Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Return to The Valley ... January 30, 1993

edited January 2016 in General Charlton
Thought this might stir some memories ... a picture I took ahead of the game v Notts County on January 30, 1993, seven weeks after we returned home. The limited capacity (about 8032 I seem to recall) meant home fans shared the then South Stand, accessing it through the walkway over the crumbling East Terrace. The Return to the Valley was the culmination of an incredible effort by the fans and the start of an often amazing decade or more. Who'd have thought then we'd be having to fight for our soul again two decades later ...

Comments

• Options
    well said .great photo
  • Options
    2.1 Pardew scored the winner I think from the spot. Away fans used to get about 300 seats in the temporary west stand.
  • Options
    Didn't Alex Dyer get a goal winner in this one? Close range at the South Stand End.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Looks like one of the players has dropped his change
  • Options
    Great atmosphere in them days the football didn't matter then the day out did.

• Options
    I remember being there whenever smashed Notts County 5-1 (or 5-0). When was that? Great game.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I remember being there whenever smashed Notts County 5-1 (or 5-0). When was that? Great game.

13th November 1993
  • Options
    Those floodlights look like they might be really bright.
  • Options
    We were there. I wonder what eight-year-old Katrien Meire was doing? Following the match closely on BBC World Service? Hmmm.
  • Options
    The return to that Valley was achieved fundamentally by the supporters. The Valley we have today was achieved by supporters, players who understood what it means to play for this wonderful club, directors who also (at the time) gave full support to the club as supporters, and a manager who just knew what it all meant.

How dare she not understand that it is OUR club - take one look at that photo Katrien and you may just begin to understand that we are not customers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought all of the Jimmy Seed was given to gone fans and it was split after the East was built?
  • Options
    My first game back at the Valley, took my dad for a corporate Christmas present day out. I have still got the oval back to the valley paperweight from that day