Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Trump become President?

Comments

• Options

Lets all be shocked

Will we also be shocked by the first person condemning her actions?
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Lets all be shocked

Thats what you take from that?

You can see why some people, including myself, where sceptical of SOME posts on SDAddicks link from yesterday. Twitter was awash with those type of 'incidents'.
  • Options

So hatred and bigotry isn't just one sided then?

Surprised there hasn't been more condemnation on here from those that are usually very shouty about these sorts of things.

There's some very big brooms in people's hands.
    I'm left leaning, was trying to stay off this and brexit thread today but those that are attacking this guy are just pricks. Hopefully they get done good and proper.

The problem with a lot of Trump's campaign is that he made outwardly aggressive statements about other races/immigrants. Now the educated person would understand that not all trump supporters voted for Trump because they are racist. the guy getting beaten up might have voted for trump because he can't stand clinton.

Trump himself has to shoulder a lot of the blame for this type of behaviour and also the reactions of those who have protested against him, because you cannot throw out sensationalist statements and stir up people's emotions without realising this could be a consequence. Whether you like Trump or are left/right you have to admit his conduct has been shocking and yes it makes for good headlines, but if you are in a position of influence and power, then there is cause and effect.

The two other factors that have come into play are the general low levels of morality in tabloid media, and in this example, racial tensions have been and always will be very high in the US.

Trump I think has now realised the magnitude of what he's taken on, and very quickly understood (hopefully), that he cannot run his presidency like he has his campaign.

The biggest problem I think he's got is that there are going to be a lot of blue collar joes out there expecting a wall, or the revival of the rust belt. If he doesn't deliver on that, then he very quickly will be between a rock and hard place.

To me he's a salesman who has hugely overpromised and will do very will just to under deliver.

Expectation has been raised, people have come on here saying a revolution is in the air and change is on its way.....
  • Options

Lets all be shocked

One false story means we should ignore every single hate crime in a country.

Sounds about right. Confirmation bias.
    Where have you seen me say that? hahaha
  • Options

Lets all be shocked

That goes without saying, that should be the reaction by every person who see's it (unless you're SELR Addick or yourself, it would seem, both trying to divert the issue to something else) but the person condemning shouldn't have anything to condemn. Don't get why people would fully make this stuff up, that's the sort of stuff that spreads genuine fear amongst people.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Ok, I'm just answering a question put by someone, asking for an example of "bad political correctness".

Please don't start a row, as I'm not looking for one.

Now, without splitting straws, as to whether this is or isn't, the point is it's in the news today as an example.

Actress Caroline Quentin has said that the traditional panto dame should be banned because it is "sexist, offensive and unflattering to women."

Now, this is trivial and I don't care one way or another, but it's this sort of stuff that has been spoken for what 30 years, that get's people backs up and has done over a considerable period of time.

Once again, please don't say what this to do with Brexit or Trump. I'm simply answering a question put, re an example of bad political correctness.

Not to start an argument but it seems that her comments were taken completely out of context by surprise surprise.....The Daily Mail.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past few years never just read a headline and if it's published by certain media outlets always check their source material.
    I wouldn't know about that. They were discussing it on Loose Women.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Lets all be shocked

I have no doubt there will be false claims. But I guess I just don't understand how to explain the racial divide in our country, because I can't get anyone who disagrees with me to read the places that are currently reporting hate crimes done by seemingly emboldened Trump supporters.

My country is different from yours. It's different from Australia. In some parts of the country slavery ended in 1964-65, in a lot of your life times. In 1965, "all" black people got the vote. In 2013, the Civil Rights Act was repealed and states in the south immediately went about putting vote suppression legislation and practices into place. Because we have de-centralized elections, each state gets to set their own voting laws.

