Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rome recommendations

Hello all,

Going to Rome in a couple of weeks with the wife for five days and planning to visit all the obvious sites (Pantheon, Colleseum, Vatican etc) but would welcome any tips and recommendations from anyone on here who has been there. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Went at Christmas; if you are at all sensitive to religious twaddle then avoid the Vatican especially Saint peters basilica and unless you are a pilgrim don't get the audio guide. The square itself is worth a visit. Rome is a great place to eat just about anywhere; great service and affordable. Colliseum a must with an audio guide. I thought all of the forum and the palatine hill was great again with an audio guide else its a bit of a muddle. Best bit though as with all of Italy is eating out and coffees in the squares and just walking through the streets. Great place.
  • Options
    I was there in November to watch the Rome derby, would highly recommend a visit to the Olimpico for a match. There are 4/5 club shops which sell the match tickets, one right next to the Trevi fountain. I went with my mrs and she really enjoyed it, also you can have a beer in your seat.

If you love arrancini and want a bite on the go, visit 'Mondo Arancina' Via Marcantonio Colonna, 38, you are spoilt for choice and will want to force as much in as possible.

For St Peters I would reccomend going in the last couple of hours of the day, much shorter line to get in and you don't miss anything.

Don't buy any tickets from the touts for anything, it is easy to get tickets for everything.

• Options
    The Vatican Museums was worth the potentially long queue. That ends with the Sistine Chapel.

Try this for something different, a crypt decorated with human bones.

If you'd like to see Rome or Lazio then let me know and I can look into tickets for you.
  • Options
    Do as the Romans do.
  • Options
    I went in December, just before Christmas.

Try the Birra Peroni restaurant near the Trevi Fountain. If you like beer of course. The food is decent too.

Me and my (new) fiancé got engaged in Giardino Degli Aranci (the orange garden) which is very pretty. That's the other side of the Roman forum. Travestere region I think.

Try not to get fed up with the selfie stick sellers, they are persistent.

Make sure you try the gelato. It's tough to find a proper bar in the evenings, but if you just fancy a beer most of the pizza cafes sell it.

You'll have a great time anyway, enjoy
  • Options
    Thanks all. Who needs TripAdvisor!
  • Options
    If you like Poncey cocktail bars there is one on the walk from the Trevi fountain to the pantheon. Salotto 42 I think. Chilled vibe and fancy decor. A bit pricey but worth a stop for one or two
  • Options
    As Redpanda said, Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini is a great place to spend half an hour.
  • Options
    Keep your wits about you and watch out for distraction pickpockets or overly friendly Gypsies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    get a train to florence. x10 prettier with 10x the amount of fit american birds that will love your accent. Sod the missus! ;)
  • Options
    Beware the Ides of March, so I'm told...
  • Options
    Another vote for Santa Maria. What a church. Avoid eating anywhere near touristy locations, bit of tripadvisor research will see you right
  • Options
    Where are the Italian home 6 Nations games played?

Is there one on ?
  • Options
    Go to the one in Italy not the one in Georgia USA
  • Options
    Oh lucky you!

Here's my favourite restaurant in Rome, I'm always glad I bother to go there, it's a little way out of the centre but you won't be sorry :smile:http://www.trattoriadacesare.it/?lang=en
    Nice people, nice place, you'll need to make a reservation.

Another recommendation is to visit the current French Embassy which is in the 16th Century Palazzo Farnese, amongst other things the frescos are simply stunning! You'll need to pre-book to go, here's a website http://www.inventerrome.com/index.php/en/visiting-the-palazzo-farnese
    Close to the bottom of the screen you'll see the button to take you to the Booking Calendar.

Lastly, but not leastly, the Jewish quarter in Rome is well worth going to, there are a couple of decent cafes and a number of good restaurants. If you're interested Google can help, but here's one to get you started http://www.fodors.com/news/foodies-guide-to-romes-jewish-quarter-6869 :smile:
  • Options
    I'm going with the Mrs for Valentines Weekend as I got two tickets for the Italy vs England game. Kill two birds with one stone!!
  • Options

Not been for a while but away from the usual stuff like the Colosseum etc., we went to the Villa Borghese. Some nice artwork etc and set in very nice grounds. Book tickets in advance online.

