Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brexit - Roland Out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35427610

I was just reading the above article from the Beeb concerning the effect on British football if there were to be a Brexit.

Of course the article focuses mainly on the Premier but it got me to thinking..........if there were a Brexit, moving players and coaches around the network wouldn't work so well anymore. Roly would have to find them a room in Calais while they were waiting for a lift.

With his EU passport, Roland wouldn't be able to come to games so often either.

Goodness knows if there'd be any objections to KM getting a working visa.........might number in the 2% range I suppose?

Comments

• Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35427610

I was just reading the above article from the Beeb concerning the effect on British football if there were to be a Brexit.

Of course the article focuses mainly on the Premier but it got me to thinking..........if there were a Brexit, moving players and coaches around the network wouldn't work so well anymore. Roly would have to find them a room in Calais while they were waiting for a lift.

With his EU passport, Roland wouldn't be able to come to games so often either.

Goodness knows if there'd be any objections to KM getting a working visa.........might number in the 2% range I suppose?

Was talking about this very thing with a friend a few days ago. I think a Brexit would kill off RD's plan completely. His recruitment policy heavily relies on EU nationals having the ability to move and play here without need of work permits etc. Not sure how easily it would be for Roland to get work permits for the age and quality of the players we have seen arriving.
  • Options
    That's it then ... vote Out
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Oh shit. Now I've got a dilemma.

Not to worry, whatever relationship there would be with the EU, following a Brexit, it's highly unlikely that the borders would be so strictly policed that our Dear Leader's talented footballing stars would be kept from our adoring gaze.

There'll be far too much horse-trading about the terms, should there be a vote to leave (I would hope not, but Norn Irn has done far better out of EU membership than with Westminster alone - for some reason we have an image problem). Don't be surprised if the outcome, re: free movement within the current EU, is only slightly changed, to require proof of support or the restrictions on benefits that Call Me Dave is having such difficulties with at the mo.
  • Options

Uboat said:

Not to worry, whatever relationship there would be with the EU, following a Brexit, it's highly unlikely that the borders would be so strictly policed that our Dear Leader's talented footballing stars would be kept from our adoring gaze.

There'll be far too much horse-trading about the terms, should there be a vote to leave (I would hope not, but Norn Irn has done far better out of EU membership than with Westminster alone - for some reason we have an image problem). Don't be surprised if the outcome, re: free movement within the current EU, is only slightly changed, to require proof of support or the restrictions on benefits that Call Me Dave is having such difficulties with at the mo.
    Can't agree with that. It's free movement that is one of the cornerstones of EU philosophy and it's exactly that which is pissing off the Brexit hopefuls. Any deal that still allows free movement after a Brexit vote would be poisonous.

• Options

Uboat said:

Can't agree with that. It's free movement that is one of the cornerstones of EU philosophy and it's exactly that which is pissing off the Brexit hopefuls. Any deal that still allows free movement after a Brexit vote would be poisonous.

I agree that it would be poisonous, but, in my opinion, whoever is negotiating for HMG will wet themselves at the thought of anything undermining the City; and I fully expect the EU to play hardball in negotiations and may threaten London's position (I have half a notion that there is something about financial institutions active in the EU having to be based in the EU).