This is the Southern Poverty Law Center (SLPC). an organization that sprung up to fight the backlash against the Civil Rights movement in which the Federal Government had to force (sometimes with force) voting rights and the right to the same bathrooms, schools, water fountains, lunch counters, and bus seats. The organization was founded in 1971, and since then have been fighting organizations like the KKK and many others. 1971, again well within many of your lifetimes. They are currently tracking the hate crimes coming in.

https://www.splcenter.org/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9AOj_VnOZwbspgsWsgKBrBMEo82OeFEW0Wrc8r_BV_0aAlo68P8HAQ

This is not me complaining because I "lost" an election. My personal political views lost the election when the candidates were announce. This is me trying to say to you my country is sick. Very sick. In ways you don't understand. That did not start of end with Trump, but the sickness has been emboldened since Trump's election. This is not "leftist" or "PC" culture. This is me saying that Jews are getting Swastikas, black people are being called "nigger," Mexicans, Muslims, and blacks are all being told to go back to where they came from. and women are being told they can be grabbed and raped now. There is no political points scoring to be had here. I am not trying to get you to change your mind on immigration or foreign policy or economics. I am trying to appeal to you inherent human decency that a lot of our most marginalized citizens are very scared with very good reason.
    Your country has a huge problem with race. Absolutely agree with you 100%. The police force in particular needs to be sorted out. Anyone who says that the US doesn't have a racism issue is lying.

That being said, tweets like what that young Muslim girl put out will make situations more hostile. More people have their back up, there was just no need for it. As there's no need for the fucking swastika's, more stupid when you realise it's around rememberence day of all days ffs. Don't know what's wrong with some people.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Ok, I'm just answering a question put by someone, asking for an example of "bad political correctness".

Now, without splitting straws, as to whether this is or isn't, the point is it's in the news today as an example.

Actress Caroline Quentin has said that the traditional panto dame should be banned because it is "sexist, offensive and unflattering to women."

Now, this is trivial and I don't care one way or another, but it's this sort of stuff that has been spoken for what 30 years, that get's people backs up and has done over a considerable period of time.

Once again, please don't say what this to do with Brexit or Trump. I'm simply answering a question put, re an example of bad political correctness.

Not to start an argument but it seems that her comments were taken completely out of context by surprise surprise.....The Daily Mail.

If there's one thing I've learned in the past few years never just read a headline and if it's published by certain media outlets always check their source material.
    Ffs, should have just admitted to reading the headline, save the embarrassment haha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For what it's worth, I am keen on political correctness, and least my understanding of the term, because I believe it is all about respect and equality.

So, I am very happy that things like the Black and White Minstrels (a type of character regularly mentioned in Wodehouse novels that I adore) are no longer acceptable, because the characterisation implicit in white people blacking up in this way is the sort of thing parodied in Blazing Saddles. It's no different to the idea that the nineteenth century Punch-style depiction of the Irish, Jews, the working classes would be utterly unacceptable today.

However...

I think that Caroline Quentin, in this context, is wrong. The traditional Pantomime Dame was never intended to be seen as a real woman. It is and always has been a comic pastiche, or grotesque, that was easily seen as a man (unconvincingly) in drag, it's The League of Gentlemen's Barbra, or Little Britain's Emily Howard. If you make a Pantomime Dame reflect real women it is no longer a Pantomime Dame. It's like the subversion of the Lord of Misrule or the Fool through (admittedly, often fairly dubious) humour in older forms of entertainment. There's no reason why, if the actor can carry it off, a woman should not be the Dame, but she would have to make her creation into that type of caricature.

In any event, in a week where I saw a number of reviews of Glenda Jackson playing Lear, I have a sneaking suspicion that Ms Quentin is aiming at the wrong target. Now, if she was to lament the tendency of casting directors for TV and film to ignore female actors of a certain age (sex kittens or grandmothers seem to be okay, though those in the their middle years less so), and that they are very poorly served with worthwhile roles, I would be inclined to support that stance.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

SDAddick said:

Lets all be shocked

I have no doubt there will be false claims. But I guess I just don't understand how to explain the racial divide in our country, because I can't get anyone who disagrees with me to read the places that are currently reporting hate crimes done by seemingly emboldened Trump supporters.

