Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Converting great Charlton games into HD

edited January 2016 in General Charlton
The old black and white footage is fine for the pre-war stuff as you can't expect more but the standard definition footage of the 90s-2000s is quite low quality - especially on
any decent sized screen.
eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBgdt__ejaI

Is there any likelihood that in the future we will be able to see some of our greatest post war players in HD?

I suppose it all depends on cost and how the recording was done.

Comments

• Options
    You can't add pixels that were never there
  • Options

• Options
    You forget we could have been 5-0 up by the time Utd scored in that game. That equaliser is an underrated moment from our time in the Prem though... the awareness of Kins to nod that ball to Robbo instead of just lofting it back into the middle of the box in a pressure moment like that is sensational. And that little snippet of footage of Robbo running off sideways, celebrating and pointing like an overly excited crab while the camera vibrates from the noise of the home crowd... magic.
  • Options
    You cannot upscale video.
  • Options

If the club are going to spend money digitally remastering old highlights, I;d rather they spent some time on stuff post 2006, ideally changing the results to show we are still in the Premier League.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

If the club are going to spend money digitally remastering old highlights, I;d rather they spent some time on stuff post 2006, ideally changing the results to show we are still in the Premier League.
    That's true. We could have a CGI Varney and McLeod smashing the goals in and winning the Championship under Pardew...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Basically for you to be able to master video in full HD, the original source video needs to be of super-high quality, equal to 35mm film (what you see in the cinema). The trouble is, highlights of Charlton games from the mid 2000s and earlier would of been filmed with standard def cameras, as the games were only ever intended to be broadcast on SD TVs, this was a period before HDTV became standard.

So unfortunately, Charlton games will only be available in HD if they were filmed at that resolution originally, and anything prior to 2005/6 (I think!) wasnt. 480p is the best youll get.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Basically for you to be able to master video in full HD, the original source video needs to be of super-high quality, equal to 35mm film (what you see in the cinema). The trouble is, highlights of Charlton games from the mid 2000s and earlier would of been filmed with standard def cameras, as the games were only ever intended to be broadcast on SD TVs, this was a period before HDTV became standard.

So unfortunately, Charlton games will only be available in HD if they were filmed at that resolution originally, and anything prior to 2005/6 (I think!) wasnt. 480p is the best youll get.

That's a shame...
  • Options
    just to add what's been said before, HD cameras weren't used widespread in broadcast til around 2004-2005. So if it's recorded at SD then I'm afraid you're stuck.
  • Options
    Just such a good game. Classic Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One of the greatest seasons for following us, not just the football but the team the fans were United together, I enjoyed that season home and away, very boozey very loud and piss taking journeys up and down that league

The board and fans were starting to feel more seperated though it was the season you felt we were not being viewed as plucky litttle Charlton by certain folk upstsirs,

What id give for jj, bartlett,jenson, ,kins, Powell, fish,robbo, to be at the Peak now for us

Where did it all go wrong Murray you wanker