Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newspapers: The Independent to cease as a print edition.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35561145

The beginning of the end for print media and ink-covered hands.

I suspect the Charlton match programme pamphlet may be in app form only next year.

Comments

• Options
    real shame. big fan of the independent. hopefully the i will keep going if Johnston press buy it.

what hurt them the most is the ludicrous price they charged for it. the best thing to do was to merge the two and maybe charge 50/60p.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I took an OU Technology course back in 1980, one of the main themes of which was that newspapers would gradually be phased out by the turn of the 21st century .. it hasn't happened yet, but it's coming ..
    the i is still being printed I assume and is possibly the best value newspaper in circulation .. the Independent is up against far better 'serious' newspapers: The Times, Telegraph and Guardian ... the Russian owner has got out before he loses even more money ..
  • Options
    It's the end result of years of cost-cutting. There was a time when the Indy had one of the best teams of journalists in the country, with a distinctive and independent voice. Sadly, with one or two honourable exceptions, that is no longer the case; it's now filled with bland Agency stories and, speaking as one who lost the print edition several years ago over here, the website is utterly woeful.
  • Options
    The only UK newspaper worth reading. As a luddite when it comes to reading on line I'm disappointed. I agree that the website is poor too. Maybe switching all their resources to that will improve things?

As I said on another thread it reflects the British mentality of only wanting your preconceived ideas reinforced, not questioned.