Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Feature Films made at The Valley

I remember seeing on TV back in the '70's an ancient Artur Askey comedy, The Love Match, about a football mad steam engine driver who always manages to get to his teams home games in time.

The football sequences were shot at the Valley in the 1954-55 season.

Have there been any other use of the ground as a set or back drop to a film or TV drama?

Comments

• Options
    I seem to remember a St. Bruno advert was filmed there in the early sixties.
  • Options
    Sure I've seen 1 or 2 horrors there
  • Options
    An episode of Drop the Dead Donkey was filmed at The Valley (though set at Highbury in the story)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    A film called "Made" 1972, go to about 55 mins in, there is a screen filmed outside the ground, with a fight between two sets of fans.

The whole film is based around Woolwich, Charlton & Greenwich.
  • Options
    Paddy Power adverts are the closest I can come up with.
  • Options
    I'm sure there was a film called 'Reverse Cowgirl' filmed there quite recently.
  • Options
    RD sees a horror movie from the ground on a regular basis, so he says
  • Options
    'Blow up' from the 60s has a scene from behind the open South end of the ground. (A bloke down the pub told me this. Might be a load of old bull).
  • Options
    Nightmeire on Floyd Road starring Katrien Meire runs daily to a limited chosen audience (mostly staff members). More general public weekend showings have been met with less success and outright condemnation of the performance of the main characters (Meire and Murray) by those attending.
    It is a true horror story however!

Producer and Director: Roland Duchatelet
    Known also for Nightmeire at Standard Leige: Belgium 2014
    Duchatelet eschews normal convention by using untrained personnel for the major roles in his productions with leading lady Katrien Meire a former lawyer appearing as an International Affairs Manager in NaSL and a CEO at the Floyd Road production.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    25May98 said:

'Blow up' from the 60s has a scene from behind the open South end of the ground. (A bloke down the pub told me this. Might be a load of old bull).

South end? Is that opposite the Cupboard end?
  • Options

I do believe that it was originally called the open end, in contrast to the 'covered end'. I said south end to make sure. All before my time. My first game at the Valley was 1984
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I do believe that it was originally called the open end, in contrast to the 'covered end'. I said south end to make sure. All before my time. My first game at the Valley was 1984

I thought it was called the heights - I may be wrong thou
  • Options
    I think I heard it on the most recent fans forum meeting. The man with red hair said 'please call it the Jimmy Seed stand' and someone on here said 'if you are proper old school it is called the open end'. Again, I may be wrong. I never attended the Valley with it open. Always had a roof with 'FADS' emblazoned on it, then 'Jimmy Seed'.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

I think I heard it on the most recent fans forum meeting. The man with red hair said 'please call it the Jimmy Seed stand' and someone on here said 'if you are proper old school it is called the open end'. Again, I may be wrong. I never attended the Valley with it open. Always had a roof with 'FADS' emblazoned on it, then 'Jimmy Seed'.

He prefers "strawberry blonde" I believe... :wink:
  • Options
    Well, I've seen him down in the cupboard and that's not strawberry blonde. It's Charlton Red. He looks the business.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    25May98 said:

Well, I've seen him down in the cupboard and that's not strawberry blonde. It's Charlton Red. He looks the business.

Some people are very precious about calling it the Jimmy Seed Stand and I was only leg pulling - I should of added a smiley winky thing. But you have got me thinking with regards to its name pre-jimmy seed. I think I referred to it as the Shirley Heights or the opposite end (as opposed to the covered end). Rarely did I venture there as I progressed from the covered end to the Terraces (east stand)..... Roasted peanuts anyone?
  • Options
    I'll take a leg pull.
    I still find 'East stand' doesn't always roll off of the tongue easily. My first few games at the Valley were on the East Terrace and they are fond memories. I still prefer terracing and with our slide into lower divisions I guess there will be many an away game with terraces.

Even further off subject now, why do we only have one stand named after a Charlton legend? When Curbs quit I remember Murray being interviewed (match of the day I think) and he said that there will be a stand named after him. Another lie?
  • Options

A film called "Made" 1972, go to about 55 mins in, there is a screen filmed outside the ground, with a fight between two sets of fans.

The whole film is based around Woolwich, Charlton & Greenwich.

25May98 said:

Made definitely, Blow Up probably not.....more likely to have been Chelsea.

Incidentally the 1967 play Zigger Zagger, by Peter Terson (written 1966) is about the traditional rivalry between two clubs - the reds and the blues. The reds top player is Cliff Holton, so it looks like Terson was influenced by Charlton and Millwall in the mid '60's.

Haven't heard anyone chant Zigger Zagger for decades now.....
  • Options
    I think they are filming a remake of 'one flew over the cuckoos nest' their now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of Blow up was filmed in Maryon Wilson park so possibly a shot of the Valley somewhere. I have tried to find it but not yet. I might have to watch the film soon.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Lots of Blow up was filmed in Maryon Wilson park so possibly a shot of the Valley somewhere. I have tried to find it but not yet. I might have to watch the film soon.

Its a long time since I saw Blow Up, you are right quite a bit was filmed in Maryon Wilson Park, and there maybe a shot of the Valley.
    We always called Jimmy Seed Stand, the Open End