• Options
    If you have a free day catch the train to Naples (takes about an hour or two), from there you can catch a local train on to Pompeii which takes an extra 30-mins (Or you can stay on the train and go to the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento), isnt expensive to do at all
  • Options
    Hire a car and go play with the Rome traffic. Great fun, better than a trip to Chessington World of Adventures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love Rome.

Colosseum, the palatine, forum, arch of constantine, trajan markets, circo massimo & monument to vittorio emanuele are all on top of eachother and can be done in a day.

Want to do the appian way & catacombs that lead away from the colosseum too.

Spanish steps, villa borghese, vatican, travestere (a little 'local' part of Rome across the river on the vatican side), trevi fountains, all the piazza's, campo de fiori etc etc

Just a quality place to wander around, get lost, have a coffee/beer, eat and wander off again! I'd go every year if I could.
  • Options
    Lucky enough to have been to Rome with advice from a few Italian colleagues. Firstly I will pass on the best advice they gave me which is to NEVER eat or drink at a place without a menu, or price list. A minority of places in Rome see tourists coming a mile off and can essentially charge you what they want in this instance. Heard of a story where one place charged a yank EUR 100.00 for two ice creams. Police didn't want to know.

An obvious one - but watch your pockets, lots of theft going on in Rome - as always.

Try 'Trattoria Vecchia' for some grub,great value and real Roman dishes, Carbonara is the dish of Rome this place serves it like no other.
    'Pizzarium Bonci' is also worth a visit, best pizza I've ever had hands down.

Avoid the tube, LU puts the Rome metro system to shame.
    1 million people during rush hour and only two (and a half) lines, it's beyond crazy. Rome is mostly accessible by foot or bicycle anyway even a bus would be a better option.

As mentioned by someone else, head towards Trastevere. Plenty going on and the locals flock there. Not as many tourists in the way.
  • Options
    I went in 2014. I did a few of the main sites but mainly enjoyed just walking around. There's something interesting every hundred yards or so.

Only tips I can offer - if you are going the Vatican, get tickets in advance online or you'll be waiting half a day to get in. Try and get there earlier as well because there really are hordes of tourists taking bleeding selfies everywhere.

Don't eat anywhere within 5 minutes walk of a major tourist attraction. There's a very high chance it will be crap and expensive (this goes for anywhere in the world, onviously but Rome seems particularly bad).
  • Options
    Thanks everyone - this is really useful!
  • Options
    Jints said:

I went in 2014. I did a few of the main sites but mainly enjoyed just walking around. There's something interesting every hundred yards or so.

Only tips I can offer - if you are going the Vatican, get tickets in advance online or you'll be waiting half a day to get in. Try and get there earlier as well because there really are hordes of tourists taking bleeding selfies everywhere.

Don't eat anywhere within 5 minutes walk of a major tourist attraction. There's a very high chance it will be crap and expensive (this goes for anywhere in the world, onviously but Rome seems particularly bad).

Had some great meals in little backstreets behind major tourist attractions. If you can't eat within 5 mins of one attraction you'd be within 5 mins of the next! So where do you eat, miles outside of Rome!?
  • Options
    I've been there many times and there is some great advice in this thread.

For a very special occasion dinner, the La Terrazza dell Eden restaurant is truly superb.

https://tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d798098-Reviews-La_Terrazza_dell_Eden-Rome_Lazio.html.

A rooftop restaurant with adjoining cocktail bar, close to the Via Veneto with superb views over Rome. Wonderful to watch the sunset from up there and then see the sights of Rome picked out in the floodlights as night falls.

Pricey, but an evening you will always remember.
  • Options
    Spanish Steps are currently closed for refurb. Trevi fountain has just reopened after a refurb.

Went in November and used Dark Rome for tours of Colloseum and Vatican. Both very good if want a whistlestop tour. Still get a good experience, loads of knowledge but could easily have spent longer at both sites but as we were only there for 4 days/3 nights was ideal. Q jump too.

If you want to go to watch Roma or Lazio play then listicket is the company to use. Can buy tickets and print at home. Went to Champs League game and atmosphere was quality. Since then i heard league games at Stadio Olympico are deserted due to penning the home fans in behind glass windows.

There are supposed to be some really good rooftop restaurants. We went to Hotel Forum rooftop restaurant which was cack, so don't go there!

Whatever you do, pick up a free map from any hotel. Pretty much standard across Rome and very very useful.