Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga knows what he is doing

I like Riga,

Just something about him.. He don't play the puppet game and the way he talks seems to inspire me. He wants to bring in his own players and maybe RD trusts Riga enough to do this which could be a big bonus for us.

Weather we go down or stay up

Next season we need Riga. He is the best we are going to get under RD

Can't wait for Rotherham next week, first Charlton game in over a year and a half absolutely buzzing!

Comments

• Options
    Riga has a very avuncular nature. Players will play for him because of his personality.
  • Options
    No I like Riga to. Cool and calculated and makes us efficient Can't believe his not said it.
  • Options

He's a puppet

No. Not for me. I think Riga is an honest manager. I agree with the OP that he knows what he is doing and knows how to make decisions. I wonder how many on here would have thought that we would have started with Bergdich and without Poyet. He's his own man alright.

He has control over the squad (lucky him) but I can't see him demanding anyone in. He knows he'll be out on his ear if he does or he'll just be ignored.
  • Options

He's a puppet

No. Not for me. I think Riga is an honest manager. I agree with the OP that he knows what he is doing and knows how to make decisions. I wonder how many on here would have thought that we would have started with Bergdich and without Poyet. He's his own man alright.

He has control over the squad (lucky him) but I can't see him demanding anyone in. He knows he'll be out on his ear if he does or he'll just be ignored.
    I think he will bring in his own players, and not just in the summer. I think he will get a striker in this January.

I also think he is a very good manager.

After what has gone on before, the players must think he is god.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

He's a puppet

A puppet who can see the strings, I think. And I mean that as a compliment, genuinely. He's worked with RD enough before to be aware of how the man operates (and will have instructed Meire the Mare to operate) and the limitations this will inevitably bring. Chris Powell tried to fight them - he got sacked. Fraeye willingly went along wholesale and spouted the party line on command - even an actually competent manager would struggle in those circumstances.

Riga on the other hand seems to be a bit more sly. He knows how to bend the rules without actually breaking them, he knows how far he can push it without antagonising the powers that be and he's got enough experience working under the model to have adapted to it. He's certainly pretty PR savvy I think, enough to have parlayed his past achievements into fans accepting him without accepting his bosses, and will have made it very clear to KM that if she is too critical of him... she's the one whose rep will suffer (more than currently).

Now it's possible that the job is just too difficult and we're thoroughly doomed but of all the managers' we've had under RD or could realistically get... I make Riga just about the best choice of a poor field. I would hope his next move is pointing out that he chooses a defender and we instantly improve from conceding 6 goals a game to just one, and that he needs equal influence in signings further up the pitch.
    Great post. Hopefully he'll keep us up but can't see it unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He seems to be a good coach, gets his teams organized, scouts opponents well, has a gameplan, and speaks well after the match.

For managers, this is roughly the least I expect. These are all things in a job description that fall under "Must Have." But under this regime this has become the exception rather than the rule.

All that being said, I think we could do a lot worse, including some of the British managers touted around these parts.
  • Options
    Jose Riga is the best hope while RD is the owner.

The fact that the Serb was offered the job before him was a joke. (true)
    The London end of CAFC went into meltdown.
    Places like Serbian, Montegro, and Hungary were having a good laugh at our expense, wondering how a guy who had a better record in Ice Hockey,and had only been a coach in the lower level of eastern European football, could coach in the championship.
    For the first time, Duchatelet listened to the laughter,
    and some tears over the phone.
    Meire or Murray ? you decide.

The remit as far as the fans who don't want us relegated are ?

Finish in the top 2 of 5.

MK Dons, Bristol City,Rotherham, and Bolton.

If you achieve that Jose; I hope you are kept on by the next owner.
    And even if you don't, i hope you see out your 18 month contract.

• Options
    If Riga really knew what hes doing, why on earth would he come back to manage us again?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Because he got a 18 month contract in the championship; one of the biggest leagues in Europe, knows some of the players, is a course and distanced Winner at keeping us up, most of the fans respect him,
    he has a proven record at setting team up in a cohesive manner,
    He won't be a puppet, because he wasn't last time, even thou he only had a 3 month contract then. He likes London (if he ever gets any time off)
    And when you are out of work, even basket cases like CAFC and Blackpool seem worth a punt.
    Don't judge him at Blackpool, when he took over in June 2014, they had 3 players !
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

He's a puppet

I think he will bring in his own players, and not just in the summer. I think he will get a striker in this January.

I also think he is a very good manager.

After what has gone on before, the players must think he is god.
    I don't think we need a striker, we need a creative midfielder, or we need a JBG who cares enough to actually play to his capabilities.
  • Options
    I like him too. Sitting where I do, I get a view of how he interacts with players, and the body language suggests to me that they like him too. He is calm on the touchline, and has quiet words with players who come over to him. Gets his message across without leaping around like a firecracker as Luzon did, and still not sure any player really understood a thing he said. Also, from his interview with Channel 5 when asked about the protests, he said the fans were with us, meaning him and the team, and didn't seem to mind the protests against the regime. Others would say it was distracting for his players, and use it as an excuse when things don't go well.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I like him, had balls to start TWWW yesterday and we were unlucky not to win.
  • Options
    The bare minimum you'd expect from a professional coach is the ability to organise and motivate his team. He did that yesterday. I think the performance has been overblown due to the shocking nature of the previous two. There was very little quality on display against a team with a shocking recent record. I never felt we were going to win and if anything had a nagging worry that Rovers would nick it.

• Options
    the bare minimum id expect is 3 points at home with manager bounce,hope thats not the best he can get out of the team but fear it is