Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Interesting game for next season...

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
Coventry.

I wonder what the reception for Dowie will be like...

Comments

• Options
    He' s had the last laugh this season.(spending twice the normal transfer budget) and still helping to get us relegated with his poor signings etc,but we will have the best laugh next season.
  • Options
    Don't see how Dowie has had the last laugh at all.

There are no winners in the Charlton-Dowie affair.
  • Options
    we were unbeaten with him in the carling cup.
  • Options
    I know we all have a vested, emotional, interest in the the Chalton-Dowie affair, but the thing you've got to remember is that he was trying to do his best for the club.

Yeah, so he made some bad buys and wasted some money, but he wouldn't have done that intentionally. It happens in every industry - someone gets appointed to a new job and it doesn't work out. Ok, so we don't know all of the exact details of what went on behind the scenes, but I'm sure he wanted to win as much as the rest of us.

I'm not going to sing his name and praise him to the heavens when he visits, but I will give some polite applause for the breath of fresh air he breathed into the club last summer. We all knew we had a tough first 8 games, yet we still played some reasonably attractive football compared to what we'd been used to.
  • Options
    It wasn't the buys that killed us, it was changing half a mid-table team in one go, continually playing Faye and Traore + two up front - and failing vs Fulham (a) and Watford (h).

Carson and Diawara were good signings but where was the striker and centre mid with all that money?

Looking forward to Coventry (a) and the rest - but for one year only please!
  • Options
    reid was a long hamstring injury.jfh just didn't score goals that he always had and maybe the coaching team that the board employed could not handle dowie who possibly could not handle the constraints that he undertook.

i really believe dowie was passionate about winning with charlton and maybe the job was beyond him.fortunately the board recognised their mistake in their third appointment of the season,got rid of reed and let pardew have his own man.
  • Options
    That's assuming he's still in charge at Coventry next season.... his record there is pretty grim
  • Options
    Dowie was an is an Idiot. The only Mistake the board have made and it was massive. We should give him no respect whatsoever.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite] I'm not going to sing his name and praise him to the heavens when he visits, but I will give some polite applause for the breath of fresh air he breathed into the club last summer.

I reckon you've got it about right there.

He had a hard act to follow, he took the job on- it was, on balance more than he was capable of, he made some mistakes, quite probably as a result of the pressure both put on him and by his desire to succeed, and got the sack.

In all walks of business, this happens everyday.