Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sanogo / Fanni v Kermorgant / Tomlin

edited February 2016 in General Charlton
Fraeye said in his interview with the NS that when he was sacked they had Yann and Lee Tomlin potentially lined up to come in.

Wasn't followed up after he went and we brought in Sanogo and Fanni instead.

Personally can't see it as the wages from the two we didn't sign must considerably outstrip what we are contributing / paying for the two we did

However, Squad wise, what do you think come end of season would have proved to be the better signings?

Comments

• Options
    Let's wait and see.
  • Options
    I think Kermogant went to Reading for £500,000 - can't see Roland swallowing his pride enough to re-sign him AND pay £50k more than he got for a player who is now two years closer to retirement. Even if we were only in for a loan, I find it hard to believe.

I don't see us getting much back from Fanni - Solly seems to be over his injury problems, so looks like a bit of extra cover, which we definitely need, not going to change the course of our season though.

Don't know much about Sanogo, don't know anything about Tomlin. I can't imagine either would have provided the same boost, on the pitch and off it, as Yann's return would have. Just the sort of player you want in a relegation battle.
  • Options
    Yann and Tomlin are proven performers at this level, Sanogo and Fanni are relatively unknown quantities. Currently I think most of us would have preferred YK and LT, but time will tell if it was the correct or not.
  • Options
    We will see what Sanogo and Fanni can do. If they are not very good then everyone will say we should have got Yann and Tomlin.

But we're never going to see Yann and Tomlin play in our side so how can we compare?
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

MrLargo said:

I think Kermogant went to Reading for £500,000 - can't see Roland swallowing his pride enough to re-sign him AND pay £50k more than he got for a player who is now two years closer to retirement. Even if we were only in for a loan, I find it hard to believe.

I don't see us getting much back from Fanni - Solly seems to be over his injury problems, so looks like a bit of extra cover, which we definitely need, not going to change the course of our season though.

Don't know much about Sanogo, don't know anything about Tomlin. I can't imagine either would have provided the same boost, on the pitch and off it, as Yann's return would have. Just the sort of player you want in a relegation battle.

The club gave him a chance to stay why should they meet his new wage demand that he left the club for !!!
    Morning Katrien. The ticket office is a bit short-staffed this morning, can you pop in and help on the phones for a bit?
  • Options
    All of them preferably. Lee Tomlin is exactly what we need as a creative central midfielder but we also needed cover at CH & RB and a new striker so as per usual it looks the the transfer policy is incomplete rather than totally flawed
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Yann and Tomlin are proven performers at this level, Sanogo and Fanni are relatively unknown quantities. Currently I think most of us would have preferred YK and LT, but time will tell if it was the correct or not.

Vaz Te was apparently proven at this level and didn't live up to expectations.

Let's not write of these new guys before they've even kicked a ball.
  • Options
    I think the big difference, moving forward, is that the two we did sign will not be a financial constraint next season so they are less of a gamble. Roger Johnson, obviously, negotiated an extra year due to how desperate we were. I can see us paying him off before June 2017! Yann has, already, surprised me with the number of games he has played since he left us (well last season anyway) and with his track record and his age we might find him to be a liability next season if he isn't able to play regularly and is earning more than twice what a lot of our players are.

If we go down we will never know what the alternative would have been, a bit like that game at Bramall Lane that we lost against a third division side, but if we stay up I think having two players that we don't have to keep for next season (or pay off) might be a benefit - especially if Riga is going to be selecting the players rather than KM and RD.

My feelings on Yann are a little different. I don't know how many of you saw John Humphrey play for us at his peak but he was an outstanding player in the old First Division. When he came back to us to 'do a job' he was still worth his place in the side but towards the end he was a shadow of the player that he's been six years earlier and I'm happy to remember the Frenchman at the top of his game not being made to look slow or past it by a player that will amount to less than half of what Yann was.

Just my preference, of course, but if we stay up then I'll be very pleased that he didn't come back. If anything it is fitting that the last time we saw him at The Valley he was lifting the League Championship trophy. I'm happy for that to be the last time I see him on a football pitch. Good luck to him but I'd prefer to keep my memories as they are.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

cfgs said:

I thought the gist of my comment was wait and see, although initially you would opt for the known quantity who knows what will happen.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2016
    Yann & Lee Tomlin are proven in the championship and are a safer bet than Sanago, who has a lot to prove (will give him a chance but think that he is more likely to be Frimpong than Coquelin).

@Garrymanilow is spot on that Fanni is different as he is a defender and needed as cover for Solly / Teixiera.

