Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice on holidaying abroad with a baby

2»

Comments

• Options
    Make sure you choose the airside branch though.
  • Options

Have been holidaying in Greece (Kalamaki, on Zakynthos) for years and having the children didnt stop us - daughter was 10 months old on her first visit and she was already walking!

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Don't burden 200 other people with a screaming shit machine, go somewhere that you can drive to.

Under 11's should be banned from entering aircraft

What did you do when you were under 11? Live in the spare room? ;)

I am lucky enough to be able to let my kids see the world - would much rather my boys can spend their school holidays playing on beaches, seeing famous cities and seeing some sunshine. Not driving an hour to a pissing down beach.

Planes normally try and sit the kids and families together
  • Options
    What kind of idiot flies to a family holiday destination then moans there are kids on the flight?

Yes a screaming kid can be annoying, but I can guarantee their parents are more stressed by the situation than you are.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Don't burden 200 other people with a screaming shit machine, go somewhere that you can drive to.

What did you do when you were under 11? Live in the spare room? ;)

I am lucky enough to be able to let my kids see the world - would much rather my boys can spend their school holidays playing on beaches, seeing famous cities and seeing some sunshine. Not driving an hour to a pissing down beach.

Planes normally try and sit the kids and families together
    skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/children/sun-safety-tips-for-infants-babies-and-toddlers
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

You are joking right?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What kind of idiot flies to a family holiday destination then moans there are kids on the flight?

Yes a screaming kid can be annoying, but I can guarantee their parents are more stressed by the situation than you are.

Exactly this @MrOneLung
  • Options
    You'll be fine, all airlines are massively accommodating if you have young kids and let you on and off first. Give them a bottle or a dummy during take off and landing to help with pressure in the ear and keep it to under 3 hours flight time, for your own sanity!

You can get everything while you're there, providing you have a car or are near a large town although if Jr is partial to a particular brand of food or powdered milk take a few with you just in case.

Have a look at this site. http://www.babyfriendlyboltholes.co.uk/ as you can search for things like stair gates supplied etc which not every self catering place tells you.

...And make the most of traveling to places before they get to school where prices go through the bloody roof during holiday time and you'll be holidaying in the UK like the rest of us :-)

• Options
    Irrespective of whatever you decide, just make sure that you have the parents/in-laws lined up for a week when you return so you and your missus can go away on your own and relax!!! Don't do it, it's a mare!!!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Me!! I bet these are the same sort of people who let their kids noisily munch popcorn in the cinema!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you have any consideration for your fellow man don't take pre-schoolers on planes unless you're absolutely certain they won't scream the place down. Quickest way to make yourself the most hated person in a confined space is a toddler with earache or in many cases a toddler with no boundaries. They'll never remember anywhere they've been before they're about 6 anyway, save your money and 300 people's (each way) sanity and go to Butlins, it really is terrific. Radical suggestion: entertain them at home.
  • Options
    We took our oldest to Spain when she was 8 months old. The flight out was OK but the return flight was a nightmare. We were stuck on the tarmac for an hour before we took off and she cried all the way through that and the first two hours of the flight. All our family holidays since have been to Cornwall and Frinton.
  • Options
    Get on holiday with them before they start costing money to go (3) and then can't be taken out of school so it all becomes double expensive (4/5).

Some strong antihistamines or travel sickness pills will knock them out for hours as well so they don't need to get in the way of your fun.
  • Options
    Somewhere warm & most importantly not too wet. Had great hols with our kids, 1-2 hour flights were doable, long-haul a challenge (we were living abroad, it was a trip home not a jaunt...). Spain, Portugal if you are ok with flying, otherwise i'd suggest taking the ferry to France (Vendee perhaps).

Just avoid rainy places...a mate got married in Ireland when our eldest was about 15 months old so we thought we'd have our hols there. There were days we were cooped up, it was simply too damp to go out...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    In seriousness my youngest turned 5 this weekend and I still wouldn't fancy a flight beyond about 4 hours which limits you to Europe and the Canary Islands at a push.

We went for a very nice villa in Majorca for this summer.
  • Options
    Flew to California over Christmas as we do at least twice a year.

Kids are always a dream. Loads of films to watch, Disneyland to look forward to, iPads etc.

Other than asking if that's Santa Monica when you are flying over Cardiff I can't see what the fuss is all about.
  • Options
    You'll buy every round.