My country is different from yours. It's different from Australia. In some parts of the country slavery ended in 1964-65, in a lot of your life times. In 1965, "all" black people got the vote. In 2013, the Civil Rights Act was repealed and states in the south immediately went about putting vote suppression legislation and practices into place. Because we have de-centralized elections, each state gets to set their own voting laws.

This is the Southern Poverty Law Center (SLPC). an organization that sprung up to fight the backlash against the Civil Rights movement in which the Federal Government had to force (sometimes with force) voting rights and the right to the same bathrooms, schools, water fountains, lunch counters, and bus seats. The organization was founded in 1971, and since then have been fighting organizations like the KKK and many others. 1971, again well within many of your lifetimes. They are currently tracking the hate crimes coming in.

https://www.splcenter.org/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9AOj_VnOZwbspgsWsgKBrBMEo82OeFEW0Wrc8r_BV_0aAlo68P8HAQ

This is not me complaining because I "lost" an election. My personal political views lost the election when the candidates were announce. This is me trying to say to you my country is sick. Very sick. In ways you don't understand. That did not start of end with Trump, but the sickness has been emboldened since Trump's election. This is not "leftist" or "PC" culture. This is me saying that Jews are getting Swastikas, black people are being called "nigger," Mexicans, Muslims, and blacks are all being told to go back to where they came from. and women are being told they can be grabbed and raped now. There is no political points scoring to be had here. I am not trying to get you to change your mind on immigration or foreign policy or economics. I am trying to appeal to you inherent human decency that a lot of our most marginalized citizens are very scared with very good reason.
    Your country has a huge problem with race. Absolutely agree with you 100%. The police force in particular needs to be sorted out. Anyone who says that the US doesn't have a racism issue is lying.

That being said, tweets like what that young Muslim girl put out will make situations more hostile. More people have their back up, there was just no need for it. As there's no need for the fucking swastika's, more stupid when you realise it's around rememberence day of all days ffs. Don't know what's wrong with some people.
    That's a start and I'll take it. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

For what it's worth, I am keen on political correctness, and least my understanding of the term, because I believe it is all about respect and equality.

So, I am very happy that things like the Black and White Minstrels (a type of character regularly mentioned in Wodehouse novels that I adore) are no longer acceptable, because the characterisation implicit in white people blacking up in this way is the sort of thing parodied in Blazing Saddles. It's no different to the idea that the nineteenth century Punch-style depiction of the Irish, Jews, the working classes would be utterly unacceptable today.

However...

I think that Caroline Quentin, in this context, is wrong. The traditional Pantomime Dame was never intended to be seen as a real woman. It is and always has been a comic pastiche, or grotesque, that was easily seen as a man (unconvincingly) in drag, it's The League of Gentlemen's Barbra, or Little Britain's Emily Howard. If you make a Pantomime Dame reflect real women it is no longer a Pantomime Dame. It's like the subversion of the Lord of Misrule or the Fool through (admittedly, often fairly dubious) humour in older forms of entertainment. There's no reason why, if the actor can carry it off, a woman should not be the Dame, but she would have to make her creation into that type of caricature.

In any event, in a week where I saw a number of reviews of Glenda Jackson playing Lear, I have a sneaking suspicion that Ms Quentin is aiming at the wrong target. Now, if she was to lament the tendency of casting directors for TV and film to ignore female actors of a certain age (sex kittens or grandmothers seem to be okay, though those in the their middle years less so), and that they are very poorly served with worthwhile roles, I would be inclined to support that stance.
    #TheRealIssues :smile:

There's a fair amount I'm going to need to Google out of this NIA :).

*Edit: Sorry I've just seen the post you were responding to, I missed it. I thought you'd just started in on this randomly, which I found very amusing nonetheless.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

• Options

Lets all be shocked

Thats what you take from that?

You can see why some people, including myself, where sceptical of SOME posts on SDAddicks link from yesterday. Twitter was awash with those type of 'incidents'.
    I'm sceptical about almost everything on every form of social media. But, I do think it is fair to point out the comment immediately below the tweet from ABC.

I hope that in every case where an allegation is made that it is reported to the police and it is investigated appropriately - and, if false allegations are made, that the necessary action is taken.

