Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have Charlton blocked CL on their WiFi?

Comments

• Options
    Not sure about CL being blocked specifically but I actually tweeted a screenshot my phone in the North Upper before kick-off showing the Internet connection was down. The cynic in me was thinking that this was somehow deliberately linked to preventing communcation on social media from CARD about the protests etc. Of course it may have just been a coincidence and I was being overly paranoid.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

ha, I thought this was a joke.

Are people seriously saying they have blocked CL from their WiFi ???

I was on the wifi all halftime on Saturday in East Stand, on Charlton Life, and had no problems.

I do feel sometimes people look for any old excuse nowadays...
    I agree. Just seemed strange that 10 people above said they had issues they didn't have with other sites, and there was no downtime with CL on Saturday

• Options
    edited January 2016
    It worked fine for me
  • Options
    I went on at half time and was looking at the match thread and trying to see what went on in the north (flag / stewards)
    For the 1st few minutes, it worked fine, then after a few pages "unable to open webpage"
    Could just be due to heavy usage?
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the wifi is only switched on during match days? If it's on permanently then perhaps someone could try and connect during the week when picking up tickets?

Would give a pretty definite answer and rule out an bandwidth related issues.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

I was on the wifi all halftime on Saturday in East Stand, on Charlton Life, and had no problems.

I agree. Just seemed strange that 10 people above said they had issues they didn't have with other sites, and there was no downtime with CL on Saturday

Are you sure you were picking it up on the wifi and not 3G/4G? Mr W is a bit more tech minded than me - he tried first on the wifi and got a "server not found" message only for CL - no problem accessing other sites. He then turned wifi off, and got CL no problem on 4G. No joke.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    that's what I'm getting at Weegie. Have heard a number of people saying that it was not getting connected by wifi, but as soon as wifi was switched off, could connect fine. Too many to be a co-incidence.

perhaps it might just be the wifi being a bit clunky, but just seems odd. I can't believe they would, I know CL is not exactly flavour of the month with certain people at the club, but still can't believe they would deliberately ban it from wifi !!
  • Options

that's what I'm getting at Weegie. Have heard a number of people saying that it was not getting connected by wifi, but as soon as wifi was switched off, could connect fine. Too many to be a co-incidence.

perhaps it might just be the wifi being a bit clunky, but just seems odd. I can't believe they would, I know CL is not exactly flavour of the month with certain people at the club, but still can't believe they would deliberately ban it from wifi !!

I really, really can.
  • Options
    Some phones use 3g/4g AND wifi to download whilst some just use wifi (even if there is 3g/4g connection).

Could explain why some could access it and some couldn't via wifi
  • Options
    I tried wifi from the LW and couldn't get CL then used 3G no probs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My issue was with lack of connectivity in general but blocking a particular site such as Charlton Life is not technically very difficult.
  • Options
    I couldn't use periscope to broadcast the riots. Connection too poor apparently.
  • Options
    My other half blocked Charlton life on our home wifi because I spend too much time on it apparently so I know it's easily done.

Very very petty though, especially since most have 3G so it wouldn't really deter people from communicating re protests (that's what I think they would have blocked it for).
  • Options

My other half blocked Charlton life on our home wifi because I spend too much time on it apparently so I know it's easily done.

Very very petty though, especially since most have 3G so it wouldn't really deter people from communicating re protests (that's what I think they would have blocked it for).

Agreed however the mobile signal is not that great in the upper North. May have just been the connection was overloaded.
  • Options
    I experienced the same issue. But I can't believe they'd be that stupid, it has to be a coincidence. 3G and 4G are pretty good there, the only result of blocking CL is bad press for them. Although I'd happily be wrong on this, any stick is a good stick to beat them with.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

sam3110 said:

Are you sure you were picking it up on the wifi and not 3G/4G? Mr W is a bit more tech minded than me - he tried first on the wifi and got a "server not found" message only for CL - no problem accessing other sites. He then turned wifi off, and got CL no problem on 4G. No joke.
    Was exactly the same for me, which is why I started the thread to see if others were having the same problem. I didn't actually think they had blocked it (I tried votvonline.com and that worked!) but it did seem very suspicious... and you wouldn't really put it past them, would you?
  • Options
    MarkyE83 said:

People being able to get on and others not suggests that it's the Charlton Life hosting service preventing a denial of service attack. Everyone on the CAFC WIFI is likely to be using the same outgoing IP address. Anything over 300 (or whatever the limit is) concurrent connections maybe seen as an DOS attack. Just one of many possible explanations.

This sounds like it could be the most plausible explanation.

It was bizarre, as I could load any other page on WiFi, went to this site and then got unable to connect. Turned WiFi off and immediately connected fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    MarkyE83 said:

People being able to get on and others not suggests that it's the Charlton Life hosting service preventing a denial of service attack. Everyone on the CAFC WIFI is likely to be using the same outgoing IP address. Anything over 300 (or whatever the limit is) concurrent connections maybe seen as an DOS attack. Just one of many possible explanations.

That's a pretty plausible explanation.

Although, those who attempted to connect and failed are quite likely to usually use the club WiFi to access CL - hence their surprise.

Which would suggest any protection afforded by CLs service provider would have to be a recent addition and/or there would've had to have been an unusual surge of "non regular" users trying to connect.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mine has been fine since day 1. No joy for the last 2 games in the North Lower.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was in West lower bar area. At half time tried CL on Wifi. Didn't work so swapped over to 4g which was fine. Retried wifi again, same problem. Did this 3 times in the space of a couple of minutes. Could have been a dodgy access point I guess but my initial thought was something funny was going on!
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Looks like posts are being edited as well............
  • Options
    Wasn't just CL, I couldn't access the WiFi connection, server error on the explorer page it opens
  • Options

sam3110 said:

I know that by default iPhones now will use the phone network if the wifi signal is weaker - "Wifi Assist" Apple call it.

Presumably some Android devices have a similar feature.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

MarkyE83 said:

Although, those who attempted to connect and failed are quite likely to usually use the club WiFi to access CL - hence their surprise.

Which would suggest any protection afforded by CLs service provider would have to be a recent addition and/or there would've had to have been an unusual surge of "non regular" users trying to connect.
    If it's not been an issue in the past, it's indicative that something has changed, be it the security layer of the provider that hosts CL or the data centre where it's hosted, a sudden dramatic surge in concurrent match day users accessing the site through the club wifi, or security settings around Charlton's public wifi.

Maybe try using the TOR browser if it happens again to see if that resolves without having to switch to using mobile data allowance.
  • Options
    Could be a number of things. If the club were genuinely blocking it, no one would be able to get through. It being interpreted as a DOS attack is entirely possible. It could also be issues with mobile browsers. Could simply be that the connection is a a bit wonky. I've had the WiFi at the Valley go out on me a few times.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

MarkyE83 said:

with the 12pm announcement, this seems quite possible
  • Options
    Surely at 12pm people were on their way to games, and so not on the CAFC wifi?
  • Options
    I was on the free wifi during the game and no problems for me accessing CL.
  • Options
    I ran out of bread for my sandwiches this morning, surely they wouldn't be that cynical would they?

We all want them out, but come on people, the fact that some got on and some didn't, proves it wasn't blocked, calm the feck down.