummeted at West Ham. Jury out.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

bloody hell, it gets worse !
    Sarr five in fact...
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Poyet made a difference before his career plummeted at West Ham. Jury out.
    But we do know that he can. That's not the same as saying he will.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see that Nicky Shorey has signed for Colchester.
    Why the f#ck didn't we just hang on a little? Johnson for 18months ffs!!!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Pedro45 said:

se9addick said:

I think long contracts are also in place for Gudmonsson and Cousins.
    What we have to remember is that we are part of a network of clubs. RD signs em up and shuffles them around. If they don't work out he'll loan them out and probably charge over the top so he makes a profit there also. He has the wealth and is only looking to make money on player sales. He doesn't want British players because if they don't work out they would want to stay in Britain. ( how many British players are in Europe). The signing from Standard is a no brainer for him. He'll just move him on within the network.
  • Options
    When's the loan window?
  • Options
    Can we have the Liverpool Teixara as well? Well all dream of a team of Teixara...