However, my gut reaction, from very little experience (other than occasional time spent in the USA and knowing how reactionary some second or third generation Irish Americans can be), is to believe that there will be a significant number (even if a tiny minority of the US population) willing to take advantage of the election to seek to intimidate others.
  • Options
    Why is this thread being sunk? I thought this site was all for free speech?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

LuckyReds said:

I thought his Twitter feed would calm down after his victory. I thought wrong.

Interestingly, I remember looking at the responses to his tweets before the election, and they seemed largely positive. It was as though his supporters were his only real followers, and there was a bit of an echo chamber of slogans and memes. That's not the case anymore.
    Yeah that was very disappointing.

It's going to be strange seeing how he goes from campaigning to governing. His set-up was entirely for campaigning. This is the kind of stuff that, when everyone is covering everything you do because you're the President, I just don't think it will play, regardless of how silly I think it is.

In general I think he'll be tamer. It's worth remembering he was a Democrat from 2001-2008, arguably the hardest time to be a Democrat. He is many things, but he is not an ideologue. He reads certain rooms very, very well, and certain situations well, and he is a good negotiator and he negotiated his way to the Presidency (there's a lot of blind optimism here but it's all I've got right now).

I have spent a lot of time in the past couple days wondering what kind of President he will be, and honestly, the congress scares me more. I am currently looking at having to change jobs because I will almost certainly lose my healthcare which I purchase through the exchanges set up by Obamacare. If that is repealed entirely, I won't be able to buy health insurance for myself because I have a pre-existing condition, meaning companies won't have to cover me. So I'll probably end up leaving one of the best research institutes, let alone technical universities in the country to join whoever will have me and can provide me health insurance.

Sorry, I digress. I think Trump is going to get very bored with Governing, but I don't know what happens then. Does Pence do it? Does he assemble an alt-right staff, led by Breitbart's Steve Bannon (who scares me more than the rest) to try to run the country? The thing that gives me hope is that few of the names being thrown around (and treat those with skepticism) have ever done any serious governing before. The thing that scares me is that the names being thrown around haven't done any serious governing before.
    @SDAddick One thing that has stuck in my mind since I started reading this thread is your post the other day about losing your healthcare. It really is scary... I feel so sorry for you and sincerely hope you'll get it sorted out eventually.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Will look into it
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Will look into it
    Do your bit aye
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha what a dickhead.

Joe Walsh that is not you SELR!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    colthe3rd said:

It's been sunk, not closed, so free speech is still in effect. I suspect the mods are just hoping that without the constant reminder of it keeping popping to the top of the forum, those of us with the attention span of a gnat will forget about its existence and discuss less contentious issues, such as whether Johnny Jackson's legs have finally gone.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

colthe3rd said:

It's been sunk, not closed, so free speech is still in effect. I suspect the mods are just hoping that without the constant reminder of it keeping popping to the top of the forum, those of us with the attention span of a gnat will forget about its existence and discuss less contentious issues, such as whether Johnny Jackson's legs have finally gone.
    Complete hypocrisy from admins imo. Time to start up CACL.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

aliwibble said:

colthe3rd said:

Start on some sort of small time, grass roots message board that's only available part-time and where the quality mimics something from GeoCities then slowly work our way back up the message board pyramid until one day, years from now, we can take on CL on even terms!

...then argue about whether JJ's legs have gone.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    SDAddick said:

colthe3rd said:

aliwibble said:

colthe3rd said:

Start on some sort of small time, grass roots message board that's only available part-time and where the quality mimics something from GeoCities then slowly work our way back up the message board pyramid until one day, years from now, we can take on CL on even terms!

...then argue about whether JJ's legs have gone.
    No argument. JJ conserves his energy for poaching the odd vital goal.
  • Options
    cant help but think of this nick cohen article from last summer's labour election defeat, I see loads of similarities with what's happening in america

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/09/labour-left-miliband-hating-english
  • Options
    edited November 2016

SDAddick said:

LuckyReds said:

I thought his Twitter feed would calm down after his victory. I thought wrong.