I can't see RD agreeing to Yann given his previous outspokenness and would have most likely baulked at the cost. It might have appealed to Yann to come back to help save Charlton from relegation. Fraeye talks about Tomlin happy to come to Charlton, if true, what happened to that loan ?

It looks to me that Fraeye believes in its press interview that the deals were progressing and after he left, they stopped, like they didn't arrive at Charlton because he was no longer head coach. A bit delusional that. More likely is that both moves broke down at the money stage for both Yann & Tomlin.

They would have been good transfers, particularly as they are fit to play and have played together. They would have fitted well into the team.

Will be interested if the emergency loan window brings in any decent players (not holding my breath). A decent right wing / would help to provide service for the strikers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

MrLargo said:

The club gave him a chance to stay why should they meet his new wage demand that he left the club for !!!
  • Options
    cfgs said:

iaitch said:

cfgs said:

I thought the gist of my comment was wait and see, although initially you would opt for the known quantity who knows what will happen.
    cfgs

I agree let's wait and see, wasn't having a pop at you. Lots on here using the term proven at this level but you never know till you see the player.
  • Options

I think the big difference, moving forward, is that the two we did sign will not be a financial constraint next season so they are less of a gamble. Roger Johnson, obviously, negotiated an extra year due to how desperate we were. I can see us paying him off before June 2017! Yann has, already, surprised me with the number of games he has played since he left us (well last season anyway) and with his track record and his age we might find him to be a liability next season if he isn't able to play regularly and is earning more than twice what a lot of our players are.

If we go down we will never know what the alternative would have been, a bit like that game at Bramall Lane that we lost against a third division side, but if we stay up I think having two players that we don't have to keep for next season (or pay off) might be a benefit - especially if Riga is going to be selecting the players rather than KM and RD.

My feelings on Yann are a little different. I don't know how many of you saw John Humphrey play for us at his peak but he was an outstanding player in the old First Division. When he came back to us to 'do a job' he was still worth his place in the side but towards the end he was a shadow of the player that he's been six years earlier and I'm happy to remember the Frenchman at the top of his game not being made to look slow or past it by a player that will amount to less than half of what Yann was.

Just my preference, of course, but if we stay up then I'll be very pleased that he didn't come back. If anything it is fitting that the last time we saw him at The Valley he was lifting the League Championship trophy. I'm happy for that to be the last time I see him on a football pitch. Good luck to him but I'd prefer to keep my memories as they are.

RD's preference will always be loans in January because then he doesn't have to pay them until June 30th/July 31st (there's a standard clause that means contracted players get an extra month's money if they haven't lined up another club, I believe), never mind for future seasons. Loans will end at the end of the season. Off the payroll for the summer. After that it will be signing uncontracted (desperate) players until the end of the season, because they have no bargaining power.

This means that he can then get back to his model of bringing in people from his nonsense scouting network over the summer and go round the whole cycle again to show that he was right all along.

That's where we're heading if we stay up. If we go down, Riga will no doubt be sacked so he can bring in the next network numpty. Anyone who thinks that he is going to change course, learn from his mistakes, etc, hasn't been paying attention, IMO. The model is his only interest in owning Charlton.
    Painfully true. We have to make him leave as soon as possible. We've got absolutely no future with this crazy man in charge !!! :(
  • Options

Fraeye said in his interview with the NS that when he was sacked they had Yann and Lee Tomlin potentially lined up to come in.

Wasn't followed up after he went and we brought in Sanogo and Fanni instead.

Personally can't see it as the wages from the two we didn't sign must considerably outstrip what we are contributing / paying for the two we did

However, Squad wise, what do you think come end of season would have proved to be the better signings?

You'll be able to make your own mind up about Tomlin tomorrow .
  • Options
    AFKA go and stand in the corner for an hour for believing anything that comes from the Belgians.
  • Options
    I am surprised that no new left back has come, interesting to see that Rhoys Wiggins, who
    was surplus to requirements, has gone to Bournemouth, more great dealing by our management team.
  • Options
    Maybe surplus to requirements because he's not very good?
  • Options
    I know we were in touch with Yann and he really wanted to come to us.

I know we contacted him, spoke to him and asked what he wanted. He told us

I know we sent him an email the following morning wishing him well in his career

FYI - We is Katrien
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    More cock from colin
    Why does he do it
  • Options
    I'm not sure about Sanogo but I think Fanni will play a key role for us throughout the rest of the season. Would have loved us to get Tomlin though, we're crying out for a player like him.