Interestingly, I remember looking at the responses to his tweets before the election, and they seemed largely positive. It was as though his supporters were his only real followers, and there was a bit of an echo chamber of slogans and memes. That's not the case anymore.
    Yeah that was very disappointing.

It's going to be strange seeing how he goes from campaigning to governing. His set-up was entirely for campaigning. This is the kind of stuff that, when everyone is covering everything you do because you're the President, I just don't think it will play, regardless of how silly I think it is.

In general I think he'll be tamer. It's worth remembering he was a Democrat from 2001-2008, arguably the hardest time to be a Democrat. He is many things, but he is not an ideologue. He reads certain rooms very, very well, and certain situations well, and he is a good negotiator and he negotiated his way to the Presidency (there's a lot of blind optimism here but it's all I've got right now).

I have spent a lot of time in the past couple days wondering what kind of President he will be, and honestly, the congress scares me more. I am currently looking at having to change jobs because I will almost certainly lose my healthcare which I purchase through the exchanges set up by Obamacare. If that is repealed entirely, I won't be able to buy health insurance for myself because I have a pre-existing condition, meaning companies won't have to cover me. So I'll probably end up leaving one of the best research institutes, let alone technical universities in the country to join whoever will have me and can provide me health insurance.

Sorry, I digress. I think Trump is going to get very bored with Governing, but I don't know what happens then. Does Pence do it? Does he assemble an alt-right staff, led by Breitbart's Steve Bannon (who scares me more than the rest) to try to run the country? The thing that gives me hope is that few of the names being thrown around (and treat those with skepticism) have ever done any serious governing before. The thing that scares me is that the names being thrown around haven't done any serious governing before.
    @SDAddick One thing that has stuck in my mind since I started reading this thread is your post the other day about losing your healthcare. It really is scary... I feel so sorry for you and sincerely hope you'll get it sorted out eventually.
    Thanks Jessie, that concern means a lot. But I should add that there will be a lot worse off than me. My best friends could see their marriage annulled and risk not only losing their healthcare but all of their rights as partners, including hospital visiting benefits, death benefits, the right to not be discriminated against, and the demoralizing fact that they are no longer treated as equal citizens.

I don't know what will happen. We're about to enter the part of the preverbal map marked "There Dragons Lie."

If people want to help protect civil rights, women's health rights, and social justice, please consider donating to the following organizations dedicated to those causes:

American Civil Liberties Union
    Planned Parenthood
    Southern Poverty Law Center

If anyone would like more information on these organizations, or other organizations who will be helping keep people safe please let me know.
  • Options

America is different in that it is so big and powerful. Ford for example don't give a sh*t about people - just accumulating money. They would have slaves working for them if they could get away with it. Same with Nike and a long list of evil corporations. Trump is saying to them, if you want to close a plant down in America and pay Mexicans peanuts to replace Americans, I'll hammer you. America is probably big and powerful enough to be protectionist. If he goes through with this, it could work for some Americans. That is an idea from the left, not the right! What did Clinton say about this? She probably went to a party/reception or two paid for by Ford. I'm not defending Trump here btw.

Muttley, I like a lot of what you say, but I wonder where you get what you say about Ford from? I worked for Ford (admittedly about a decade ago) and they were paying shop floor workers $82 per hour, they provided the best pensions and healthcare, and they were unionised. Contrast with Toyota - they paid their factory workers (in the US) $52 an hour and provided the absolute minimum benefits, and were not unionised. Things may have changed, but my experience was that Ford looked after their US workers. Of course, they were moving as much as possible out of the US, but their US-based workers did well.

My financial advisor, by the way, thinks Trump's plan of forcing companies to bring production back to the US will cause a recession and will not increase employment to any great extent, due to the fact that manufacturing is now so automated.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    To be honest - I used Ford as a typical Car producer. I am not saying it will or won't work - just that Trump offered something different to people in this respect. The point is, if Ford decide to move elsewhere to cut costs, but you can replace ford with any car maker or other large producer.

Teh electorate are fed up of being told this by financial experts, whether it is true or not!